It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:13 am

Digitech Whammy 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Digitech Whammy
I know of Emmett's 9-string guitar with the "wild-string" but does anyone have experience with the Digitech Whammy pedal using the Stick?

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Digitech Whammy
AnDroiD wrote:
I know of Emmett's 9-string guitar with the "wild-string" but does anyone have experience with the Digitech Whammy pedal using the Stick?

Yep. I use whammy/pitch bend stuff all the time. Really fun! Or wait... did you want a real Stick player to answer? Lol

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have the Whammy-DT and really like it mostly for octave stuff.

I like pitching it down an octave and play a muted tapped thing using my index finger and my pinky five frets up and one string up. It's the same note... With a nice distortion is sounds like a palm muted chuga-chuga sound.

There is a line I play in a song with a singing high pitched sound which I like to play around the 12th to 17th fret area where the notes ring out better. I could play it higher on the fretboard but it just doesn't ring out like I want it to so I use the Whammy set an octave up.

I also like mixing the direct signal with the octave up sound. It gives it a bite to make the notes poke out.

I was using it to pitch up a fourth so that I can make it like I have an extra string but it was strange if I ever practiced without headphones or at low volumes, or with no amp. At low volumes I can hear the string direct from my fingers and through the amp and it made it hard to know where I was... :roll:

I've tried other software pitch-shifters but the Digitech unit sound the best. I'm not a purist for the original sound. I have the most modern one and really liking it.
The newest (version 5 I think...) and the DT are polyphonic so it doesn't have the glitchiness the original has. But if you want that the version 5 has a switch to go between the classic and polyphonic modes.

The harmony modes are a lot of fun to play with too.

I don't do much sweeping moves like Ton Morello but it's nice to be able to control the speed it sweeps to the pitch you want.

The Whammy-DT takes up a lot of space on my pedalboard but I can't find anything that can replace it so I keep it. I can't seem to let go of it...

Enjoy!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks Jay and Dean. (Jay you're a REAL Stick player). I kinda thought you'd be the guys to reply. Always wanted to play Zoot Allures the RIGHT way. And do Jimi divebombs. Dean, the DT is the one that's piqued my interest.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great thread guys. Can you explain the difference between the DT and the V5 model of the whammy? Can't quite get the difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Scronk wrote:
Great thread guys. Can you explain the difference between the DT and the V5 model of the whammy? Can't quite get the difference...

The DT model has a section which doesn't use the expression pedal in addition to everything the V5 does. It's either on or off and set at 1 to 7 semitones, octave, or oct+dry up or down. It does have a momentary switch to turn it on or off.

One thing the DT doesn't have, which the V5 does, is the "classic" mode which is monophonic and sounds like the original whammy if you are all about the sound.

Another reason I like the DT is that I can set the Whammy side to one pitch and the DT side to a different pitch and not have to change settings too much between or during a song. (I have a song which plays at octave down at one part and octave up on another part...) It also has midi and footswitch inputs for changing things by foot or midi.

I was just at the DigiTech website and they have a new whammy effect called the Whammy Ricochet... Looks cool!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery