It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 pm

Swivel belt hook 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Swivel belt hook
Has anyone adapted the belt hook on the stick to have a swivel locking clip center of mass tied to a shoulder strap?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:08 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Swivel belt hook
A number of us have wanted to do this, to get rid of the belt hook and shoulder strap. There's been a few iterations and homegrown designs....one of which looks like a boomerang and apparantly works quite nicely. Theres a thread here somewhere but Im too lazy to look.

cheers,
Jinaan Tawnic

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Swivel belt hook
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9556&start=10

I think this will get to the thread and pics of my boomerang set up.

After a few iterations I played with to find a way to use a guitar strap and not the belt clip... this works for me. I found that the original mounting holes for the belt clip worked just perfectly to balance the instrument on its own with this assembly.....as the belt clip is just mounted at the right balance point to start with....duh.... The boomerang has enough of a big tripod sort of footprint that it's very stable and comfortable standing or sitting.....one version I made was smaller and that one worked but wasn't as solid feeling without your hands on the instrument. I hang the boomerang in front of me, attached via a wide guitar strap. The stick is attached to it via a camera mount and I've taken off the shoulder strap as its not needed. The stick balances on its own in front of me. Raise your hands and play.

I dont think a "swivel" would be a safe or desirable set up as then your hands would need to support the left to right balance of the instrument.....think neck dive on a guitar but to both sides. I thought through that idea a bit admittedly in thinking about a sort of "quick disconnect" type of mount (conseptually just say an air hose connection as a thought experiment). Stumbling across the idea of using a camera mount was the key for me. That gave a stable and solid connection to something attached to a guitar strap (the boomerang part I made) that the rest of it just came together.....for me at least. Getting the angles right between the body, both hands and the plane of the touch board became a matter of a little angled pedestal off the front of the boomerang that the camera mount is attched to. That took a few rounds of experimenting to get comfortable.

Good luck !!!

Don

Graphite 10 String Grand/ PASV-4 #5895

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:57 pm