It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

Mic Stand Stick Holder 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Mic Stand Stick Holder
I've seen a number of people on this board using straight mic stands as Stick holders. Usually involving some sort of a bracket/mount for the belt clip to rest on or be attached to in some way. Are most of these DIY projects? Is anyone on the forum selling these?

I've searched around the forum and Google and can't really seem to find any tutorials about it.

Gene is the first person who comes to mind because I've seen pictures of him using one.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:14 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Mic Stand Stick Holder
check out my solution :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10260&hilit=+stand

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11411&
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11053&
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10985&

If you're so inclined, PM Gene Perry (earthgene) for ordering/availability info.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:05 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Reading through some of the reviews and just chuckling. Tip of hat to you both for the good word. John has mentioned that TAGG production has stopped until March, but he can still take orders. The next batch will be a bright and hone toned Western Maple. They are $120 + shipping and all handmade.

Happy Wednesday!

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well, the keywords for this: "TAGG" and "cymbal stand" indicate why I didn't find anything on a search! Guess I was a bit out of the loop. :) Thanks to everyone for posting up the info with the quickness.

Reading through some of the past links, it seems that some of the users had problems with cymbal stands and keeping the Stick in a steady position. Or having issues with the wingnut not seating well enough.

Is there a consensus yet of an optimal type of stand for stability? I don't need multiple configurations, as I'm the only Stick player in the house. Ideally something that's stable and adjustable enough for a 6' tall person to play comfortably.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:59 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boaz wrote:

Boaz, this is amazing. :lol:

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:08 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

TappistRT wrote:
Reading through some of the past links, it seems that some of the users had problems with cymbal stands and keeping the Stick in a steady position. Or having issues with the wingnut not seating well enough.

Is there a consensus yet of an optimal type of stand for stability? I don't need multiple configurations, as I'm the only Stick player in the house. Ideally something that's stable and adjustable enough for a 6' tall person to play comfortably.
I'm happy with the stability, but I spent a bit more on my cymbal stand, and the stand is definitely a major contributor. The most flexible element in the whole setup is the belt hook on the Stick itself...it's got a pretty thin section between the hook features and the instrument and therefore flexes. When I'm playing, though, it doesn't come into play, because I'm standing up against the instrument and my hands are on it.

It's true that the wingnut does not lock it in place hard, so it can rotate if it's nudged, but I don't find it to be a big issue. Every once in a while I'll notice that it's moved a bit while I'm playing.

Basically, my point of view is that these are nit-picky factoids. The plain and simple reality for me is that it works. It's not like a piano that is all but immovable when you're sitting at it, and it can't ever be positioned exactly like it would if I had it on my belt (quite close, though). However neither of these holds a candle to the benefits it brings. I can't foresee a circumstance in which I'd get rid of mine.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:08 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gusset wrote:
TappistRT wrote:

I'm happy with the stability, but I spent a bit more on my cymbal stand, and the stand is definitely a major contributor. The most flexible element in the whole setup is the belt hook on the Stick itself...it's got a pretty thin section between the hook features and the instrument and therefore flexes. When I'm playing, though, it doesn't come into play, because I'm standing up against the instrument and my hands are on it.

It's true that the wingnut does not lock it in place hard, so it can rotate if it's nudged, but I don't find it to be a big issue. Every once in a while I'll notice that it's moved a bit while I'm playing.

Basically, my point of view is that these are nit-picky factoids. The plain and simple reality for me is that it works. It's not like a piano that is all but immovable when you're sitting at it, and it can't ever be positioned exactly like it would if I had it on my belt (quite close, though). However neither of these holds a candle to the benefits it brings. I can't foresee a circumstance in which I'd get rid of mine.

Thanks for the info and review. :D

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:40 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Do the TAGG and the various stand options provide enough room for mounting if I also have a Lap Dawg attached to my belt hook? Or will I need to remove it?

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:41 pm