It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 am

Practice and busking 

Post Practice and busking
How would this amp go for practice and busking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6V3Qq ... e=youtu.be

Padauk 10 string #5330
Baritone Melody

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:21 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Practice and busking
The THR's are killer. I have used one as a small practice amp for guitar. Sounds great. Never tried one on my Stick, though...

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am a big fan of these little amps and use one almost everyday for practice with both Stick and acoustic guitar. They are mono though so you need a splitter cable...

For busking? :| I would say no unless it is a relatively quit spot. The odd thing is that when you are sitting right in front of the amp in the range of about
three feet it is one of the best sounding amps ever but with the Stick you cannot turn it up too loud or it bottoms out ;). Aside from not being able to handle the bass at a higher volume the over all sound drops off pretty fast. Like I said, for practice these are really nice and the bass
sounds really pure just not too loud. Also with busking in mind, what you might be hearing standing or sitting next to the amp is very different to what your busking audience will hear even at six feet away :cry:. The work around this is that you can use the amp as a head to process the sound and then run a line from the headphone out jack to a larger battery powered speaker like a roland BA-330...But if you are going to go through
that much trouble you might as well just get a little batterie powered processor (Zoom Multistomp). The BA- 330 sounds decent just plugged straight in too, but not great.

Busking in my humble opinion is not all it's cracked up to be but you can make some money doing it if your detirmined. Bob does it with great success but lets admit a few things about that; Bob is really good no #1, did I say really good? Yes, and it is almost like you need to be a better player
to busk than anything else for the simple reason that out there in the world people don't care,
they are just passing you by and they are where they are because they are on their way to somewhere else and your job is to capture their attention :shock:.
If you have a box of CD's you can make a little money but without that, just your case sitting there like an open mouth...
Well one time I was an 'official busker' for an art opening and I thought i would be in where it was warm by the wine and the cheese
schmoozing with the patrons, but my boss :shock: (as though you have boss' for stuff like that :P ) said "no I want you in the
lobby by the steps to bring people in off the streets". People were closing their umbrella's glancing at me as they went inside to get warm.
I made $9.75 I think because people felt sorry for me or thought I was homeless or something.
Gorilla busking or official busking, either way can be very long. You can be out there, or in under the eves for hours and the weird thing is, especially with the Stick, is that people want to talk about it, ask questions, touch it, even try it on (not recommended). Without fail someone always says is that a sitar :|.

If you really want to busk more power to you but if you just want to experience playing in front
of an audience, open mic's are probably better. Or set up a Stick circle, and if you don't have very many Stickickist in your town then something like a players circle for all kinds of
musicians. Just watch out for those 'singer song writers' Stick or otherwise :roll:.

All buskers luck to you.

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

JRJ - made me smile!

"Well one time I was an 'official busker' for an art opening and I thought i would be in where it was warm by the wine and the cheese schmoozing with the patrons, but my boss (as though you have a boss for stuff like that) said "no I want you in the lobby by the steps to bring people in off the streets". People were closing their umbrellas glancing at me as they went inside to get warm. I made $9.75 I think because people felt sorry for me or thought I was homeless or something"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I use a little Roland KC 110 when busking. Its compact and Works well enough with the Alto Stick and lasts a long time on 8 x AA batteries.
I can plug straight into it and get a reasonable sound. On the subject of busking I have a few spots I go to if the weather is nice. I quite like playing at the local market , nice Place to hang out for a couple of hours, play and chat to people . I dont expect to buy a Porsche doing this but my Busking Box at home has about 150 dollars in it now, I just put whatever I get in to it each time. Its just another element to improving my playing though I also do lots of open Mics at present.
The KC 110 is not especially loud , and ironically at the market last time a lady who watched for a while came up and thanked me for not being one of those guys that as she put it, Plays way too loud trying to let the whole place hear it.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery