It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm

Ideal way to add a mixer into my setup? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Ideal way to add a mixer into my setup?
Hey everybody!

So I'm still rocking my SWR Natural Blonde amp. Very flexible amp for Stick players, since it's essentially PA combo amp with dual inputs and flexible signal routing options. However, I want to add a few more sources into the system: a mic for vocals, a separate audio channel for my Beat Buddy, and be able to practice with headphones at night so I don't wake up my significant other. (The amp also has a master mute switch, so I can silently practice even if the headphone level corresponds to the master mix level.)

I'm new to fiddling with mixers, so please excuse the noob level questions. What would be the ideal way to connect all of the instruments, pedals, mixer, and amp together for optimal sound quality and flexibility? My thought process is this:
1. Connect Stick into front of amp (eq and gain stage)
2. Effects sends to my pedals
3. Affected signal from pedals into 2 different channels of the mixer
4. Main mix out into the effects returns of the amp

Is this the best way to route everything, or is there a better way? I've attached pictures of the Mackie mixer I'm considering to buy, along with a screenshot of the rear panel diagram of the Natural Blonde amp.

To perhaps throw a bit of a wrench into the works: my new pedal setup contains multiple Two Notes Le Preamp pedals with integrated DI outs and effects loops, so it would also be possible to start the signal at the pedals and go DI into the mixer. Any advantage to doing something like this instead? (Example picture attached of the Le Bass pedal).

Thanks again for all your inputs. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:49 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Ideal way to add a mixer into my setup?
i would connect the melody side to melody effects-than into the mixer
sam with bass channel

reverb to aux channel of the mixer-that way you can control how much reverb would go to each side -melody/bass

beat buddy

offcourse another options is to send each channel to amp fx send/return leaving out the stereo option

as for the beatbuddy -do you have seperate inputs for aux channel ?

also check out this FHF chapter which have some useful tips:

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boaz,

The Mackie mixer I'm considering only has one (mono) aux send, if that's what you're asking.

The second option your mentioned regarding sending each channel to the effects returns on the amps wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. The amp has stereo channels, but everything is summed mono output. So "losing the stereo option" as you mentioned wouldn't really matter for this particular setup.

At some point I will probably switch to using just a mixer and stereo PA setup when I'm more serious about playing out, but that's a discussion for another day. :)

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

still you can send the aux channel into a stereo reverb
and connect the reverb stereo out back to two channels in your mixer

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Also, thanks for posting the video. Lots of good rig talk in there.

I like Gene's method with the TC Hall of Fame Reverb Mini in his aux send. I might do something like that, according to your advice as well, to add some light reverb to the Beat Buddy and vocals. Or I could go full bore and do the full size Hall of Fame to get a second stereo reverb. :mrgreen:

I also have a Zoom MS-70CDR that I'm using for both sides of the Stick for some more spacious chorus/reverb/delay settings.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

If you get that Mackie mixer, I see it has the ALT 3-4. That allows running anything sent into the mixer to "re-patch" thru another stereo input, giving you a true stereo "patch-bay" i/o for effects. It's how I run my PODX3 so I can take advantage of all of it's gizmos for all of my other instruments (NORD LEAD II, drum boxes). Of course I can only process one@ a time, or all w/ same sound, but hopefully u get my drift. Check out the Mackie manual about the ALT 3-4. I love it, and didn't even realize it when I bought it, until I got into "problems" w/ stereo processing.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Android,

Thanks for the tip! Now I'm starting to see why small mixers are pretty crucial for Stick players in general. Especially if you want to drag a few friends up on stage with you as well ... or maybe just a boatload of effects! :lol:

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:51 pm