It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 am




Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Sharing Great Software 
Author Message
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:39 am
Posts: 27
Location: Beynes - FRANCE
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
Hi Karma,

Thanks a lot for the input!
I looked for VST host I could use in live situation for quite a long time.
I found few years ago a software called LiveProfessor (http://audiostrom.com/). It is quite stable a good, but a bit complex to setup when you have a lot of scenes.
The main thing I miss about it is the ability to create (like in Mainstage) controller panels. The thing is I'm using Windows....
GigPerformer seems to be the exact missing software I was looking for.

Thanks again!

_________________
Gautier, very happy owner of a Railboard...


Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:44 am
Profile
Contributor
Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 101
Location: SoCal
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
Skydiver wrote:
Hi Karma,

I've heard the Ircam stuff is amazing and always been on my radar.

I always wondered what alternatives to Mainstage are out there... especially software that will work on windows for non-mac users.

The Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 looks amazing. I wish they made some kind of hardware version like the Sonuus G2M...
It's possible to make a plugin for the Duo but it would use up all the CPU...

Thanks for sharing!


tiega wrote:
Hi Karma,

Thanks a lot for the input!
I looked for VST host I could use in live situation for quite a long time.
I found few years ago a software called LiveProfessor (http://audiostrom.com/). It is quite stable a good, but a bit complex to setup when you have a lot of scenes.
The main thing I miss about it is the ability to create (like in Mainstage) controller panels. The thing is I'm using Windows....
GigPerformer seems to be the exact missing software I was looking for.

Thanks again!


So I think I found a real contender to Mainstage for Windows users:

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/

Control any VST2 effects or instruments with midi, trigger media clips, and route any input to its own destination (multi-channel output).

This has been around for a few years and has matured significantly since it's first version. The developer is a musician, so he understands the needs of musicians and is rumored to be fast and efficient with updates, fixes, and new features.

It may not be as pretty as Mainstage, but it seems to be more than capable. I would love to experiment with this someday.

I will also look more closely at GigPerformer to see how it compares.

_________________
Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning


Last edited by TappistRT on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm
Profile
Contributor
Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 101
Location: SoCal
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
WerkSpace wrote:
Audio to MIDI. Can you imagine the possibilities?
I've also downloaded the demo and will give it a try. Thanks...

http://www.jamorigin.com/
http://www.jamorigin.com/download/
paigan0 wrote:
Thanks to you guys and this thread, I've learned about the Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2.


This is TOO FREAKING COOL

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD MONTHS AGO

Sorry, I'm excited. :lol:

_________________
Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning


Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 pm
Posts: 676
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne
Image


Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Profile
Stick Enterprises, Inc.
Stick Enterprises, Inc.

Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:30 pm
Posts: 833
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
Melodyne, another major step forward. Anything to make recording easier, especially for the live performer. Just to know that clams can be baked to perfection. Puts your playful brain back into its rightful play mode.


Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:50 am
Profile
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:40 am
Posts: 2083
Location: Detroit, MI
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
TappistRT wrote:
paigan0 wrote:
Thanks to you guys and this thread, I've learned about the Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2.

This is TOO FREAKING COOL

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD MONTHS AGO

Sorry, I'm excited. :lol:


I hear you! This stuff's pretty cool, and powerful! I was excited when I discovered it, too! Rock on, sir!

BSharp wrote:
Melodyne, another major step forward. Anything to make recording easier, especially for the live performer. Just to know that clams can be baked to perfection. Puts your playful brain back into its rightful play mode.


That's a really good point, Emmett: if you're not so worried about a crash and burn or clams, you are much more willing to push the envelope and try to do things that you can't normally do. You'll be more willing to experiment and you can stretch yourself creatively and physically on the instrument. We've all got "magic moments" that happen spontaneously in the studio, or while playing live, and they might be surrounded by other parts that were not as good. It's awesome to be able to fix a weird note or re-bake the clams to perfection.

The bad part about playing a part to perfection using 237 takes to get it juuuuust right is that after 236 times, is there anything left but rote muscle memory firing in a sequencer-like procession? We force the human to be the robot, instead of letting the human be a human and letting a robot and a human together clean it up afterward. Perfection in performance should only be a goal in performing live. When recording, let it all hang out.

And as someone who thinks the studio is an instrument unto itself, Melodyne has allowed me to write parts that are different from what I recorded--especially vocals. I've not used it much for keyboards, as it's easier to just use MIDI and edit that. For Sticks, I've used Pro Tools Elastic Audio to move notes around in time, but not for pitch changes. But that's a huge creative area to explore one day--it's easier to just noodle on the Sticks rather than change notes in the DAW.

Purists may not like this digital manipulation as a creative tool (they might say "crutch," even). And I get that Autotune is indeed such a crutch (and such a wonderfully useful crutch to my pitch-challenged voice! And what would rap and pop be without it?) But that's fine--people (like my composition mentor) used to think that distortion was ruining a perfectly fine guitar sound, and some (many) thought that CDs were evil and ruining perfectly-good vinyl, and that the even temperament of Bach is ruining the good music and tunings of our forefathers, and that keyboards and synthesizers and samplers are ruining guitar rock music, etc.

It's all good. But a master craftsperson has master tools. Melodyne is such a tool. And the studio is the place to stretch yourself. And a Stick is a master tool to do such stretching. Sink's Law # 14.7: "It's all about making music, however you get there." If you have to put pink noise through a Low Pass Filter to trigger cat-meow waveforms, or record the sound of a book dropping onto a marble floor as your snare and then tweak the EQ, or reverse your throat singing warblings and then run them through some digital plugin that warps it into sounding like underwater whales signaling an alien mothership, it's all good.

The masters pushed tape, and cut tape, and glued tape, and flipped it around backwards and upside down, and spliced it 12 ways together. Now we can use Melodyne and other digital tools.

Tech and music and the intersection of the two is one or two of my very favorite topics in the world, by the way. I could talk about this stuff all day. :ugeek:

_________________
Steve Sink, Paigan Productions
Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/user/paigan0


Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 pm
Posts: 676
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
If you have MIDI support on your Stick, this one is fun. 8-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsj26oEoBfo
Image


Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:09 am
Profile
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3200
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
WerkSpace wrote:
http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne
Image


Just thinking out loud... :D

I'm really torn on pitch correction and audio quantize features; Pretty much every DAW has it, and yeah it's used all over the place in the music we hear. I use programs like this myself from time to time... But I have to wonder if it isn't just one of the factors contributing to the very, very common idea that music should be free. I know tons of people who flat out REFUSE to pay a dime for music... And that's for big names, so I'm thinking that the attitude of "non-worth" in regards to musical product (songs, albums, etc) must be even worse for the independent guys.

With Melodyne, one can turn THE worst vocal performance into a pretty passable tune, perhaps even a memorable one... It gets better, you can actually strum the notes in a guitar, and fix one that's out of tune, or "mis-articulated". Editing "after the fact" takes the onus off of being able to actually even have your tune together; you can just copy, paste, edit and correct. In a performance setting, you can tie the midi data to Melodyne for your tune, and have it do pitch changes/corrections via plugin live during a performance. That's very cool from a creative standpoint without a doubt, but if everybody's special then no one is... I like to think that there's still a need for someone who worked his/her butt off, then takes a risk, and nails it. I like to think that the music I listen to is a result of THAT line of thinking as opposed to "meh, good enough - the engineer can fix it" type of attitude.

So does it make it that supposed "real" musicians need to step up their game, or is this steps towards "pro-level" musical ability being achievable without the need to practice, study, try and fail...? For example, a Linnstrument and Roli Seaboard boasts being able to play convincing electric guitar, harmonica, violin, etc, etc with expression, and without the need to study those instruments... That's cool, and gives a huge creative boost but does it mean that anyone with a decent credit limit/bank account can now be a musician?

lol Could be a big debate, I (for one) can definitely see both sides of it...

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am
Profile
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:40 am
Posts: 2083
Location: Detroit, MI
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
Scott, damn it, I agree with all of your points on both sides, and don't know what to do with it!

Yes, I'm all for rehearsing to make the most out of your valuable studio time. And I'm also all for being the producer, and using every tool available to me to make music.

Maybe that's the difference: if I'm wearing my producer hat, I just want the best sounding track, no matter how I get there. If I'm wearing my performer hat, I want to make the very best performance I can, and make is as "true to life" or sound like it was live, as possible. I want to leverage and show off, and sell, my years of talent and practice, and my hypothetical ability to come in once and lay down perfect tracks that don't need to be "fixed".

There is tension between those two approaches, and I've over-simplified the two camps as well. Some performers are happy to leave the cleanup to the engineers, while others are obsessively bugging the engineers to get exactly the perfect sound that they the performer have in mind. (And then there's whatever the producer had in mind...)

If I am a drummer, and a dude with a drum machine puts me out of business, I might have some opinions about that. And keyboards and MIDI have put many an orchestra out of business. The same technology that lets Steve Sink play all the instruments and produce and master tracks in his basement also lets a jingle writer and producer do everything themselves and not hire a "real" musician with "real" chops, instead of Band in a Box or whatever.

I'm torn. I am that performer and that producer both and I want my playing to be as real and authentic and real-to-life as it can be, but I also want to make perfect tracks.

If that WORST VOCAL PERFORMANCE of all time is mine (and odds are good that it is!), then if I want to do vocals, I have to clean that shit up. And maybe put a real vocalist, with real talent and years of practice and dedication, out of business.

I have no answers, only tracks that need to be cleaned up! :)

_________________
Steve Sink, Paigan Productions
Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/user/paigan0


Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 3200
Post Re: Sharing Great Software
paigan0 wrote:
Scott, damn it, I agree with all of your points on both sides, and don't know what to do with it!

Yes, I'm all for rehearsing to make the most out of your valuable studio time. And I'm also all for being the producer, and using every tool available to me to make music.

Maybe that's the difference: if I'm wearing my producer hat, I just want the best sounding track, no matter how I get there. If I'm wearing my performer hat, I want to make the very best performance I can, and make is as "true to life" or sound like it was live, as possible. I want to leverage and show off, and sell, my years of talent and practice, and my hypothetical ability to come in once and lay down perfect tracks that don't need to be "fixed".

There is tension between those two approaches, and I've over-simplified the two camps as well. Some performers are happy to leave the cleanup to the engineers, while others are obsessively bugging the engineers to get exactly the perfect sound that they the performer have in mind. (And then there's whatever the producer had in mind...)

If I am a drummer, and a dude with a drum machine puts me out of business, I might have some opinions about that. And keyboards and MIDI have put many an orchestra out of business. The same technology that lets Steve Sink play all the instruments and produce and master tracks in his basement also lets a jingle writer and producer do everything themselves and not hire a "real" musician with "real" chops, instead of Band in a Box or whatever.

I'm torn. I am that performer and that producer both and I want my playing to be as real and authentic and real-to-life as it can be, but I also want to make perfect tracks.

If that WORST VOCAL PERFORMANCE of all time is mine (and odds are good that it is!), then if I want to do vocals, I have to clean that shit up. And maybe put a real vocalist, with real talent and years of practice and dedication, out of business.

I have no answers, only tracks that need to be cleaned up! :)


:D I like to believe that all these new products are tools to musicians, and crutches for non-musicians...
hehehe adapt or die, right?

_________________
Grand Stick #6667
Railboard #6564
https://soundcloud.com/Jayesskerr Muh Soundcloud spot...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNmj2xi91qQWLymozzMudA My Youtube


Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:03 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Bookmark and Share  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

board3 Portal - based on phpBB3 Portal Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.
Heavily modified by Stickist.com. Stickist.com is an authorized Chapman Stick® site. The Chapman Stick® and NS/Stick™ and their marks are federally registered trademarks exclusively licensed to Stick Enterprises, Inc., and are used on Stickist.com and NSstickist.com with SEI's permission.
Click here for more information.