It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 String Alternatives 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: String Alternatives
Thank you... they are both beautiful... listen, do you by chance know how the string numbering scheme works with the Stick Classic 10 strings goes ??
I see each how envelope is numbered, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the numbering system works........
I mean - I know how the strings are supposed to go, but I can't make heads or tails from what I have in front of me.
Any ideas or insight ??
Is it something like # 1 is the top Bass string and # 10 is the bottom melody string, with all the numbers running sequentially ??
I really want to set up #1855 asap.
[#285 is good to go]

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The #1 string is your highest pitched string on the melody side descending from there 2,3,4,5.Then the main bass string is the # 6:that being the beginning of your set of strings for the bass side with the # 10 string the highest register on the bass side ;). I hope that helps.

jRj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:13 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sweet looking instruments, George, both of them. While I really am quite taken with the "advanced" part design and construction of my 'modern' Grand Stick, I confess that I really dig the organic look of both of your instruments, especially 285.

I kinda want one of those, now.

As an aside, I'm also wondering if the wood belt hook is original, only because part of me wonders if it could hold up for so long. I suppose it's possible that someone (SE or otherwise) could probably replicate any broken part if needed. It's got a classy look to it that really completes the overall flavor of the instrument's appearance.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Not a problem... and thank you JRJ [hope I got that right...] good, now I can properly set up #1855... which I will do most likely tomorrow morning.
Thanks again friends, Cheers !!
Big G....

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:36 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

*The belt hook - the wooden belt hook - those are the old Sticks.... eventually they went to metal I believe, then to plastic [#1855] then whatever they are using today....

If you go to the S.E. page, they have a real nice history of the construction of the Sticks over the years, which I thought I had right - but turns out I was wrong on a few things, either way it's all good....

The picture here shows where #285 is residing while I work on #1855, believe me #285 is in good company !!

I wonder if bakerlite would work... when I worked on the fishing boats out of Sheepshead Bay NY back in my youth, someone was making "Sidewinder" reels out of bakerlite, and it worked out great.

*I might be spelling bakerlite wrong.............

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
However, I am keeping an eye out for a very early Ironwood which is pre Height adjustable individual bridge screws [pre-Sept '75...] so if one just happens to show up for sale, you know who to get a hold of, and that will get the historic flatwound strings which you have so graciously sent me.

Cheers Everybody !!

When I got my first Stick in 1982 (bought second hand in Lausanne Switzerland 4 monts after attending a Peter Gabriel concert in Bern where I discovered the instrument and got Tonylevinized forever ;) ), it had flat wound strings.

Here's a demo I recorded with it one year later in 1982. Theses flats sounded huge.

PS: Had to hide the MP3 in my (german) voice talent website. Don't bother.

https://www.oliviervuille.ch/flatwound-stick-566---1982.html

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Wow that sounds great - I think you just made up my mind with how I'm going to string #285 when the time comes, because Emmett sent me a set of flatwounds just this week....

That's a really really great sound you got on that track - thanks for sharing !!

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:53 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to put together all the information that we have about the official gauges for the different tuning.

All in all, a lot of the notes and intervals repeat themselves among tunings, so there is not a crazy amount of gauges, just quite a few of them...

My idea is to share the tuning, string number, note, gauge, and type of string (plain, wound, bass). Something like this:

Attachment:
MRvariations.png

What do you think? Anything else missing or that you would like to have?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:40 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8