It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Amps 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Amps
SWR Baby Blue II rock!! great sounding amp! Hang on to that one!!

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Prepare for a heart-wrenching tale.

A little over a week ago I found the companion extension cabinet for the Baby Blue - it's rare. It has two 8" speakers and one 5". The asking price - get this - $150 and $65 shipping.

My heart raced. My wife was unavailable, I couldn't find my credit card, and the unit sold within an hour.

Oy!

R

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Rand, QSC makes great powered speakers. You didn't cheap out with them. One drawback is lack of EQ
I also use Quilter amps made by Pat Quinn, the Q in QSC.
All good. Just making an Epifani recommendation for a great sounding lightweight setup.
Enjoy the journey
Steve

Steve, the guitarist in my band uses a Quilter... nice amp! I gave that some serious consideration as well, but since I already have the 2 QSC's I decided to go with that for now. I get the EQ off the Behringer Xenyx 1202fx mixer, so right now it's all good!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Currently using a pair of QSCs and quite happy with them. Great range, but they're not a bass amp AND they're not a guitar amp, so good for my formal events, perfect actually. For Soil, my other band, I need more though, so I am really missing a solid bass amp.

I also used a Blues deluxe out at the studio we were at the other day and really missed the bite in the right hand - the kind you can't get from a pedal, so considering adding a third, geez, amp

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Quote:
I also used a Blues deluxe out at the studio we were at the other day and really missed the bite in the right hand - the kind you can't get from a pedal, so considering adding a third, geez, amp

Hey Gene, not sure what you meant- did the Blues Deluxe not give you the "bite" you wanted? I've heard guitarists playing with single-coil pickups get a beautiful tone out of that amp, but not so much with my Stickup.

I was wondering what you thought of your RH side through that Fender...

R

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

In looking back on what I wrote, it does seem vague. Let's try again :D

At the studio where we were rehearsing, I did not have my pair of QSCs available, so I used a Hartke 4x10 with a Bugera head for the bass side and a Fender Blues Deluxe in the right. I generally like the combined sound coming through a single amp (or pair of amps), but the Fender Blues was outstanding on the melody side. The bass was solid, but it did turn me around a little as I am not used to having that kind of separation.

I guess that's all part of exploring new ways to make music. Fun thread, looking forward to what other's are exploring with amps these days.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I recently picked up a QSC K12.2 myself, and I'm loving it. Very clear, loud, and light. I also have a Hammond LS2215 keyboard amp that I love, but at 70 lbs I wasn't doing my back any favors bringing that guy to gigs.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:01 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Amps
Finding the right amp has been a long journey. I played a Roland KC for years, then replaced it for the powerful JAM 400 i used until last week. I’ve just decided to put it on a shelf, to have a try with some conventional guitar / bass amps. For years, the interest in having a less sterile amp solution grew slowly, especially after listening to Alex Nahas music, whose mélodies are lightly muddied by amps.
Last year or so, my friend Olivier Chabasse took the plunge and bought a bass amp and two tiny tube amps with strong characters. I had a blast listening to this three way sound system, with melody strings being amp’ed through two amps at the same time.
So, recently i too took the plunge and acquired the new Roland JC-40, a new amp patine tribute to the classic JC-120. Best purchase so far for years.

I’m now thinking about getting a bass amp.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Wow, Grozeil, that sounds pretty choice. And Rodan, the Crate has a good speaker so my guitar friends tell me. Classic set up , best of the old school on all counts.

I do get how the QSC have a nice spread for a standard cabinet, singers love them as well cause they have a bit of natural support in the mids.

Ok, it's my turn. Definitely showing off , but last month I finally acquired my ultimate rig.

Bose L1 mark 2, with B2 sub and tonematch mixer. It's embarrassingly good. You walk through the door to my man cave and it stands 7 foot tall like a monolith.

The main thing with Bose is the transients. They're so discreet, that it ads a softness to the attack that really can't be explained until you hear it. I have to turn the rig down a lot in my shared wall living space, but even then at low volume it sounds amazing.

I'm actually hearing the instrument for the first time. It's not surprising given I've been playing through a 12" RCF and relying on foldback at venues for a long time now. But it's just as everyone's been saying , that you cannot underestimate the power of gear to inspire.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Stickrad wrote:
Bose L1 mark 2, with B2 sub and tonematch mixer. It's embarrassingly good. You walk through the door to my man cave and it stands 7 foot tall like a monolith.

Even the tiny Bose L1 Compact is a killer. Been gigging with it for 2 years. Enough to fill a noisy irish pub with cristal clear stick and vocals. Love it. I may get the same as yours just to get even more dispersion. But Stick+ Bose = Fab sound. Period. :)

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next