It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 am

K-mix users opinions 

Post K-mix users opinions
Hi all, the K-mix is causing some serious GAS. It looks like it would do some things I'm considering with my rig. I have a QSC TM16 which is fantastic, but total overkill for most of my gigs. It gets used when I have 3 or more instruments with me.
So users, what are your thoughts on the way it sounds and it's functionality?
Thanks!

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: K-mix users opinions
I use one and am quite happy with it. I’d use a computer to set eq but you can do it on the unit itselfi have lots of options with it and it’s small. Also was hoping to use my softstep2 and use it for volume adjustments possibly. That way I don’t need to bend over to adjust levels. It works well as an interface to record with. I use the six sends for effects. There are 12 presets I believe for the mixer which is nice for other mixing options. I only use one for now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:45 am

Very cool, thanks! That's a great board you've got.
I'm considering going to an iPad based setup for my quick in and out gigs, and a Mainstage based setup for the longer/ more elaborate gigs.
I keep thinking this would be the thing to center all that around.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

This looks so cool.

I should never have opened this thread...

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It's smaller than my current Mackie Mix-8. The mix-8 is 9.6 x 7.8 whereas the K-Mix is 9.2 x 6.6.

What. Have. You. Done....

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

The lights are cool. You can pour beer on it and it won’t get wrecked. But why waste beer? Also no knobs or faders to break off when transporting. And it’s small. 8 in’s 10 puts

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm

A small, but pointless, update. I've sold the QSC, k-mix and Softstep2 being acquired next week. In the meantime I've been working with AUM and various apps on an iPad. For the moment, it's presonus audiobox 2 as interface into an iPad 4 being controlled by a Korg nanoKontrol. It works very well and sounds way better than you'd expect. The sonically limiting factor is the presonus. No surprise there.
I'll probably start a new thread about all this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The K-Mix is worthy of a thread re-open.

I've tried several mixers, but the K-Mix is by far the most flexible. I use it primarily with iPads and Wind Synths, but occasionally hook it up to my MacBook Pro. Just a cable change. No audio interface.

The K-Mix runs off USB power, so is portable (I use a iPhone battery backup to power it). It passes full 8 channels into the iPad or MacBook Pro for recording/mixing. Great sound quality.

The biggest thing I like is the Aux Channels. So easy to set up and control. Something I was always let down by in other mixers.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:45 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Agreed, it is a fine and versatile unit.

I was able to power it up and get functionality out of it almost immediately. All of the built in effects (eq, compression and noise gate) are workable and with a number of different options for output. As you've mentioned Randy, it's easy to add a loop for a processor, mono or stereo.

The format is unbelievable, it was smaller than my Mackie Mix-8 ~$80). Now granted, it was 7.5x as much, but well worth it in that I was able to sell my Focusrite AD converter. That saved me $100 right there as well as the cost of the Mackie, which I got $60 after shipping. So, only 5.5x as much lol.

The interface takes a little getting used to, perhaps it's me as I am always a little bit slow in dialing in good EQ with the Stick. I was disappointed in the built in reverb, and am hard pressed to find use for it. My initial thoughts were "Well, that's a bit of a disappointment!" as I had hoped that this could be used in lieu of a pedalboard, just straight to powered speakers. Looking I realize that I need to slow down and better learn how to use the unit:
1. Start with solid input (balance gain, pre-amp), watching for particular areas where you are peaking levels
2. Dial in EQ for both sides. I recommend recording and listening back - uuughhh, this process is tedious but the results have been (ongoing) and mostly good.
3. Dial in compression for both sides, monitoring how this effects gain, again recording and tweaking
4. Dial in the lowest threshold you can on the noise gate. Ah, silence.
5. Tweak complete sound with dialing reverb. I would suspect that most go with just some reverb on the melody side. This is generally where one could dial in a processor for an enhanced reverb experience

I'd like to see how others run microphones into the 1/4 inputs - how do you configure the input, eq, compression, etc. Appreciate any and guidance with this dandy unit. Definite tip of hat to Robstafarian and Rob H. for spending some time with previous FHFs on this matter and to Randy for keeping the learning journey going!

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'v not used the onboard effects much, other then checking that they do indeed work. As I mentioned, I've been funneling audio through an iPad where I do all effects processing. Gene's details on properly setting up reverb between the Stick and K-Mix will be good guidance.... waiting on my new (used) Alto to arrive from the frozen Canadian tundra.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:02 pm