It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

Recording set up for stereo tracks? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Recording set up for stereo tracks?
Step one: melody and bass side into it’s own input in your interface. Create 2 new tracks in your DAW assigned to the respective inputs.
Step two: noise gate plugin to kill the bleed, 65% seems to do the trick. I hate going direct in, so my Bass and melody side each get their own Boss GT100. Noise suppressor is a critical part of the chain...

Step 3 Hit record and play!

I hope that helps a bit, guys!

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:15 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

What Scott does I do as well. I plug melody side into first plug on interface and bass side on second plug on interface. Then in my input on track select input 1 for plug one and input 2 for track 2. You can select input 1and2 then you will get what you are getting which is two signals on one track. Your second track has the same signal so I’m guessing it’s set up as input 1 and 2 as well. So each track needs it’s own input I think that should do it I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong I know Scott and I both use Logic Pro. I assume other programs are similar.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks chasps.

I definitely am getting a stronger bass and melody signal from each respective track, the way I had originally set it up. I'll try your suggestions and let ya know by tomoz.

Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Step one: melody and bass side into it’s own input in your interface. Create 2 new tracks in your DAW assigned to the respective inputs.
Step two: noise gate plugin to kill the bleed, 65% seems to do the trick. I hate going direct in, so my Bass and melody side each get their own Boss GT100. Noise suppressor is a critical part of the chain...

Step 3 Hit record and play!

I hope that helps a bit, guys!

Good idea regarding the gate, I"m gonna try this.

Thanks!

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Last edited by TappistRT on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:21 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

The_Afro_Circus wrote:
Yeah i have that too going into reaper. I have yet to find a DI tone with it that I can stand, let alone like. I tend to either mic an amp or rub through my boss katana as a preamp, but that thing is strictly mono

IMO, one of the key things for getting a good DI tone is using impulse responses and a good quality amp sim. Furthermore, I think the cab sim/impulse response is even more important in terms of getting "that sound."

Here's an example of DI vs. cab sim tone in a Two Notes Le Clean pedal review. Skip to 4:07 to see what I'm talking about:

This can also be achieved with the abundance of software for guitar/bass recording that exists out there. Since Reaper natively uses VSTs, you should have no problem finding free VST amp sims that are worth your time. The vast majority of freeware is always in VST format.

Some free guitar and bass IRs
http://www.grgr.de/IR/

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

TappistRT wrote:
The_Afro_Circus wrote:
Yeah i have that too going into reaper. I have yet to find a DI tone with it that I can stand, let alone like. I tend to either mic an amp or rub through my boss katana as a preamp, but that thing is strictly mono

IMO, one of the key things for getting a good DI tone is using impulse responses and a good quality amp sim. Furthermore, I think the cab sim/impulse response is even more important in terms of getting "that sound."

Here's an example of DI vs. cab sim tone in a Two Notes Le Clean pedal review. Skip to 4:07 to see what I'm talking about:

This can also be achieved with the abundance of software for guitar/bass recording that exists out there. Since Reaper natively uses VSTs, you should have no problem finding free VST amp sims that are worth your time. The vast majority of freeware is always in VST format.

Some free guitar and bass IRs
http://www.grgr.de/IR/

This is great info, thank you!

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr-

Do you run a separate gate on each of your bass and melody tracks with different values?

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

TappistRT wrote:
Jayesskerr-

Do you run a separate gate on each of your bass and melody tracks with different values?

Sometimes, the values are usually very similar, although I personally don't mind the slight crosstalk between the melody and bass side (Seems to happen most on the lowest strings of Melody/bass side Low 'E' and 'B' for me respectively) I sort of look at it like recording a drumset, and dealing with that hihat bleed onto the snare. One can TRY to totally remove it, or one can simply work WITH is as it's an inherent part of the instrument... Since I'm playing the stuff together anyways, the crosstalk is not noticeable. I like to process both sides separately, though yes.

My main Stick, the Wenge Grad has pasv4's in it, and I find that they are hot hot hot pickups, and sound very different on their respective "sides" I literally run a separate processor for each side of the Stick, the two are midi'd. I am NOT fond of using plugins/amp emulators and IR's and stuff unless I have to, although I have them at my disposal...

Context is everything too. Is it going to be Stick all by itself, or is it in an ensemble setting, or a singer songwriter type thing? I have run into all kinds of challenges recording the instrument, and the biggest one for me is almost always getting it to play nice with other instruments (It's so easy to over-utilize the immense range of the instrument, and thusly step all over the range of other instruments in the arrangement. - keyboardists often suffer from/with this)

I tried out a lot of gear with my Stick. I ended up settling on two Boss GT-100's. They work for me, and provide me with everything I need in any situation whether it's amp/PA/direct to interface, headphones. That's just me though, everybody is different...

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
TappistRT wrote:
Jayesskerr-

Sometimes, the values are usually very similar, although I personally don't mind the slight crosstalk between the melody and bass side (Seems to happen most on the lowest strings of Melody/bass side Low 'E' and 'B' for me respectively) I sort of look at it like recording a drumset, and dealing with that hihat bleed onto the snare. One can TRY to totally remove it, or one can simply work WITH is as it's an inherent part of the instrument... Since I'm playing the stuff together anyways, the crosstalk is not noticeable. I like to process both sides separately, though yes.

My main Stick, the Wenge Grad has pasv4's in it, and I find that they are hot hot hot pickups, and sound very different on their respective "sides" I literally run a separate processor for each side of the Stick, the two are midi'd. I am NOT fond of using plugins/amp emulators and IR's and stuff unless I have to, although I have them at my disposal...

Context is everything too. Is it going to be Stick all by itself, or is it in an ensemble setting, or a singer songwriter type thing? I have run into all kinds of challenges recording the instrument, and the biggest one for me is almost always getting it to play nice with other instruments (It's so easy to over-utilize the immense range of the instrument, and thusly step all over the range of other instruments in the arrangement. - keyboardists often suffer from/with this)

I tried out a lot of gear with my Stick. I ended up settling on two Boss GT-100's. They work for me, and provide me with everything I need in any situation whether it's amp/PA/direct to interface, headphones. That's just me though, everybody is different...

I agree that it can be difficult to have other instruments play nice with Stick. But why not use all 6-ish (I think?) octaves of range? :mrgreen:

And regarding what you mentioned about using amp sims: I'm heading down that road currently. Personally, I like it, and it's allowing me to downsize my rig considerably for space considerations in our condo.

Last year I found a great product called Destructor by Blue Cat, and I ended up getting quite a few other Blue Cat products as well. Destructor appears to be an "amp modeler" on the surface, but in reality, it's highly dynamic, customizable wave shaper/compressor that emulates guitars and cabinets with perceptual modeling, rather than impulse responses. Consequently, it sounds awesome (imo) with Stick.

Once my new PA speaker arrives I'll post up some SoundCloud files to show what kind of tones I can get with it.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

TappistRT wrote:
I agree that it can be difficult to have other instruments play nice with Stick. But why not use all 6-ish (I think?) octaves of range? :mrgreen:

And regarding what you mentioned about using amp sims: I'm heading down that road currently. Personally, I like it, and it's allowing me to downsize my rig considerably for space considerations in our condo.

Last year I found a great product called Destructor by Blue Cat, and I ended up getting quite a few other Blue Cat products as well. Destructor appears to be an "amp modeler" on the surface, but in reality, it's highly dynamic, customizable wave shaper/compressor that emulates guitars and cabinets with perceptual modeling, rather than impulse responses. Consequently, it sounds awesome (imo) with Stick.

Once my new PA speaker arrives I'll post up some SoundCloud files to show what kind of tones I can get with it.

Well, if you are getting paid to play with a group, and there's a bass player in the group, you may not want to step on his toes unless of course you plan on not playing with that person again... All I'm saying is that the bigger the ensemble, the more consideration that needs to be given to each player's role within.

All good, whatever works... (remember, I am nobody)

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:58 am