It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 am

Stepabout - possible patch points? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Stepabout - possible patch points?
begin again wrote:
One could route it with more gear, but that's...well...more stuff - higher overhead, in cost, component count, physical footprint, power routing -- all the standard engineering goodness
It, essentially just, wastes the stepabout's routing matrix only to duplicate it downstream

You are talking as though you already have a StepAbout. As you do not have a StepAbout, I recommend working to solve your problem as economically as possible rather than working around a StepAbout which you do not yet own. Doing so will give you a better understanding of the StepAbout's value proposition, as it relates to your needs.
begin again wrote:
Depending on the internals. It may (that remains to be seen) be a fairly tractable modification (if there are sub-boards or if the traces are big enough to cut...it might even be a feature to think about adding a jumper pad for in the next rev of the PCB)

Have you considered buffering that loop and all the complexities therein?

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stepabout - possible patch points?
Robstafarian wrote:
You are talking as though you already have a StepAbout. As you do not have a StepAbout, I recommend working to solve your problem as economically as possible rather than working around a StepAbout which you do not yet own. Doing so will give you a better understanding of the StepAbout's value proposition, as it relates to your needs.

First, I certainly appreciate the perspective - that's why we ask questions.

I wouldn't think exploring the option as tantamount to "already owning a stepabout" - it's an option. certainly not the only option, but I think one worth exploring since the the preamp/EQ design is low noise, elegant in EQ curves (the boost/cut curve differences seem nice), is well regarded with experienced player, and at least as far as I've heard. I do like the resultant sound.
I generally tend to see the effort in the "workaround" as a matter of where one is placing the effort -- systems integration of various systems vs modification to an existing system.
Which is what led me to the question about how integrated (ie monolithic) the design actually is.
If the design is fairly modular internally, the modification to the current design MAY (again,depending on design specifics) may be relatively low overhead and leverages an already mature design.
I do think there issome value in exploring th option in just forwarding the product design (but then, I do test dive drysuit protoypes, so that's how I be wired I suppose)

Quote:
Have you considered buffering that loop and all the complexities therein?

yep, I have. That led to the initial sub-question about the switching matrix (if it's passive/active, etc)...and more generally the qualification about "internals of the design"
and specifically, how the impedance matching plays out between subsystems.
it may (or may not) be that different than chaining together individual boxes with external interconnects.

I have contacted the engineer, so hopefully the practical implementation of such a strategy will become a little more clear in the near future
I'll certainly keep you posted, esp as the signal processing side seems to be of particular interest to you.

I do find it intensely interesting how amenable the instrument and community is to different approaches.
So thanks for bringing your perspective to the table!

there's a freeing aspect in it I'm just now allowing myself to access
so it's one again beginning again

-------------------------------------
as side note. I had a bit of time out of the water (not so good for me) besides work for my local aquarium
but got 10 underwater hours of survey work in the last 2 days...so I'm feeling MUCH better.
I really dont do well if I don't return to the water every 72 hours

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 pm