It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 What amp are you using? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post What amp are you using?
Hi guys,

This is a sort of poll and brainstorming to help me find a new amp [emoji2]

When I first got my stick I played through two guitar amps, bass through a H&K Tube edition 20W 1x12” and melody through an Engl Gigmaster 15W 1x10”. Then I found keyboard amp Peavey KB100 with three channels which was simpler but now better; and now I play it mono through the H&K alone or sometimes stereo with the melody through an HT-1R 1x8”.

I’m looking for a 2-channel 2-speaker true-stereo amp to have it as my main amp for home. I’ve seen that the Roland Jazz could be a good option. Any of you have tried it? I’ve seen some of you plugging the sticks on acoustic guitar amps. Any advise on that? Any advise and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and merry Xmas!
Walter

P.S. PM if you live in Zürich and want to jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: What amp are you using?
Roland cube street EX

https://www.roland.com/global/products/cube_street_ex/

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:09 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Looks promising! Is that what you currently use? If yes, How do you plug into it? Bass to mic and melody to guitar? Or both to mic/inst with an XLR?

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:08 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

bass to MIC/instrument input
melody to MIC/guitar input

beatbuddy drum machine to line in

iphone/ipod to audio in/link input

(actually the two main input coming out of main K-mix out - still it is bass side/melody side)

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:13 am
Contributor
Contributor

Just a Fishman Loudbox Mini for now. Running the Stick in mono, would rather aim for a single consistent sound right now.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mcgrahamhk wrote:
Just a Fishman Loudbox Mini for now. Running the Stick in mono, would rather aim for a single consistent sound right now.

I use the battery powered version of the Loudbox Mini (the “Charge”). Started with a Loudbox Artist — too much for my practice area. Tried a Bose S1 Pro — too “boomy” and undifferentiated, tone-wise to my ears.

The Charge is the best of tone, power and portability for my needs.

I run mono into the amp. But I process/tone shape both sides of my Alto independently through a SfX SP2 preamp. Gives a great, clean tone.

One note on stereo: it’s fun in the studio or thru headphones. In a performance situation, depending upon where listeners are sitting/standing, they may hear only one channel.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Last edited by carvingcode on Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Are you talking Roland JC120? I have a friend that plays the same model Stick I have through one and I’m not too fond of what that sounds like, a rather harsh tone. The two speaker requirement you ask for may be hard to find. I believe Marshall may have an acoustic amp like that but I’ve never tried a Stick in one. In contrast to the Roland I’ve heard Greg Howard play through a Fender Deluxe Reverb which sounded way better to me.

I use a Helix through two QSC K12’s most often to take advantage of stereo effects.
I also have an Epiphani bass combo that handles both sides of the Stick beautifully via a Headrush acoustic DI box.

I recently sold my Fishman Loudbox Performer to Paigan0 here and replaced it with a Bose S1 Pro. Issue I had here had to do with my acoustic guitar. The Fishman was horrible for feedback plus I wanted battery power. Oddly that amp for me was only good for Chapman Sticks. I’m playing a Graphite Grand with PASIV pickups, the Bose sounds pretty good to my ears, great little “grab and go” amp. Even better with the Headrush DI.

Quilter MicroPro for my electric guitar. Some use those for the melody side of the Stick, not too bad, but I rarely use it for Stick. A welcome replacement for my previous heavy guitar combo.

3/4’s of my amplification for all of my instruments came from Steve Adelson’s recommendations. In the last few years I’ve been playing guitar and some Stick live, which new to me somewhat as I rarely did that since way back in high school. So far I’m not seeing a good all around amp to work with amp modeling. Not fond of having all of this, but if you want to play more than Stick it becomes a necessity.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:29 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol I use two Roland JC120's, or sometimes just one. BUT... I use two boss GT-100's and a Roland GR55. I don't find it harsh sounding, but it's a lot of crap to lug around that's for sure. I also have a Yamaha portable PA at my disposal.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:36 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Grand Stick into Zoom B3, ZoomG5, into a Fishman Loudbox 180 into two Headrush Powered speakers...

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:48 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I don’t think I’ll need to carry my amp around, as I play mostly at home; therefore the need for something small and not too loud. In the studio I play guitar, and if I ever brig my stick there I can plug one side to the guitar amp and the other to the bass amp that are there.

My main concern is not damaging a guitar amp by plugging the bass side of the stick into it. A keyboard amp will ve safe due to the frequencies, but I’ve heard some stories about people blowing guitar amps by plugging basses into them. Have any of you had any problems by plugging your sticks into guitar amps?

Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next