It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 TAGG 3.0 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: TAGG 3.0
You might wany to ask gpoorman.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quote:
I think sitting like Robert Culbertson does or standing up using a TAGG would work better for me than a belt.

have you tried the Lapdawg?

life changer for me

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi Boaz --

Quote:
have you tried the Lapdawg?

I'm really intrigued by the Lapdawg. I'm going to try and go to the hardware store this weekend and get a piece of wood that slides through the belt hook. (Basically a really cheap DIY Lapdawg.) If the sitting position seems like it will work for me, I'll probably end up springing for the Lapdawg.

I bought this off Amazon with the hopes of whittling it down to fit in the belt hook, but it's more PVC pipe than padding and probably not worth the time trying to get a square peg to fit in a round hole, so to speak:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Wenge 10-String Grand
PASV-4 Block
Matched reciprocal tuning, medium gauge

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:02 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have a Lap Dawg on all my sticks but you might want to check the Dbro Holder: best do it yourself, simple, most effective way to play seated...
viewtopic.php?t=8204

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:18 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I actually went and ordered a Lap Dawg - but sadly, the hole pattern does not match my mid 80s Ironwood, and I'm not about to re-drill things - so I am still trying to find the proper solution including something very similar to what is in the picture here:
*Disclaimer - it is a teflon instrument but the design is pure brilliance, because the ebony block picks up the existing hole/insert pattern on the back of this instrument, and it is an ebony block made by a luthier in Oregon.
The rod is carbon graphite I believe, and allows this instrument to be played either seated - like a cello - or standing - like an old Ampeg Baby bass [it has that much range, and I am 6ft 7in tall !!]
I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to make something similar that can interface with the belt holder on the Sticks, easy on/easy off - and have a similar peg, but with much less adjustment [like a cello]
That's what I would like to try.
The Lap Dawg is made exceptionally well, it just does not line up with my Ironwood # 1855... so right now I'm using square sticks as an experiment - across my lap - just to get an idea as to how high I'd like my Ironwood to be.
I may also experiment with another square stick I got, and a spring clamp - place the square rod into the belt clip and use the spring clamp for tension, but I can already see that angle is going to come into play, and it won't work because nothing is square.
But this picture is worth a peek - perhaps someone will get an idea as to how to make such a block for the Stick.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:27 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I also - crazy as this might sound - thought about seeing if it would be possible to modify a canoe thwart - because that is shaped very similar to the Dbro Holder...
This possibility I will research some more, because I did have success with a hardwood branch that I found in my garden that was not only shaped just right - it was also the right thickness...
Will advise if I am able to come up with anything that actually works with a Stick and makes sense.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:32 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
I'm interested in getting a Tagg interface when they're available again.
In the meantime, does anyone have the dimensions for one of these? It doesn't look too complicated to make... or to ask a friend to make for me :D

#6051 Wenge SG12, PASV-4, MR (2012)
#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR (2008)
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR (2008)

- Ted

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Kind of a tangent thought... being of a "portly" build... it might be nice if it could have guitar strap buttons on either side of it, then I could velcro some foam to the back of it so that it would sit far enough from my belly that I could play with it standing (without a stand). The belt clip just doesn't work with my almost "Alfred Hitchcock" profile...

Yeah, I'm still toying with the idea of a strap solution, and also trying to lose weight.
Ken

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

doctordale wrote:
Kind of a tangent thought... being of a "portly" build... it might be nice if it could have guitar strap buttons on either side of it, then I could velcro some foam to the back of it so that it would sit far enough from my belly that I could play with it standing (without a stand). The belt clip just doesn't work with my almost "Alfred Hitchcock" profile...

Yeah, I'm still toying with the idea of a strap solution, and also trying to lose weight.
Ken
I got a big belly as well. I usually raise my belt up over my hips, so the farthest part of my belly is pretty much behind the belt hook, this gives me clearance for my thumbs, if I am not using them to tap on the strings. Since there are four different elevations on the Belt hook, it is easy to find a happy medium. I use a padded tactical police belt, which is about 2 or 3 inches wide, it is very comfortable. I can usually position it below my belly when sitting or above my belly when I'm standing.

I think a round weighted stand like the old music stands, may be a good option, for moving from standing to seated play.
There are so many options. I think it's really up to the individual to decide where he feels comfortable. Although it is nice to have a standard that you can work from.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:30 am

Any TAGG 3.0 updates?

I had a chance to play with a TAGG at Interlochen; I think it was an older model (1.6 if there is such a thing).

Regardless: I loved it!! So I will definitely be interested in the next TAGG batch to be released when it happens....

(Also: I did pick up a Lap Dawg and I really like it a lot.)

Wenge 10-String Grand
PASV-4 Block
Matched reciprocal tuning, medium gauge

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:22 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next