It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 TAGG 3.0 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: TAGG 3.0
Any progress about Tagg 3.0 ?

Will ask this weekend a family member who has 3 D printer if he can do it.

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Fri May 31, 2019 5:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Late to the discussion, but:

Seems the first thing is to disassemble one and create a measured drawing (if this doesn't already exist). That then could be used to create wood versions or modified for the 3D.

The wood version doesn't appear difficult, from what I've seen. A few cross cuts and rounding of edges.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Fri May 31, 2019 6:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

For those wondering, it's me who is throwing out the prospect of 3D printing these. It would be done from the same SLS nylon that the current lap Dawgs are made from. A standard filament printer wouldn't be up to the task and other processes like multi jet and SLA tend to be more expensive and have tighter tolerances than really necessary for something like this. SLS nylon is also really tough stuff.

Reason for my suggesting of 3D printing has mostly to do with the low production runs of these and being able to essentially having them made to order. I'm picturing a few improvements to the design. Wheels are in motion

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The first meeting of Council of TAGG met last week. The last remaining TAGG was issued to Eric Knapp who has taken up the call of leading the effort with the wood TAGG.

Victor Bruhn had done some considerable research on putting together a 3-d Model, so we're more focused on the wood interface at the moment.

Our first round of discussions focused on our availability, design considerations, cost and materials. We also covered the necessity of the cymbal stand, which at this time, is not optional.

Eric is setup a Slack channel for it, but it's private for now.

Thanks again for the ping Boaz - more details as soon as they are fit to print.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You should be able to lock the stick into the stand with a spring pin that shoots into one of the belt hook holes to keep it in place. So you can adjust the playing position to anything you want,
I still believe it would be nice to see some ball joint type of situation where you don't have to tweak knobs to adjust the cymbal stand to a comfortable position.
the belt hook is too low on the instrument to feel comfortable laying it flat and feeling that it will not pull out of the tagg, but you can get a pretty good angle if you want to sit down and play horizontally or vertically, as well as standing.

Can't wait to see the Next Generation.

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The little wing nut that shoots into the cymbal stand post is not strong enough to keep the tag from spinning. This should be a solid connection. Center of mass needs to be taken into account.

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great feedback Rey - that wing nut was a topic of considerable discussion. We'll log each and every observation - thank you again for taking the time to share. :D

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Mini scaleImage

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:59 am

earthgene wrote:
The first meeting of Council of TAGG met last week.

Council of TAGG, I like it! I guess that makes John Taggart "Lord of the TAGG"?

Anxiously awaiting... just like my Railboard, it'll be many months.

Thanks for the update!
Ken

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 am

Anyone bringing a TAGG or similar setup to Interlochen this year?

I'm a very new Stick owner (I got mine in April) and one of the biggest challenges has been how to best hold the instrument! I haven't found a belt setup that I like -- I'm going to play around with the "Sling setup" today:
https://youtu.be/9hkbKVkOVLQ

I think sitting like Robert Culbertson does or standing up using a TAGG would work better for me than a belt.

Anyway, if any of you are bringing a TAGG or something similar to Interlochen and wouldn't mind me checking it out that would be awesome.

Wenge 10-String Grand
PASV-4 Block
Matched reciprocal tuning, medium gauge

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next