It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

Boss GT-x 

Post Boss GT-x
My stick (12 string, MR, PASV4) arrived just over a week ago (I might put photos up later), and my mind is moving to effects and processing. Does anyone uses the GT-x pedals with the stick? If so, how do you find them?

What it comes down to is that I've got a GT-6B at the moment and I'm wondering about getting a GT-8 for the melody side. I'm hoping that will give me something to get started with that allows a bit of re-use elsewhere and allows me to build up the equipment slowly. Is that a reasonable plan to start with? Would I also need a pre-amp stage before that, or can I either do without it or add one in later?

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:28 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Boss GT-x
I'd say that it is more than reasonable...to start with.

Coincidentally, I use 12-string MR w/PASV-4...I also started with a GT-6B and a GT-8. Personally, I didn't get on with the GT-6B but I thought that the GT-8 was pretty flexible...I've since moved on, as you do (still got the '8' for backup, mind) ;-) The GT-x units have input impedances of 1MegOhm which is on the low-side for the PASV-4 (but bearable) .

n.b. the GT-10 has just been announced so you should see some cheap GT-8s around soon.

I started out with lots of ideas of crazy stereo sounds but once the instrument came into focus a little, I realised that it sounded 'best' with barely any processing (and someone else playing it ;-) )...just separate EQing for either side and a bit of reverb (sounds like a job for the StepABout).

Actually, the minimal effects approach seems to be 'de rigueur' around here at the moment...saying that, I do still run a dual stereo setup...

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:53 pm

I was waiting for someone to mention the StepABout :). It's part of the eventual plan, but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment - unless I'm missing something in the euro-pounds exchange rate.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I thought it was interesting that the new Roland VG-99 has a 2.2 M ohm input impedance for the standard guitar input (you can combine the GK and regular pickup signals). However the Boss GT-10 (which seems to be the same dual effects engine without all the hexaphonic processing) still has the typical 1 M ohm impedance.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quinch wrote:
I was waiting for someone to mention the StepABout :). It's part of the eventual plan, but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment - unless I'm missing something in the euro-pounds exchange rate.

Heh. I actually got mine from the States as BassLab were out of stock...it was still fairly 'spensive though.

I see no prob with using two GT units...good bang for the buck...only that it takes up a fair amount of floorspace. I used two pairs of FS-5U control switches also!
I found that I neglected the bass effects...this was probably due to wrestling with the instrument ;-) When I started out on guitar I had a single switch for channel changing...with the GTs, I was trying to run before walking.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:06 am
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to mention that the 1 meg input impedance on the GT-8 is not too low for the Stick passive pickup, after all most guitars do use passive pickups. ;)

10 string Nickle Plasma Railboard #6974 MR tuning.

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

glennfin wrote:
I just wanted to mention that the 1 meg input impedance on the GT-8 is not too low for the Stick passive pickup, after all most guitars do use passive pickups. ;)

Hi Glenn,

yep...I was a happy GT user for a year or so. When I said 'bearable' I meant it was okay but less than optimal...you get a 'little more' out of a preamp with a higher input impedance (I only have PASV-4 experience). I don't want to be a tonehound though: if it sounds good it IS good ;-)

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've always used 1 MOhm input impedance inputs for the Stick whether it be preamps or effects. Not deliberately, but that just seems to be the typical value for these things. I've never closely A/Bed the difference between preamps with 1 and 2.2 MOhm input impedances and would suspect the difference is on the subtle side, given that the 2.2 M impedance would be a bit more appropriate for a full range passive pickup.

When Greg stopped by a couple times and I tried out the StepABout with the PASV-4 pickups, it sounded great. Afterwards I went back and was able to improve the sound of my effects by starting with a dry tone and playing with input level knobs and switches to get closer to what I was hearing with the Stepabout.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

glennfin wrote:

Actually, I've just had a thought that some passive pickups are...erm...more equal than others: my LRBaggs M1 is passive and it 'likes' to DI via the LRBaggs ParaDI which is a whopping 10MOhms!

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

robmartino wrote:
I've never closely A/Bed the difference between preamps with 1 and 2.2 MOhm input impedances and would suspect the difference is on the subtle side...

Agreed Rob...you have to start using phrases like 'singing highs', 'lively mids' and 'warm lows' ;-)

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:51 am