It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:22 am

Going computer/digital ... again! 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Going computer/digital ... again!
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. About once a year I take a stab and converting my rig to be entirely computer based. Each time I get a little closer before going back to my old rig and wondering "what was I thinking". So here we go again.

After listening to a night of Antoine Dufour play some absolutely lovely guitar through a small audio interface and an iPad, I commented to a friend that I could just never get it to work for me and his response was that there's no reason for that and my issue probably had more to do with my rig being different than with it being digital.

So off I went ... again. This time I decided to start by trying to get an A/B comparison of the two rigs to be as close to identical as possible. I'm still using my analog preamps but I spent quite a long time tweaking my reverbs, delays, distortion, etc. I even discovered a "curve editor" in the Mainstage pedal assignments that lets you get real specific as to the behavior of your expression pedals (which by default were way off).

The biggest thing I did differently that really seemed to help was the looping. I've never warmed up to any of the software loopers I've tried and the Echoplex has always been my favorite so I setup a Mainstage aux channel to send/return the signal outboard and am continuing to use the Echoplex.

I almost went back a couple of times but stuck with it and I think I have it this time. I'll have to live with it for a while to be sure but I've never had the computer rig sounding this good before.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Going computer/digital ... again!
I'm going to sound like a total gearhead here, but...what kind of Echoplex? One of the old tape-based ones, or one of the solid-state ones from the 70s, or... ?

Wenge 10-String Grand
PASV-4 Block
Matched reciprocal tuning, medium gauge

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

liquidbrain wrote:
I'm going to sound like a total gearhead here, but...what kind of Echoplex? One of the old tape-based ones, or one of the solid-state ones from the 70s, or... ?

Neither actually. It's the "Echoplex Digital Pro" which was a looping device created by Matthias Grob back in the early 90s. It was sold by Oberheim for a while and then later it was sold by Gibson until it was eventually discontinued. For the longest time it was pretty much the Cadillac of looping devices and there are a lot of users of this device that are still clinging to it (including me). Still my favorite looper.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. About once a year I take a stab and converting my rig to be entirely computer based. Each time I get a little closer before going back to my old rig and wondering "what was I thinking". So here we go again.

After listening to a night of Antoine Dufour play some absolutely lovely guitar through a small audio interface and an iPad, I commented to a friend that I could just never get it to work for me and his response was that there's no reason for that and my issue probably had more to do with my rig being different than with it being digital.

So off I went ... again. This time I decided to start by trying to get an A/B comparison of the two rigs to be as close to identical as possible. I'm still using my analog preamps but I spent quite a long time tweaking my reverbs, delays, distortion, etc. I even discovered a "curve editor" in the Mainstage pedal assignments that lets you get real specific as to the behavior of your expression pedals (which by default were way off).

The biggest thing I did differently that really seemed to help was the looping. I've never warmed up to any of the software loopers I've tried and the Echoplex has always been my favorite so I setup a Mainstage aux channel to send/return the signal outboard and am continuing to use the Echoplex.

I almost went back a couple of times but stuck with it and I think I have it this time. I'll have to live with it for a while to be sure but I've never had the computer rig sounding this good before.

Welcome back, Glenn, to the digital side! I started there and never really had much of an analog pedal board. Good to see you can find your sound on it. It's ever so much easier if you can hang with the digital side.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery