It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 am

Midi 

Post Re: Midi
sweeeet

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The stick is not new, it was a used stick i impulse bought, that someone removed the midi from. I have sent it back to SE for refurb, and figured might as well install the gk pickup. I know steve adelson loves the midi sticks, so i thought i should return it to its original configuration.

I didn't like the look of the cutout, and the empty screw holes, so i figured i need to at least try some midi stuff, to see what the hype was about.

Thanks for all the info.

Many hours of research will be involved.
They just closed new york state so I may have some time on my hands soon.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:24 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I had posters of Andy Summers in my locker in 9th grade. Hero.

I tried MIDI on two occasions with the Stick and been underwhelmed with the results. Converting analog to digital in real time requires patience and an finding a way to accommodate the tracking. It's another instrument - which is super cool, but not the one I had sought out.

I have had fantastic luck with the SY-300 and made it a permanent part of my melody side configuration. Excellent tracking across all registers and no additional hardware configuration. It's also a fine multi effects processor, like every imaginable boss pedal rolled up into a big blue and beautiful super pedal!

Tom G. gets great tone out of his. I recall checking in with him as soon as I had acquired a n instrument with midi. He said it takes time to get used to. He was right.

I'm certain you'll get hours of enjoyment from it - creating digital sounds with your Stick as the platform never gets old.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RokNrOll mean Gene.
The stick was made for midi, I must now find a processor.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:09 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

gpoorman wrote:
Thought you might like this. This was hanging on the wall in my local music store ... oh ... I want to say around 1982ish. I had a buddy working as a sales guy and after some doing, I finally talked him into pulling it off the wall and letting me have it. 38 years later and still on my wall.

Just need a couple of roadies and you're good to go!

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:11 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

That Andy Summers poster is pure faded 80s gold! I have such fond memories from that era.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

When I look at the poster, and stuff "of that vintage", I think to myself, "Wow, he looks so young". And then I look in the mirror...

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hello, I am back on the forum after a long absence. I play both a ten string graphite stick and a fully fretless NS stick. Curious to know if anyone has tested the BOss SY 1000 which appears to be the latest and “most advanced” from Roland / Boss..
Cheers,
Antony

Tue May 12, 2020 5:37 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
The stick is not new, it was a used stick i impulse bought, that someone removed the midi from. I have sent it back to SE for refurb, and figured might as well install the gk pickup. I know steve adelson loves the midi sticks, so i thought i should return it to its original configuration.

I didn't like the look of the cutout, and the empty screw holes, so i figured i need to at least try some midi stuff, to see what the hype was about.

Thanks for all the info.

Many hours of research will be involved.
They just closed new york state so I may have some time on my hands soon.

Note that while steve uses the stick version of the roland GK pickup which can do mide , he mostly uses the pickup with a roland VG guitar signal processor which does not communicate via midi. it reads each individual-string from the divided pickup and processes that directly. no midi is involved. you should go over to vg guitar forum at --> https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=recent&fbclid=IwAR1entescx_2KiEm8aASIeCTTziBXImAD9-IajD8ZEembOfU4S8JDf5hTk0 and see how it works.

in a nutshell it can do lots of processing , guitar emulation ( telecaster , sitar, strat , etc.. )
electronic remapping of string tunings , roland SY style synthesis, all without most the midi tracking and expression problems that the midi style GK pickup processing faces..

to me the best reason to get a "midi" gk pickup on a stick is to use it with a non-MIDI VG style guitar signal processor.

Tue May 12, 2020 10:27 am