It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS), easy DIY project 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS), easy DIY project
Taking inspiration from @Scronk's use of a Gibraltar SC-EMMP
Electronic Module Mounting Plate in this earlier SUSS post, plus what Werkspace did with a Monopod idea, I've modified the hook mount on my bamboo 12 string Grand so that only using the existing belt hook holes & screws it has both usable belt hook and a mounting plate to allow the Stick to be mounted in a stand.

The mounting screws I used were a pair supplied for a 'flat' belt hook mount, so they are both the same length. I also used the shorter 3rd screw of the usual mount.

I made the 'platform' the same thickness as a 'flat' belt hook mount (the wood is two pieces of some 100mm/4" square edge 'skirting' board I happened to have).

In the picture below it's on a Pearl Cymbal stand. There's quite a lot of hardware to get the height & angle I wanted, but that's partly a matter of combining the bits I had to hand (i.e. it might manage with less if I had access to different bits).

Even with the bits I have I can managed a simpler arrangement for standing playing, but getting it low enough for seated playing was more awkward.

Attachment:
2023-02-24_16-45_DSCF8818_resize.jpg

Now a couple of closer views.

Attachment:
2023-02-24_16-47_DSCF8821_resize.jpg

Attachment:
2023-02-24_16-49_DSCF8822_resize.jpg

And yes, I can still use the belt hook!

It fits just fine on my DBRO inspired lapbar which is what I normally use, and (a little to my surprise) is also fine with the 50mm/2" webbing belt which I sometimes use.

I wear the belt quite loose and when seated the pin of the mounting plate is well clear of sensitive areas!

Stood up there's less clearance, but enough (& I don't play standing up anyway). :D

If more clearance was needed it would be easy to use a longer wooden piece, but if I did that I might be inclined to want to add an extra screw through the wood and into the body of the thick part of the Stick below the pickup module because of the increased leverage?

With the length I've used for this version that extra screw doesn't seem to be needed as the mount seems very firm with just the usual fixings.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
In the picture below it's on a Pearl Cymbal stand. There's quite a lot of hardware to get the height & angle I wanted, but that's partly a matter of combining the bits I had to hand (i.e. it might manage with less if I had access to different bits).

I now have a Pearl AX-28 'One Hole Revolving Adapter'.

With that the arrangement is much neater, simpler & closer to the centre of the stand.

Attachment:
2023-03-08_15-36_DSCF8866_resize.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:56 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I designed my own Stick Stand a while back.
I was always worried about it getting knocked over.
https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12070

So, I designed a Stick Monopod.
In my mind, it's the best solution to the problem.
https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16259

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
I was always worried about it getting knocked over.

My arrangement, clamped to the stem of a cymbal stand is pretty stable. It would be quite hard to knock over.

WerkSpace wrote:
So, I designed a Stick Monopod.

I'm aware of that. Elements of your monopod idea were part of the inspiration for the idea I illustrate above. :)

Indeed it might even be possible to attach a monopod stem to the 'Gibraltar SC-EMMP Electronic Module Mounting Plate' that is now attached to the Stick? As an experiment I did try a that using a cymbal boom, but that put the monopod stem too far 'behind' the line of the Stick for stability. Other approaches may exist...

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
I now have a Pearl AX-28 'One Hole Revolving Adapter'.

With that the arrangement is much neater, simpler & closer to the centre of the stand.

Today I've started to try out another arrangement. Previously the holder was attached to a drum cymbal stand as discussed above. That arrangement was good but I needed to lean forward a bit. I figured that since I play sat, and what I'm sat on is a drum stool maybe I could re-arrange the various drum bits I have to attach the holder to the stool.

I need to use the arrangement for several days to see how well it works out but my first impression was very favourable. I was able to get a better position relative to the Stick, and there is no longer a stand on the floor in front of me getting in the way of pedals.

If I continue to use the arrangement I'll post a pic or two in due course.

Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm liking the new arrangement with a drum stool seat being used as the base for the Stick stand. The Stick can be as close as if it were on a lapbar or belt if I wish, and there's nothing to get in the way of pedals, etc., on the floor in front of me.

It does mean I can't spin round to face a different direction easily, but that's not been an issue.

A few pics...

Attachment:
2023-04-20_17-08_DSCF8907_resize.jpg

Attachment:
2023-04-20_17-09_DSCF8910_resize.jpg

Attachment:
2023-04-20_17-10_DSCF8912_resize.jpg

Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've now modified my combined SUSS / removeable belt hook project shown above to use keyhole hangers & a thumbscrew for easier connection/separation (& other advantages).

There are pictures in the Removeable belt hook topic.

Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:50 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

DavidWS wrote:
I've now modified my combined SUSS / removeable belt hook project shown above to use keyhole hangers & a thumbscrew for easier connection/separation (& other advantages).

There are pictures in the Removeable belt hook topic.

Here's a new type of hidden fastener that I've never seen before.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
Here's a new type of hidden fastener that I've never seen before.

Fascinating!

However it does seem to require an appreciable depth, and you need to have a suitably equipped drill to hand when you want to attach or detach.

For my adaptable Stand / Belthook / Monopod project I'm happy to stick with an old fashioned low tech keyhole hanger plus thumbscrew. :)

I ought to post an update as I've modified the Monopod variant so that it's now all wood (apart from fixngs!), no longer using any camera tripod bits.

Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:18 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Inspired by Scronk's Design and David's elegant mounting solution, I found a very similar Simmons Electronic Mounting stand/plate at my local Guitar Center. I wanted a "Double-Bass" ergonomic vibe, with easy access to a belthook with some relief but also at a much more flattened angle than the stock hook mounting. I used an Oak blank and 2 1/2" screws that I ground 1/4" - 3/8" from. Here's the result:

It's Rock-Stable and with the instrument's center of gravity directly over the center of the stand, I don't think my cats will even be able to knock it over. The stand has a wide base and is really easy to turn so you can step right up to the instrument. Releasing the plate is a "one-and-done" affair, making swapping to the belthook really easy. The post on the plate is indexed--when tightened the instrument exhibits no desire to twist. sideways. It's so comfortable to be able to adjust my stance to the instrument with no weight bearing whatsoever.

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next