It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm

Railboard volume with Audio Interface 

Post Railboard volume with Audio Interface
I am finding the Railboard a bit too quiet for my Focusrite Scarlett, even in active mode.
I have to crank my gain to 10 to get to reasonable volume, but this adds lots of noise to the signal. According to the Focusrite website anything past a gain of 6 will do this, so it is not my pickups that is generating the noise. I can only get to -20dBFS to -24dBFS without noise, which audible but still kinda quiet. For those wondering, I have set my interface to listen for INST input, not LINE.

I am assuming that people are recording using an additional preamp, boost petal/s, or putting a mic to their amp. I am thinking about getting a nice Fishman to practice with, or some boost petals at least. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious before spending more money! :P

Railboard #7205 MR

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:39 am

Post Re: Railboard volume with Audio Interface
I had the same problem on the treble side of my Railbaord. I am not sure exactly which of the the things I tried got rid of it, but, I believe I had multiple plugins that created excessive gain. I only noticed it after I added the Helix Native plugin to the channel strip that also had an empty peddle board in one of the effects slot of the channel strip. I believe removing the empty peddle board fixed it.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:30 am

Hey, I haven't had this issue on either side for my railboard. Make sure your cables are okay and that you don't have a pad on on your audio interface. What type of signal chain are you sending it to or is it just the pure signal?

I tend to use some guitar/bass programs to run my stick and I've had to sometimes put a few extra dBs on my input but nothing remotely close to what you're describing. Might be worth checking the internal routing of Focusrite's software. Their newer software is far from intuitive sometimes.

10-string Railboard #6410

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

are you using the mic cables to connect? then you need to set it to "mic" not instrument. And crank up the gain!

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

greg wrote:
are you using the mic cables to connect? then you need to set it to "mic" not instrument. And crank up the gain!

Cranking up the gain all the way gives me tons of hiss as well as a mild hum. This is just using regular guitar cables/ and the Chapman stereo dry into the interface. I tried several different cables. Cranking up the gain all the way gives me tons loud of hiss as well as a mild hum. It might be a ground loop issue or interference or something. Normally I would not have to crank the gain on my interface so high, so it would be less noticeable perhaps even if it has been there all along.
Now I have a bad case of MER (musical equipment rage.) :P

Railboard #7205 MR

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Amberhawk wrote:
greg wrote:

Cranking up the gain all the way gives me tons of hiss as well as a mild hum. This is just using regular guitar cables/ and the Chapman stereo dry into the interface. I tried several different cables. Cranking up the gain all the way gives me tons loud of hiss as well as a mild hum. It might be a ground loop issue or interference or something. Normally I would not have to crank the gain on my interface so high, so it would be less noticeable perhaps even if it has been there all along.
Now I have a bad case of MER (musical equipment rage.) :P
Just to clarify something: if you use regular guitar cables at any stage between the instrument and the focusrite you’ll loose the phantom power, thus the extra gain signal it provides. Right? Put in other words, is the little led on?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 am

[/quote]Just to clarify something: if you use regular guitar cables at any stage between the instrument and the focusrite you’ll loose the phantom power, thus the extra gain signal it provides. Right? Put in other words, is the little led on?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk[/quote]

I have tried both phantom power using the correct cables, and without phantom power using regular cables in mono mode.
At this point I am thinking its interference coming from somewhere. The electrical wiring and grounding in my house is REALLY bad. At the moment its keeping me from practicing so I might step away from the computer/interface and use an amp till i figure it out. I'll post an update when I am able to tackle the problem again.

Railboard #7205 MR

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:00 am

Finally figured out the source of my issue! It was largely due to a pair of speakers I had plugged in improperly. It must have been causing all sorts of noise. I still pick up a slight hum the at seems to be coming from the melody side of my pickups.. it's very mild though and is probably being picked up from elsewhere. Back to practicing!

Railboard #7205 MR

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:57 am