It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 am

Choosing an effects package 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Choosing an effects package
So far with my return to Stick I've been playing dry, and all of my practice will continue to be that way because I can really hear where I need to improve.

I'm thinking about bringing back the learning journal I did, and I'd like to be able to sound a little better. Plus into the future I'd like to record myself and have it sound good. To start that just means something simple like reverb but in the future it'll mean more effects.

I have a scarlett2i2 and Ableton 8. (I may upgrade that)

I've seen a lot of talk about the Helix stomp and while it looks cool, it's not cheap... I learned about Bias FX 2 and people seem to like it a lot, and I don't need to be able to gig. There's a mobile app version if I ever did want to take it on the road, though. At $180 for the top package it's more palatable, and similar in price to just a reverb peddle.

I know there are other software based multi-effects as well. So far it looks like people are preferring the sound of BFX2 but if anyone has different opinions let me know.

One downside is that it looks like the standalone BFX2 only supports 1 input channel, but I think if I use its vst plug-ins in ableton I could have it do 2 channel without problem. Worst case scenario I route one side through the mobile app and then into the Scarlett I guess.

That's my thinking based on my research so far but I'm sure a lot of you have more/valuable experience.

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:06 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Choosing an effects package
You could check out the Line6 Helix Native demo, same sounds as the HX Stomp but even more simultaneous effects. I use it and the HX Stomp, lots of great sounds are possible. You’d also be able to use Stick settings that people have been sharing here for the HX.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Choosing an effects package
I agree with Rob about Helix Native. But I also hate to see anyone spend too much money when they haven't entirely figured out where they're going yet.

You said you use Ableton Live? Aren't there effects built into that?

I use Mainstage (and also Helix Native) so I'm not real familiar with Ableton. I could have easily gotten by with what comes standard in Mainstage though and I would imagine that Ableton has a lot to play with as well.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

You're right - I should mess with what ableton offers before I try anything else. It's not the most user friendly interface for them but I should be able to get what I need for where I am with it.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:09 pm

Two benefits of running Ableton that you might not have considered,

Ableton will host any free VST plugins you can find to download. If you have never played around with free VSTs before there is so much good stuff out there to try out.

Here is what a quick google search got me:
https://www.gearnews.com/best-free-guit ... tompboxes/

Also, if you have a cheap midi controller mapping effects to them is super easy in Ableton. This works well if you are practicing at your desk. If you have everything set up to practice, adding reverb would only mean turning a dial on your desk. No fumbling with a mouse and keyboard.

Railboard #7205 MR

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey Powagoat.

I did a course at uni on Abelton. I had seriously considered going down the route of using Abelton effects.If you’re not going to gig with this stuff then why not check it out. Less to carry around. There are plenty of helpful vids from their tube channel.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, Abelton have third party members who create synth and effects instruments from the ground up. This means you’re more likely to find something that suits your concept or that stands out from other interfaces.

As a complete opposite suggestion, Zoom effects made a multi effects pedal that has a lot of stuff packed into one fairly cheap unit. I think it was the blue one. Sorry for the lack of details, I’ll look for it later.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Are you using a Mac or Windows computer? If Mac, MainStage is very nice - it's quite affordable and has tons of built in effects (the same ones from Logic Pro), I could even send you a template for a simple Stick setup.

The key to these computer based setups is getting the lowest latency (buffer size) as possible in your audio settings. To my ears, once you get over 5ms round trip latency it's going be a less than satisfying experience, as what you hear starts to feel disconnected from your hands.

Although in the case of just using some reverb, this isn't as big a deal (you could set it up so the dry Stick signal passes straight through to the outputs while some reverb is added on top).

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Windows, unfortunately.

I'll start watching some videos and see how far I can get. With proper training the learning curve may not be that bad at all. In the past messing with effects settings hasn't excited me (though I'm very impressed by the results some people create by combining things in interesting ways). But I've got more time now to do it so I'll just set a goal for myself of spending a whole Saturday on it and hopefully I'll get over the hump.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:57 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've bought a lot of equipment over the years.
My advice would be to save up your money and buy a Helix.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:46 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks everyone for the advice! I got everything routed nicely in Ableton and it looks like I can do about 3.5ms latency so no problems there, and it is very cool to be able to modify the effects after recording.

I've been watching some videos to get myself up to speed (Having really been away from music for near a decade) and although the controls for the effects are waaaaay more complicated than the 4 knobs most pedals have, I'm finding my way around it enough to get some good results.

It'll keep me going for a while.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 pm