It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am

Ideal Busking Setup 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Ideal Busking Setup
Hello Stickists

I've put together a very nice busking setup.

Components:

Bose S1 pro amp (runs on battery power)
HX Stomp (runs on a power pack)
AKG Mini Pro PT40 wireless mic receiver (also runs on a power pack)
AKG Mini Pro PT40 wireless mic transmitter
Countryman H7 headset mic.
Sennheiser Wireless transmitters and receivers from HX Stomp and AKG to S1 Pro (but one can also use wires)

The whole setup weighs about 30 pounds and is easy to carry around on a small trolley. Stomp box, power packs, other hardware and CDs in an aluminium case on the trolley with the amp on top of it. Nice and easy. Bad news is the price of the headset mic but this model is top notch and it sounds just awesome. Also much lighter than a Shure on a mic stand.

Here are some pics:

Attachment:
Countryman_Headset.jpeg

Attachment:
HX Stomp_AKG.jpeg

Attachment:
Busking setup.jpeg

Attachment:
AKG Transmitter.jpeg

Now the only problem is finding places where busking with an amp (even at a reasonable level) is allowed. In Switzerland, we have quite straight rules.

I was invited this year in august to play one week at the Ferrara Buskers Festival in Italy but it got canceled because of COVID 19.

So here I am with a perfect busking setup, only no busking allowed. Go figure...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Ideal Busking Setup
how do you power the HX stomp ?

recently i got this 529HC from mission engineering which officially support th HX

curious if you got other way

Attachment:
529hc.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Boaz,

I use the Litonite Tanker Mini 25000mAh

https://www.litionite.com/product/tankermini/

Works very well, looooong lasting power.

But you MUST put a polarity inverter like this one https://reverb.com/fr/item/15157528-polarity-inverter-cable-dc-2-1mm between the power pack and the HX Stomp and be sure to select 9V DC output on the power pack before plugging it into the HX Stomp.

All the best from Switzerland

Olivier

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Which pickups are on your Stick? I have PASIV and getting the bass right on the S1 is a bit tricky. I use a mic stand in order to activate the S1’s FRFR mode Then back off the bass control on the S1 and let whichever preamp I use. Be it the Headway or the Hx Stomp.

Melody side comes out fantastic but if I remove the S1 off the mic stand I find myself searching for a good bass tone. The S1 has some way of adjusting tone depending on which way you angle it on the floor, which I’ve found a bit scary at times playing outside my home. I’ve actually used it with great success with my Ibanez fretless bass that has a piezo bridge, so in comparison the bass capabilities are there in the S1, but it takes some effort depending on the instrument to find it as there’s so many ways the S1 can automatically alter your tone.

I ask as I have a new Stick coming with a Stickup in it. Curious if the S1 will be more forgiving on the bass side with a Stickup. My NS adapts well to a variety of amps and I can dial in what I want quickly through the S1.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:56 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've had a similar issue with a JC-120 amp. The stickup on #404 has a great bass tone, but the Railboard just wasn't the same. When I bought the Helix Floor and started experimenting with Impulse Responses, I finally got the tone that I was looking for on the Railboard.

I was very interested in the Kemper reverbs, but after some experimenting, I've been able to duplicate them on the Helix by using two different delays in series. I always run a dry channel in parallel with a wet channel to create layers in the final output tone. I'm very happy with the setup.

Here's a youtube video of multiple delays on the Kemper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhLLI7BX1P0

MichNS wrote:
Which pickups are on your Stick? I have PASIV and getting the bass right on the S1 is a bit tricky. I use a mic stand in order to activate the S1’s FRFR mode Then back off the bass control on the S1 and let whichever preamp I use. Be it the Headway or the Hx Stomp.

Melody side comes out fantastic but if I remove the S1 off the mic stand I find myself searching for a good bass tone. The S1 has some way of adjusting tone depending on which way you angle it on the floor, which I’ve found a bit scary at times playing outside my home. I’ve actually used it with great success with my Ibanez fretless bass that has a piezo bridge, so in comparison the bass capabilities are there in the S1, but it takes some effort depending on the instrument to find it as there’s so many ways the S1 can automatically alter your tone.

I ask as I have a new Stick coming with a Stickup in it. Curious if the S1 will be more forgiving on the bass side with a Stickup. My NS adapts well to a variety of amps and I can dial in what I want quickly through the S1.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:18 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Mich,

My Stick has an ACTV2 pickup and I have no problem at all with the S1. When I use the S1, I select an HX Stomp preset in which both channels (bass and melody) are panned on the right output, which means I only use 1 channel of the S1 for the Stick, the other being used for vocals.

When I use bigger setups (Bose L1 Compact, L2B2 or third party systems), everything goes separately into a QSC Touchmix 16 which outputs to FOH and has plenty of auxes for IEM mixes. But that's when I play with a drummer.

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Olivier wrote:
Mich,

My Stick has an ACTV2 pickup and I have no problem at all with the S1. When I use the S1, I select an HX Stomp preset in which both channels (bass and melody) are panned on the right output, which means I only use 1 channel of the S1 for the Stick, the other being used for vocals.

When I use bigger setups (Bose L1 Compact, L2B2 or third party systems), everything goes separately into a QSC Touchmix 16 which outputs to FOH and has plenty of auxes for IEM mixes. But that's when I play with a drummer.

Thanks! ACT2 is closer to my NS. I split the signal into the HX Stomp and go into a single output, but direct tends to be a bad idea, using the Tonematch guitar switch cleans things up a little. A couple weeks ago I played for a private party, and about an hour after I finished I was asked to quickly play for a few others that happen to show up. Not using the Stomp turned out to be a bad idea, trying to save time.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:55 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
I've had a similar issue with a JC-120 amp. The stickup on #404 has a great bass tone, but the Railboard just wasn't the same. When I bought the Helix Floor and started experimenting with Impulse Responses, I finally got the tone that I was looking for on the Railboard.

Thanks! I’m familiar with the JC-120, never owned one but played through a couple by a few friends that own them. Hotter pickups and piezo bridges in acoustic guitars need something on front of the amp or else the sound is very harsh. Just happens that amp can take a lot of abuse but it’s still a guitar amp. Depending on the instrument it’s harder to get a good tone out of the than the S1 from my experience. Never liked playing my Grand through that one.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:01 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Here’s my 8-hour rig I use with my Alto in mono. Enough battery life to get me through a full day at an art festival ( I really miss those) or something along those lines. Roland GR55, TC Plethora X5, and the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. I’ve only had the Plethora for a couple of weeks, but I already put all of my TC Toneprint pedals in the closet. They all live inside the Plethora now. Just thrilled with this box. The Plethora and GR55 are both powered by lithium ion batteries; two Big Joe powerboxes for the synth (4 hours per Big Joe battery), and two Rockboard XT batteries to run the Plethora. The Fishman is self powered. When I want a smaller, “ambush” busking rig, I leave the GR55 at home and just grab the Plethora.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've heard of people commenting about JC-120 amp hiss.
I bypass the JC-120 pre-amp and connect my Helix Floor directly to the two JC-120 main amps at the back.
There's absolutely no hiss with this setup.
All of the pre-amp control is done thru the Helix Floor.
You won't know that the amp is on, until you strike a string.

MichNS wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:

Thanks! I’m familiar with the JC-120, never owned one but played through a couple by a few friends that own them. Hotter pickups and piezo bridges in acoustic guitars need something on front of the amp or else the sound is very harsh. Just happens that amp can take a lot of abuse but it’s still a guitar amp. Depending on the instrument it’s harder to get a good tone out of the than the S1 from my experience. Never liked playing my Grand through that one.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm