It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 am

need help with new amp selection 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: need help with new amp selection
I'm going to throw this out there for what it's worth, I had a chance to obtain one of those Phil Jones Briefcase amps [maybe it was the suitcase version ??] and I am today so sorry that I didn't, since I am aging not so gracefully... now all of a sudden portable gear really appeals to me.

But this might be something for you to explore/check out as well....

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Karla wrote:
Well that is a lot chew on. I do like the sound I have heard on a couple videos with the Bose, I thought the fishman reverb was pretty bad mostly. I am certainly willing to add effects if I need. I guess my technical question would be if the Bose modeling (in guitar) over-rides the bass and treble controls. Since it does not have a mid range control, I am wondering if I can hear some of that with the modeling. Since I have the pasv 4 I can change the tone there also.

Thanks guys!

Unless Bose updated their instructions recently, there are features in that PA you would not know about unless you talk to someone on the internet, like I learned from another forum. There are four modes based on how you orient the S1. Placed on the floor, tilt back, horizontal tilt back, and pole mount on a PA stand. The S1 adjusts the tone accordingly. What I never knew about when I bought it last year was that there is an FRFR switch up inside the hole for the PA stand. This allows you to get a better sound with modeling pedals. Regardless of auto adjust, you still have control of bass, treble, and reverb for the independent channels.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:50 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
I guess my technical question would be if the Bose modeling (in guitar) over-rides the bass and treble controls. Since it does not have a mid range control, I am wondering if I can hear some of that with the modeling. Since I have the pasv 4 I can change the tone there also.

That is an interesting question if you are asking if the Bose ToneMatch "modeling" colors the sound (in an un-tweekable way). I never use the ToneMatch presets and I don't think that they are using "models" in the technical sense but just have the settings optimized say for a Martin D-28 or
the reverb settings for a particular room. In an article on the ToneMatch they describe it like this:

"Building the Studio Engineer into the Equipment
Bose has been working with many musicians and have listened to a wide variety of instruments, microphones and pickups connected to the L1 system, and for each, has taken the time necessary to make the adjustments to the sophisticated equipment necessary to optimize the tone.

Then, they stored the settings inside the T1 (ToneMatch), ready to be recalled at the touch of a button by any musician, anywhere in the world".

So no modeling which means that you have the control of your sound...
I think the drawback with the Bose is that they are not stereo. The line array speaker concept basically says that there is no need for a sweet spot because the sound is the same no matter where you are in the room :|. The controversy continues, but if you look at how many companies are copying Bose I think it is safe to say that they are on to something ;).

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JRJ wrote:
I have used the Bose (Compact) for years and added the S-1 within the last year or so. The S-1 is small, battery powered and can be mounted on a standard PA tripod and it also is designed to tilt back to be used as a monitor.

Imo, for a soloist, the Bose are the best for accurately reproducing your sound, but you really need to use it in conjunction with the ToneMatch. The reverb in that little mixer are better than the Fishman, the AER or the Roland JC-40 because of it's flexibility. The Roland JC-120's btw are huge and you would not really want something that big for an Alto. Also, even though the Bose S-1 has built in reverb it is not as versatile as the ToneMatch reverb. :| In all practicality if you just got the ToneMatch and use it as a preamp/mixer in front of just about any speaker it will improve the sound.

Good luck.

jRj
*j*
.~

The s1pro has a tone match slider on the back . I’m assuming that is different than what you are talking about ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:26 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Right, I am talking about the ToneMatch mini mixer that has "ToneMatch" patches. It can be used
as a stand alone mini mixer/effects unit...
`j`

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Next! LOL, frustration grows. I got a bose sp1 to try, ugly buzz on one channel. I wanted to try the t4 at the same time. I noted that on the website a power supply for the t1 was listed as an accessory, I made the mistake of calling the company, what a joke. I asked if it came with a power supply, the gal said yes.... it does not. Who sells an expensive mixer without a power cable. Yes I am aware that it can powered with its cable but only with few speakers. I finally called Fishman about my ailing sa 220 after researching the problem. I use my Fishman all the time, BUT I don't jack with the knobs very much. The newer 330 is sealed so would be less prone to some of my issues. For a relatively small amount they are exchanging my 220 with a 330. I actually spoke with someone who spoke English and knew the product. I would still like to connect some effects though.

alto, dark bamboo pasv-4 custom strings

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 pm