It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 am

need help with new amp selection 

Post need help with new amp selection
I haven't played my alto stick forever but I enjoy it immensely. I like its ethereal and sweet sound so I am looking for a clear warm sound, not wiry. I currently have a, yet again, ailing Fishman SA220, I want something different and hopefully more stable. I have a large live room to play in, I do not often cart it anywhere. Online, I looked at the Boss acoustic singer pro, the Shertler Jam, Roland jc 120, Line 6 L2T..... I don't have the luxury of visiting these in person so I need opinions. The Boss, for instance, has different controls for the "singer" v the guitar.... not sure what that quite means. I have limited experience with electronics, I am a classically trained pianist. It would be nice to have something all in one like the sa 220.... reverb and or other effects on board that are acceptably usable.

Thank you for helping me!

alto, dark bamboo pasv-4 custom strings

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: need help with new amp selection
Karla wrote:
I haven't played my alto stick forever but I enjoy it immensely. I like its ethereal and sweet sound so I am looking for a clear warm sound, not wiry. I currently have a, yet again, ailing Fishman SA220, I want something different and hopefully more stable. I have a large live room to play in, I do not often cart it anywhere. Online, I looked at the Boss acoustic singer pro, the Shertler Jam, Roland jc 120, Line 6 L2T..... I don't have the luxury of visiting these in person so I need opinions. The Boss, for instance, has different controls for the "singer" v the guitar.... not sure what that quite means. I have limited experience with electronics, I am a classically trained pianist. It would be nice to have something all in one like the sa 220.... reverb and or other effects on board that are acceptably usable.

Thank you for helping me!

Since I moved to Traverse City Michigan last year, I've done a lot of open mics, mostly from the same host who uses a Fishman SA330 I believe, the next generation up from yours. Now post COVID we are playing in a smaller place and I'm the only one needing amplification and I'm doing pretty well with my HX Stomp through my Bose S1. The bass coming out of the S1 to my ears was much better than the Fishman, With an Alto Stick I don't think the S1 would have any issue. Also look at Elite Acoustics, those a pretty good, I've been considering one because of the battery power combined with the effects. Plus what Andy Salvanos does with that amp sounds incredible to me. FWIW, I've also performed with my six string fretless bass through the S1, but I have to be careful as too much input easily distorts it, but keeping things under control even a bass guitar can sound really good through it. I have used it outside as well with no issues.
Not sure if that's what you want as it's only got a bass, treble, and reverb on board, but places like Best Buy and other appliance stores often stock these, so you may find a place to try one out that you might not expect.

Regarding the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro, visit the Acoustic Guitar Forum, lots of people talk about those on that website. That amp is mostly for singer songwriters that need an all in one amp for voice and acoustic guitar. Would work for Stick, but if you are not singing you might find something better.

The Fishman Loudbox Performer 180W amp is really good for Stick, but I sold mine ironically because it was lousy for my acoustic guitar, could never control feedback with it. But makes a great Stick amp, and it's plenty loud for it's size. More effects in it, no battery power.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:36 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A few people use the Bose Sp 1 here . Myself included. I use a grand 12 string and it handles it fine . If you search the site , I think I made a litttle video demonstrating it . Not going to get huge volume , but enough for coffee house type things or busking it’s versatile and it has a good line out for hooking up to a pa or powered speaker for mor volume if needed . You can then make the sp 1 a monitor ( it designed to be able to do that ) it has a built in battery also which is useful for busking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by mike.hoegeman on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

An acoustic image coda will work really well also . Small but loud , good fidelity with a woofer mid and tweeter. There are dealers that will do 30 day returns if you don’t like it . I am guessing you would though . It has a reverb. To be honest . I would just get a outboard small effects unit ( there are good tiny ones these days ) , or use an iPhone / iPad if you have one for effects instead of getting it built in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Since you like to have everything in one and compact, a computer with a good sound card and a few effects (amp sims, etc) might be a good option for you as well. It's worth checking out at least, and much of the equipment can then be used in other music-related settings.

10-string Railboard #6410

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:40 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I can't comment a lot, since I didn't try so much gear, but I have a Roland JC-40 and I'm very happy with it. A large amount of power, cristal clear sound, quite light weight. Onboard effects are nice : reverb is ok, but chorus, especially when you plug into the amp in stereo is wide, lush and rich. Overdrive are just ok, useable if you don't want to use some dedicated pedals. I use it paired with a Trace Ellliot Elf for the bass strings, but if you play an Alto, you may need only the Roland JC-40 for both strings groups.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks for all the suggestions, the Bose looks interesting and was not on my radar. My only concern might be the lack of a midrange control, a boost there can really round out a sound.

Thanks everyone! And will accept more suggestions!

Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:30 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi Karla, as far as amps go I own far too many, so I can voice a couple of opinions if I may.

Quite a few here love the JC-120, and while I have one that was manufactured in 1980 or so, I personally would not use it as my amp of choice.

So, what is my amp of choice ??

Right now, its an early 1970s silverface Fender Bassman tube head - maybe 50 watts - with the matching 2x12 speaker cabinate... quite old, but at the same time quite warm, clean sounding, has a good punch, tone/dynamic rage and very basic [but noisy !!] controls plus the beauty of two seperate inputs with their own basic controls - best of all, it's hand wired and easy to repair should the need arise.

Now, for something smaller... and more modern, I've been dabbling with the iamp - gosh, I forget the model - but it is sooooooooooooo tiny !!! - and also has two inputs as well. This I plug into either a MarkBass 1x12 w/tweeter or a Bag End 2x10, where one of the 10s is coaxial [full range]
*edit: that is the model, it's made by EA Euphonic Audio, and if you can find one of those combos that Trey Gunn used to use, I'd say you are in.

Since you play an alto stick, you can probably get away with something nice and small that does not require a ton of bottom end/power... does your instrument have one or two outputs ??

If you are lucky enough to live near a music shop, see if they will let you try out different amps in their shop... as your ears will know when you struck gold, since we all hear things differently and what I may like, may not work for you.

Cheers, and happy equipment hunting !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Last edited by Big George Waters on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have used the Bose (Compact) for years and added the S-1 within the last year or so. The S-1 is small, battery powered and can be mounted on a standard PA tripod and it also is designed to tilt back to be used as a monitor.

Imo, for a soloist, the Bose are the best for accurately reproducing your sound, but you really need to use it in conjunction with the ToneMatch. The reverb in that little mixer are better than the Fishman, the AER or the Roland JC-40 because of it's flexibility. The Roland JC-120's btw are huge and you would not really want something that big for an Alto. Also, even though the Bose S-1 has built in reverb it is not as versatile as the ToneMatch reverb. :| In all practicality if you just got the ToneMatch and use it as a preamp/mixer in front of just about any speaker it will improve the sound.

Good luck.

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Well that is a lot chew on. I do like the sound I have heard on a couple videos with the Bose, I thought the fishman reverb was pretty bad mostly. I am certainly willing to add effects if I need. I guess my technical question would be if the Bose modeling (in guitar) over-rides the bass and treble controls. Since it does not have a mid range control, I am wondering if I can hear some of that with the modeling. Since I have the pasv 4 I can change the tone there also.

Thanks guys!

Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:02 pm