It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:01 am

NS/Stick MIDI Questions 

Post NS/Stick MIDI Questions
Hey!

Thinking about getting an N/S stick. I really would like to get the Roland MIDI pickup but my main concern is about the placement. Stick Enterprises only gives an option for the top 6 strings. This is disappointing because I want to be able to control bass synths (like a volca bass or a moog minitaur). I don't really know how MIDI works exactly though. Will I only be able to match the pitch of the strings, or are there MIDI devices that can change the octave effectively enough for that to not matter? I don't know enough about the capabilities of the pickup (or midi in general) and am having a hard time finding info. Please send me links to resources if anyone has any! Video demos preferably.

Is there a way that I am not seeing to have Emmett install the pickup on the lower strings? Because even if I could just set a lower octave with the synth, that mean's I wouldn't be able to play counterpoint with the higher strings, making the device essentially an octave pedal for the higher strings. This would make the lower strings strings less present, and at that point I might as well just run it mono, which is counter to my vision for the instrument in the first place.

Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:03 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: NS/Stick MIDI Questions
Many years ago I had an NS/Stick with the Roland GK pickup. All it's really doing is splitting the signal per string for use with an external pitch-to-MIDI converter (I used a Roland GI-10 but they no longer seem to make these or the GI-20 anymore) or a guitar synth like the GR-55 or Boss SY-1000.

There is software nowadays that can do polyphonic pitch-to-MIDI conversion without a special pickup, like Jam Origin MIDI Guitar.

If you are just interested in triggering a monophonic bass synth like a Minitaur, a Roland GK pickup wouldn't really be necessary at all (as you only care about one string at a time anyways), something like this or the Jam Origin MIDI Bass software could work for the bass side output of the NS/Stick:

https://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Last edited by robmartino on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks MW for the question and thanks Rob for an interesting answer. I just now inquired with Sonuus about becoming a dealer for Stick players and will let you know their reply.

From the NS/Stick in stereo mode, you'd have either group of four strings triggering a MIDI synth. With two G2M boxes, all eight strings would fire with each group of four strings producing different MIDI voices, all in mono mode but in this case in "dual mono".

Switching your instrument to mono mode, all eight strings would trigger the same voice.

Stick Enterprises is already a Roland and Boss dealer for their SY300 unit, which is polyphonic, instantaneous with three oscillators plus effects chains, and miraculously takes a mono plug (also one plug from The Stick's stereo cable). This Sonuus product seems to offer simpler and cheaper MIDI access to Stick players, either with mono or dual mono capability.

As I read their Website, you'd also have audio output from your Stick pickup module for a total of three or four outputs, a full orchestra for sure.

Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:06 pm

michaelwilsonaa117 wrote:
Hey!

Thinking about getting an N/S stick. I really would like to get the Roland MIDI pickup but my main concern is about the placement. Stick Enterprises only gives an option for the top 6 strings. This is disappointing because I want to be able to control bass synths (like a volca bass or a moog minitaur). I don't really know how MIDI works exactly though. Will I only be able to match the pitch of the strings, or are there MIDI devices that can change the octave effectively enough for that to not matter? I don't know enough about the capabilities of the pickup (or midi in general) and am having a hard time finding info. Please send me links to resources if anyone has any! Video demos preferably.

Is there a way that I am not seeing to have Emmett install the pickup on the lower strings? Because even if I could just set a lower octave with the synth, that mean's I wouldn't be able to play counterpoint with the higher strings, making the device essentially an octave pedal for the higher strings. This would make the lower strings strings less present, and at that point I might as well just run it mono, which is counter to my vision for the instrument in the first place.

You've presented a slightly complicated scenario but...
B Sharp didn't say that anything other than the 6 string GK option was currently available for the NS/Stick, so there are a few ways I can see this working for you (using the 6 string GK).
All said, the only GK device that I've been able to get to track low Stick bass (for MIDI) notes 'well', is the GI-20 in 'bass' mode (there's a switch on the back). All of the other bass to MIDI convertors I've used have been very flakey, including the long out of production VB-99. Flakey = latency and tracking issues.

Another initial question is whether you want to consider using the NS/Stick tuned in 5th's bass and 4th's melody (vs. 4th's across), which would allow for those two low bass notes on the GK's 5th and 6th (or 1st and 2nd) string pickup 'locations'. Here goes...
Scenario 1) to take the NS/Stick's 6 string GK's output and run it into a GK splitter, and then run that into two GK compatible devices (if you want double MIDI or double GK capability).
Turn the (4) individual melody side string volumes off on the bass GK processor, and turn the (2) individual bass side string volumes off on the melody GK processor.
Scenario 2) Otherwise ask to have the GK mounted on the lowest 6 strings, and then if the strings are considered as mounted 'backwards' (reversed vs. normal) in the GK devices settings, then simply reverse that setting. Turn individual string volumes off as necessary.

I have the half fretless NS/Stick with two 4 string GK's, so I don't (need to) do any splitting, although I could, and have, on the bass side of a grand Stick. I also tune in 5th's bass and 4ths melody - like a Stick. And I also don't really use MIDI other than for patch changes, volume control and pedal modulation control on effects. I prefer using the GK's output audio, which feeds VG, VB and GP Roland and Boss 'COSM' processors, and those processors also have decent filters (not Moog, but not bad either) that can emulate synthesis without MIDI tracking problems. Using Octave type processing is hit and miss (i.e. doesn't always track individual strings perfectly). MIDI note conversion also requires mono vs polyphonic consideration. (I've posted other MIDI info experiences on this site if you want to search further)
I also haven't experienced how well a SY- device tracks bass range, but they are called 'guitar' processors...probably for a reason (i.e. is there a dedicated SY-bass version)? good luck! -B

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:47 pm