It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:49 am

Headrush Gigboard w/Stick 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Headrush Gigboard w/Stick
So now I'm waiting for my new Stick. Gonna be a long wait.

In the meantime, I'm looking at the rest of my rig, and wondering if I've gotten myself into a corner. A couple of years ago the LOML got me a Headrush Gigboard amp modeler and a Headrush FRFR112 powered speaker. I've been using this rig for both guitar & bass with great results.

However, with the Stick being a stereo instrument, I'm thinking that the Gigboard, having only a single guitar input may not do the job. I note the Line 6 HX Stomp (which is priced about the same as the Gigboard) has stereo input. What is frustrating is that the Gigboard allows splitting of the signal chain into a stereo path and stereo output. This would be perfect for adding different effects to the bass & melody outputs if only I had a way of splitting those going into the signal chain. I suppose I should also take this moment to ask if this is the only reason to be interested in a stereo signal path?

I posted a question on the Headrush forum asking if it is possible to use the FX Return jack for a second channel, but that forum is relatively new and doesn't appear to be very active, so I'm not holding my breath on getting an answer there, so I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Post Re: Headrush Gigboard w/Stick
SteveS wrote:
So now I'm waiting for my new Stick. Gonna be a long wait.

In the meantime, I'm looking at the rest of my rig, and wondering if I've gotten myself into a corner. A couple of years ago the LOML got me a Headrush Gigboard amp modeler and a Headrush FRFR112 powered speaker. I've been using this rig for both guitar & bass with great results.

However, with the Stick being a stereo instrument, I'm thinking that the Gigboard, having only a single guitar input may not do the job. I note the Line 6 HX Stomp (which is priced about the same as the Gigboard) has stereo input. What is frustrating is that the Gigboard allows splitting of the signal chain into a stereo path and stereo output. This would be perfect for adding different effects to the bass & melody outputs if only I had a way of splitting those going into the signal chain. I suppose I should also take this moment to ask if this is the only reason to be interested in a stereo signal path?

I posted a question on the Headrush forum asking if it is possible to use the FX Return jack for a second channel, but that forum is relatively new and doesn't appear to be very active, so I'm not holding my breath on getting an answer there, so I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on this.

Thanks!

You need to talk to Bizon about how he routes the HX Stomp. I swear he squeezes every last bit of potential out of that little box. I believe he is doing what you are talking about with the HX Stomp. Hopefully he will chime in here.

MM

Ironwood 10 string #928

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:47 pm

Hello Steve,

with the Helix stomp is it possible to split the signal path.
So you can use different effects for bass and melody.

Best Regards, Andi

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

andikad wrote:
with the Helix stomp is it possible to split the signal path. So you can use different effects for bass and melody.

Actually, Andy, I'm trying to avoid having to spend more $$ on another amp modeler. I assumed that was the case for the Helix Stomp as it clearly has two inputs.

However, I just managed to answer my own question. If I create a split path in the Gigboard rig setup, I can put an FX Loop into one path, set it for "stomp" (instrument-level) input. To test this, I put a Tube Screamer type overdrive in the path after the FX Loop, then put a chorus into the other path.

If I plug my guitar into the single guitar jack, I get only the chorus - the overdrive has no effect. If I plug the guitar into the FX Return jack, I only get the distortion - no chorus!!

Suh-weet!!

So - for anyone coming across this thread in the future, it looks like there is no reason that Gigboard owners can't get take full advantage of a Stick's stereo output.

Edit to add a pic of the rig I just created to test this:
Attachment:
Gigboard Stereo.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Regarding the HX Stomp, I've been running into DSP issues with it after the last upgrade. They added a sought after Freeze function, which sadly uses a lot of DSP. My Sticks are not the only stereo instruments, both my acoustic guitar and electric are also stereo and I process them no different than my Sticks. Not a huge issue nowadays with no open mics, so I mostly play out of the Helix. I had bought the Stomp out of necessity as the Helix is huge and less gear is better at an open mic up here in TC. I noticed that new Gigboard of Headrush also has a 20 minute looper, about 20X longer than the Stomp. Glad you figured out how to setup the extra input, if it sounds good to you you likely will not need something else. Looks to me like the Gigboard is a slightly larger device with a larger processor in it, or they are using a display that doesn't eat up DSP like the Stomp does; I'm not really seeing the comparison as being an "Apples to Apples".

As compared to Line6's competitors in these effects, I find the eq options better than others. For playing live this is a huge asset as I tweak patches for different gear. When we play at Left Foot Charleys the host sets up a Fishman SA330, for the Acoustic Taproom I bring my Bose S1 as I'm typically the only one with an electric instrument. Having a whole rig in a small box like the Stomp is a huge benefit. But if you are not out playing live yet, you should be good with the Gigboard if it's doing what you need it to do. Looks like you have a head start over others, you could be the expert on that forum :)

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 pm

SteveS wrote:
However, I just managed to answer my own question. If I create a split path in the Gigboard rig setup, I can put an FX Loop into one path, set it for "stomp" (instrument-level) input. To test this, I put a Tube Screamer type overdrive in the path after the FX Loop, then put a chorus into the other path.

If I plug my guitar into the single guitar jack, I get only the chorus - the overdrive has no effect. If I plug the guitar into the FX Return jack, I only get the distortion - no chorus!!

Suh-weet!!

And that is probably the most fun. Experiment with equipment and experiment with the music potential. 8-)

MM

Ironwood 10 string #928

Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:15 am