It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:39 am

Anyone have a stick up pickup they wanna sell? 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Anyone have a stick up pickup they wanna sell?
If anyone has a stick up pick up they want to sell let me know.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:32 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Anyone have a stick up pickup they wanna sell?
Call Stick Enterprises, I believe they offer all of their pickup modules for sale as long as you own a Stick. I ordered a Stickup (mounted to a Block plate) last week for my PASV4-equipped Stick so that I can have the option of that classic tone without having to buy another instrument.

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:01 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I called them. Likely going to order from them but never hurts to ask the community if anyone has one. Thanks Bizon

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Of course, and my pleasure.

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:25 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've had both my Stickup pickup and Railboard's R-Block apart to see how they were designed. The Stickup has large magnets attached to the backside of each pickup. The R-Block has none. I'm curious if I could simply add some hard drive magnets to the backside of the R-Block pickups to make them sound more like the Stickup pickup. It's just a thought, but it might work?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:44 pm

WerkSpace wrote:
I've had both my Stickup pickup and Railboard's R-Block apart to see how they were designed. The Stickup has large magnets attached to the backside of each pickup. The R-Block has none. I'm curious if I could simply add some hard drive magnets to the backside of the R-Block pickups to make them sound more like the Stickup pickup. It's just a thought, but it might work?

I don't think that's a good idea. Instead of using a separate magnet like the Stickup does, I bet the core of the pickup is magnetised itself.

Attaching a stronger magnet to your R-Block pickup is likely to permanently and irreversibly alter the magnetisation of the core - this is very easy to do with guitar pickups!

I also think that a big part of the sound of the Stickup is not necessarily due to the magnet but also due to the coil - passive pickups tend to use more windings to get to the desired output level, which increases the inductance of the device and thus reduces the amount of treble. Active pickups can afford to be lower-output and thus have a wider frequency response.

Adding magnets to your R-Block pickup will likely increase the output, which could clip the amplifiers used in the active mode. The passive mode, however, should be fine.

In summary, you can do it if you like, and it will change the sound, but it might also break your pickup!

10-string Railboard, Black (#7129)
Follow me on Facebook:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You might be right. My curiosity is still there. 8-)

My 3D printer can make virtually any size bobbin.
The Alnico magnets and wire can be purchased here.
https://www.nebulabelgium.com/collections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9r2As7Q28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyKS8WGcJ34
tiniuclx wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:

I don't think that's a good idea. Instead of using a separate magnet like the Stickup does, I bet the core of the pickup is magnetised itself.

Attaching a stronger magnet to your R-Block pickup is likely to permanently and irreversibly alter the magnetisation of the core - this is very easy to do with guitar pickups!

I also think that a big part of the sound of the Stickup is not necessarily due to the magnet but also due to the coil - passive pickups tend to use more windings to get to the desired output level, which increases the inductance of the device and thus reduces the amount of treble. Active pickups can afford to be lower-output and thus have a wider frequency response.

Adding magnets to your R-Block pickup will likely increase the output, which could clip the amplifiers used in the active mode. The passive mode, however, should be fine.

In summary, you can do it if you like, and it will change the sound, but it might also break your pickup!

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:19 pm