It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 pm

Two accessories for the Chapman Stick 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Two accessories for the Chapman Stick
Beck311 wrote:
Hi Meugel, Thanks for helping to field some of the questions! Cool that you made a similar strap and are liking it!

It was your idea, Rico! I thought of something similar: a modified saxophone belt. But then you will have the whole weight on your neck. So I think that your solution is much better.

meugel wrote:
I made a copy of Rico's Stick strap using the oval eyelet like on the original shoulder strap. You should find them online (camping accessories).

Search for "eyelet for twist fasteners" or - as Gusset wrote - "Common Sense Fasteners"
BTW: Murphy Connector is something competely different ;)

Beck311 wrote:
Haha Markussz, save a backpack and just buy some nylon webbing :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you don't want to drill any holes in your instrument (neither do I), you can handle it the "old school way" with a shoelace (like acoustic guitars without a neck button, or like the Megatar) ;)

In any case: the more or less vertical position of the Stick mainly is related to the angle of the belt hook, which is too big in my opinion. It is difficult to hold an instrument at 10 degrees inclination when the hook is about 30 degrees. I don't know the reason for Emmett's decision. You have the same problem if you use a kind of broomstick while playing in seated position.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

This idea seems brilliant and appealing, especially the strap lock button for the shoulder strap, as I've once again broken my peg (every 3/4 years I think...) (don't know why Emmett didn't replace the peb by this now universal attachment system?).

But the nice thing about the Stick is that the weight of the instrument is held by the belt and the pelvis, and now with your system, the weight rests more or less on the shoulder. Any problem with your back and shoulder on a long session (when playing, I usually plays for 3 or 4 hours...).

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grozoeil wrote:
This idea seems brilliant and appealing, especially the strap lock button for the shoulder strap, as I've once again broken my peg (every 3/4 years I think...) (don't know why Emmett didn't replace the peb by this now universal attachment system?).

But the nice thing about the Stick is that the weight of the instrument is held by the belt and the pelvis, and now with your system, the weight rests more or less on the shoulder. Any problem with your back and shoulder on a long session (when playing, I usually plays for 3 or 4 hours...).

- The problem isn't weight, it's weight distribution. The Stick is not heavy. A little comparison:
Grand Stick: 3.45kg (SE website)
Les Paul (1970): about 4.5 - 5.0 kg
Music Man Sting Ray: about 4kg
Spector 5string: 4.55kg

And a Bb tuba weighs 8-10 kg!

- The problem is not the belt hook (except for the right/wrong angle). The belt hook is far from the center of gravity and the surface area against the body is too small. So the Stick tilts forward without the neck strap.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

OK, makes sens... Thanks for the insight!

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grozoeil wrote:
OK, makes sens... Thanks for the insight!

The idea with the weight on the belt or pelvis is awesome! But the Stick is and remains top-heavy because the pivot point is not near the center of gravity.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I bought one of Rico's stick straps and am happy with it. I was able to connect the small strap directly to the original locking clip without the need of a common sense fastener. I just turned the locking clip so it was horizontal, as if it was connected to the original strap. With a few adjustments the stick sits perfectly, at the correct angle. This is a good product. Good job Rico!

Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:41 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Okay, I finally got around to trying the strap and I have some thoughts.

Before committing myself to drilling a hole in my instrument, I took the strap lock off the strap and attached the top of the strap to the twist fastener on my Stick. This worked just fine as way to determine if the strap was going to work for me but I wouldn't recommend using the strap this way. You'll really need to either find a washer that will fit over the twist fastener and the strap, or drill a hole for the strap lock system.

Once on, I tried adjusting the strap at every point that is adjustable in an attempt to get it to sit comfortably and at the right angle for me, and I just wasn't able to do so. As Michael mentioned earlier in the thread, the pivot point is nowhere near the center of gravity, so no matter how you adjust the strap, the Stick will not sit even remotely vertically without the instrument twisting and the bass side of the Stick pressing into your belly, and I'm a slim guy! This means your right thumb doesn't have easy access to the beveled edge nor the back of the instrument.

Long story short: although I admire the thought and ingenuity that Rico put into designing this strap, it's just doesn't work for me. If you play your Stick angled more like a guitar or bass, this might appeal to you.

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bizon wrote:
If you play your Stick angled more like a guitar or bass, this might appeal to you.

That's exactly what I mentioned earlier in the thread:
"It is more the Cides/Adelson position" and "It is difficult to hold an instrument at 10 degrees inclination when the hook is about 30 degrees. I don't know the reason for Emmett's decision."

Anyway: for me it works, better with the Alto, worse with the 10-string.

There are quite a lot of Stick players out there with similar solutions, p.e. Youenn Landreau, André Pelat, Joe Conti, ...
If you just don't like the neck strap check out Alex Nahas (brightbrownny on YT). He uses a combination of belt and guitar strap (I still have to try this!).

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:17 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

If anyone wants to purchase mine, I'll sell it for $35 + shipping. It's essentially unused, except for me trying it on.

Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:02 pm