It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

Made my first rig for Stick in a Gigboard 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Made my first rig for Stick in a Gigboard
Took a bit of experimentation, going into some features I'd never used before, but I finally got a rig set up in my Headrush Gigboard that should be a decent starting-point for use with my Stick when it ships.

The challenge was getting everything set up to have two complete, separate R/L bass/melody channels all the way through.

One limitation I'm seeing in the Gigboard (and presumably the Pedalboard also) is that with this configuration I'm limited to four "pedals" on each signal path, and on the bass side, one gets taken up by the FX Loop "pedal" in order to use the FX Return for the bass-side signal. The amps I selected, an Ampeg SVT300 for the bass path, and an Orange AD30HTC (clean channel) for the melody side both have a full complement of hi/med/low EQ controls, so I may be able to forego the EQ on each side, and not sure whether I'll need a compressor, but they're in there.

Note that with a "normal" single signal path, I could put a combination of nine different "pedals" in the chain, plus the amp and cab.

Attachment:
First Stick Rig.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Made my first rig for Stick in a Gigboard
Compression and reverb is pretty much what I am using my HX Stomp for these days. I have been experimenting with the Cosmos Echo, it's really fun.

The setup looks like a great starting point. I'm still looking to find that perfect templated melody side set up as I am only using the Stomp on the melody side these days.

What kind of pickup are you using? Do you have special configurations in the globals or with input gates?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

earthgene wrote:
What kind of pickup are you using? Do you have special configurations in the globals or with input gates?

Don't have my Railboard yet, but when it arrives it'll have the new EMG R-block with passive pickups.

Globally, the setup on the "In" block in the rig above has a noise gate which I've left at it's default setting. Won't know whether it will need to be adjusted until I get the Stick plugged into it, as is the case for every other model in the chain. Unfortunately, the noise gate is only in effect for the melody side signal chain. If I end up needing a gate on the bass side, I'll have to add it as an additional pedal. The FX Return bypasses the input noise gate.

One trick I had to discover was in the "Mix" block. I set the stereo width to 100%, and was still getting a blend on both channels, but then discovered the setting that specifies the mix between the two. So now the R/L signal is flowing unblended into the two amps.

Since you're running a Stomp, I'm assuming you have room for many more pedal models in your signal chains. Since the new HX Stomp XL has come out, I've been keeping an eye on used HX Stomps, in case I find the Gigboard somewhat limiting. TBH, I'm not much of a tone-chaser as I've mentioned here before, so it will probably be good enough for me until I can really start doing anything significant with the Stick.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

So, one of the limitations of that rig is that I have EQ taking up one slot in each signal chain. Not sure at this point if that will be an issue, but I also find myself looking at things like that Rane SP-13 that is currently on offer on this forum, and the Boss VF-1's that Glenn was selling, not because I'm necessarily in need of a preamp, but for some additional front-of-chain EQ. If I have to pull the EQ out of either chain in the rig above, the only EQ is at the very end, in the amps, which just ain't optimal.

So I got to thinking that I should just plug an EQ into the front of the chain and be done with it. Something like the Behringer linked to below.

Seems like a good idea to me.

I welcome any thoughts y'all have on this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FBQ1502HD--behringer-ultragraph-pro-fbq1502hd-15-band-stereo-graphic-eq-with-fbq-feedback-detection

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I wouldn't recommend getting more gear until you have your Stick. I have no experience with Headrush products, but your pic makes me wonder do you get a choice of a block that is a combo amp, or are those really separate blocks for amp and cab? With HX Stomp/Helix going to a combo amp can save blocks provided you don't run out of DSP. Would the EQ controls on the amp be good enough to EQ each side making the EQ blocks unnecessary? You really will not know until you run a Stick through it.

Many of my Stick patches in my Line6 gear don't even use any amp or cab models, the EQ blocks and sometimes compression work well with what I run them into. Outside of that I have an EAE Stompmix 6 mixer pedal that has EQ, compressors, reverbs, delays like many other small mixers have. Works great through PA's with no amp modeling. I bought it primarily for going under total battery power with the Bose S1 I have. But it's also nice using other powered speakers/amps I have.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
I wouldn't recommend getting more gear until you have your Stick.

Oh, yeah - ain't buyin' nuthin' until I get it. Greg is putting on a "Getting good tone out of a stick" at the Interlochen workshop to which I'll be paying close attention.

MichNS wrote:
do you get a choice of a block that is a combo amp, or are those really separate blocks for amp and cab?

Same as with your Stomp. You don't need to add anything to the signal chain other than the FX-Loop item to get the second channel into it. The pic below is the actual template that I have stored. Strictly clean all the way through. They do have combo amps in the list of models, but the cab is optional in all cases. For any amp you add a cab only if you like/want the "color" that a particular cab lends to the sound. I only added them in the rig posted above just to ensure I knew how to keep the two signal paths separate all the way through to the output, even with amps & cabs added.

Attachment:
GB Stick Template.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:47 am

Any further info about using the headrush? I’m about to pull the trigger on a Railboard and currently own a gig board. At first blush, looks like the gig board will work decently. Interested to see if your experience is positive or negative.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:17 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

flyboy320 wrote:
Any further info about using the headrush? I’m about to pull the trigger on a Railboard and currently own a gig board. At first blush, looks like the gig board will work decently. Interested to see if your experience is positive or negative.

Nope. My Railboard is still on a bench somewhere at SE, and I'm assuming I won't be seeing it before the end of the year. I did have a chance to plug a Railboard into it at the Interlochen Workshop back in July. I only used one channel, but it seemed to work - at least the volume wasn't any kind of a problem. I really didn't have time to play with it to route the melody & bass through separate channels, and tweak the EQ and add effects etc.

However, I'm expecting it to do just fine. I use it (and the FRFR powered speaker) now for both guitar and bass and have been very happy with it.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:35 pm