It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 pm

Talk to me about iOS/iPad 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Talk to me about iOS/iPad
I bought my first Android tablet in 2003. That one got "bricked" in an update (I assume it was because I had so little available memory). Even after managing to do a factory reset it wasn't right.

I now have two Samsung Android tablets. One has been relegated to simply being a "music server" in my workshop. It had become unusably slow, but after clearing everything off of it other than the software I use for playing music (and all the junk that Samsung puts on it that can't be removed :x ), it works well enough. The other (newer) Android tablet is what I use in my music room. It "lives" on my V-Drum kit, but I also use it for displaying sheet music/tab for guitar/bass, playing backing tracks etc. I don't use it for any kind of recording or production. That stuff all lives on my Windows laptop. Because this tablet is really getting slow due presumably (again) to having too much stuff on it - It's my general-purpose mobile device to supplement my iPhone and only has 64gb of memory, not including the 64gb SD card - I was thinking of replacing it.

I've never considered getting an iPad because of the cost, but I get the impression there are many more apps for musicians available for iPads than Android or Windows devices. I also objected to not having any way to expand the memory beyond what comes with the device; while I can't load any applications onto the SD card on my Android tablets, I can at least put all the sound, video and document files on the SD card. The current cost for an iPad pro with 1TB of memory (I'd really like to stave off the inevitable "obsolescence" of an iPad if I buy one) will set me back about $1400! :shock:

So, I'm sure some of y'all out there are neck-deep in the iOS ecosystem, and would appreciate any comments or thoughts about my springing for an iPad.

Thanks.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Talk to me about iOS/iPad
I have an iPad Pro and have used it for recording, as an FX machine and for notation and writing. The Pro is very versatile for musicians. Editing on it is awesome. They are spendy, but for the money - you get a lot of uses, and time - I had an iPad 2 that I used for years before I got a new one.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JHammondC wrote:
I have an iPad Pro and have used it for recording, as an FX machine and for notation and writing. The Pro is very versatile for musicians. Editing on it is awesome. They are spendy, but for the money - you get a lot of uses, and time - I had an iPad 2 that I used for years before I got a new one.

Thanks for the recommendation.

What music-related apps do you have on your iPad that you find most useful? Since I have an iPhone I "bookmarked" a few in the app store that caught my eye (mostly "looping" apps for playing a backing tracks w/drums or bass). It would be helpful to peruse others that I might find useful.

Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:37 am

Steve,

I'm primarily an Android user, but I do have a 12.9" iPad Pro (2nd gen, IIRC).

On my iPad I use the following;

Melodics for my drum lessons

Newzik for sheet music

Fretboard Pro for Stick neck diagrams (I also mentioned this in another thread with you).

I also use a wireless Bluetooth MIDI adapter with my iPad, Yamaha MD-BT01. This only works with Apple stuff, if you need to use Windows (or Android? not sure about that one) you'll have to get the Roland version and an additional unit.

Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ThinkMethod wrote:
On my iPad I use the following

Thanks!!

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Having unloaded a few pieces of woodworking equipment that I don't use, I have enough $$ in my jeans to pull the trigger on an iPad. The problem now is, which one?

The iPad Pro almost seems to be overkill. I see it often described as an alternative to a laptop, and I already have a good laptop.

That seems to narrow the choice to the iPad Air (4th Gen) OR the iPad Mini (6th Gen).

The Mini actually seems just a tad more powerful than the Air, having a slightly updated processor, and a more powerful front camera, which would be nice for Zoom calls with music teachers. I also like the smaller form-factor, which makes it much more practical for reading.

However, for things like reading sheet music, and manipulating controls on complex virtual devices like a mixer, loopers, metronomes etc. that larger screen on the Air is sure enticing. I've also been known to watch movies on my tablets.

The price difference isn't much - for the 256gb version (the max offered) the Mini is $650 and the Air is $750. There are also a lot more accessories for the Air than the Mini (cases and such). So, at the moment I'm leaning toward the Air, but thought I'd get other, contrary thoughts if there are any.

Here is a comparison page on Apple's site

Thanks.

Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

iPad users may be interested to know that Logic Pro is now available ;)

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad/

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed May 24, 2023 11:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

robmartino wrote:
iPad users may be interested to know that Logic Pro is now available ;)

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad/

Wow! How long until we get Mainstage by extension? My setup is currently a 2013 Macbook Pro and I'll likely be looking to replace it in the next year.

Wed May 24, 2023 12:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I agree, MainStage on iPad would be very cool, I don't know if that might happen.

I had some promising initial experiments playing the Stick directly (via RME interface in class compliant mode) through two different channel strips in Logic on iPad, as well as using the HX Stomp as an audio interface to the iPad and recording both dry and effected signals on multiple tracks. You get all the built in Logic effects on iPad but third-party plug-in support isn't currently as widespread as what's on Mac, although that will continue to improve.

I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 and MainStage is pretty great on that, although my 2013 MacBook Pro was still holding up ok (it's the fan noise that annoys me the most with that setup - the M1 is silent).

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu May 25, 2023 2:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery