It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 pm

Pelican cases? 

Post Pelican cases?
Greetings.

Has anyone tried a Pelican case for touring with your Stick? I am in the US, but do a European tour every year or so, Covid willing. Trying to think ahead of alternatives in case I can't use the Stick gig bag as a carry-on and am forced to check it through baggage. Maybe something like this, tho there are other models:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... 3300-00001

Any experience with a Pelican case for your Stick? I've used a few for mics, so I know how tough they are.

TIA,
-e.

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:14 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Pelican cases?
Any reason not to just get a hard case for it from SE? If memory serves, you can even remove the foam and stuff the Stick-in-a-gig-bag in the hard case, so you can travel with both. (Verify that before counting on it, though...my hard case isn't at my home, so I can't check.)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:36 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Pelican cases?
Ezra wrote:
Greetings.

Has anyone tried a Pelican case for touring with your Stick? I am in the US, but do a European tour every year or so, Covid willing. Trying to think ahead of alternatives in case I can't use the Stick gig bag as a carry-on and am forced to check it through baggage. Maybe something like this, tho there are other models:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... 3300-00001

Any experience with a Pelican case for your Stick? I've used a few for mics, so I know how tough they are.

TIA,
-e.
I have the exact same case but built by SKB. Perfect for flying with two sticks in their gig bags or one stick and some clothes. Perfect for long flights : it has a valve for the difference in pressure in the cargo whole so no worries with that either. The only inconvenience is that people in the US think it’s a riffle case.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks, bachdois.

When you travel, have you had any issues checking it through airline baggage? The only two case brands I use on tour are Calton or Anvil. I don't know that I'd trust anything else, tho the Pelican cases that I've seen look like they could handle touring.

Thanks and regards,
-e.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:02 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Never had any issues with the case. It’s just oversized luggage (same as if you travel with a surf board). As long as it doesn’t weight more than the regular 20/25kg all passengers are allowed to carry, there is no issue (witch it doesn’t, with a grand and a railboard). As for the brand, it’s all Injection moulded plastic (I believe it is the same factory that builds them for different brands). Either way, you can drive a car over it and it won’t break. The case I have shares the exact same mold as the electric bass one or the snipers riffle for both SKB and Pelican : they just change the foam inside. Those other brands I don’t know but as long as it’s the same material you won’t have a problem. I have a video here somewhere of the airport handlers dropping mine when loading it on the plane… all good. :)

All Links:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:32 am

Thanks again, bachdois.

I like the idea of keeping the Sticks in their gigbags, and packing the gigbags into the Pelican case. Using the gigbag from hotel to venue back to hotel would be much easier. Great tip; thanks again.

I used to tour with a Steinberger as a carry-on, so I'm used to shocked "HE'S GOT A RIFLE!" looks from folks in airports. :)

thanks again,
-e.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:08 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just for fun, a few more pics of the case. How many sticks can you put on it? :) cheers Rodrigo Image

All Links:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Excellent multi-Stick pic.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great pic, Rodrigo!

I'm 96.82% confident that this is not your personal Stick collection. So where/when was this taken? During a visit to SE?

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:39 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Why wouldn’t this be my personal collection!!?? Lol. But unfortunately you are right: the pic was taken during the 2018 Free Hands Academy, hosted by none other than our own Gene Perry. :)
Check this one out: Image

All Links:

Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:10 pm