It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

Stick to MIDI (Roland GK ) gear comparisons? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Stick to MIDI (Roland GK ) gear comparisons?
DavidWS wrote:
May I double check my understanding of that.
If I'm I getting it correctly these devices can be taught to identify which string the note is being played on just from analysis of the audio feed, thus allowing 'per-string' MIDI processing and removing the 'per-string' advantage that hardware MIDI pickups used to enjoy? Is so, then WOW! :o

That's not entirely accurate. The Roland GK pickup is a "Hex" pickup which basically means the unit is split into six discreet pickups (one for each string) with six discreet outputs. So the audio is already split per string and fed to whatever unit you're connecting to via a proprietary GK cable. The unit is then free to process it as audio or convert it to some manner of signal that can be used to trigger a synth. For all-in-one Roland gear, that signal is proprietary but for outboard gear, it can be converted to MIDI. Of course that last part is somewhat complicated and there are a myriad of settings that allow you to tailor how that conversion is done and how clean it is.

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It occurs to me that while it looked like you were asking about the GK gear, you may have been asking about the SY gear which is a different beast entirely.

Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
It occurs to me that while it looked like you were asking about the GK gear, you may have been asking about the SY gear which is a different beast entirely.

Yes, I was asking if gear that only has an audio feed as source could now differentiate between strings?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:01 pm

DavidWS wrote:
gpoorman wrote:

Yes, I was asking if gear that only has an audio feed as source could now differentiate between strings?

There are demo versions of the software on that jam origin site. You can plug a guitar into it and see how it goes, to possibly answer your question (while you wait for your Stick).
Maybe also tune the guitar in 4th's (or 5th's...).
It's an item on my own to-do list to check out. Only so much time on the day, sigh. ;)

There are different SY models. If they don't have GK inputs then they are single audio (1/4") channel input. Many Roland/Boss boxes of these sort allow for both GK and 1/4" inputs, but the 1/4" signal is sometimes routed to effects only, and not the synth or COSM modeling. It's a matter of downloading the various manuals and sussing it all out. If you haven't ordered a GK pickup for your Stick, you should do all of this homework ahead of time, as it would add on extra time to ship the Stick back to SE to retrofit it with the proprietary spaced pickup, and then send it back to you.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

hang12 wrote:
Maybe also tune the guitar in 4th's

I already do (& have ever since I started). :)

hang12 wrote:
If you haven't ordered a GK pickup for your Stick, you should do all of this homework ahead of time, as it would add on extra time to ship the Stick back to SE to retrofit it with the proprietary spaced pickup, and then send it back to you.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it will be a good long while before I'm proficient enough to think about anything beyond just getting a reasonale sound from the basic instrument! By the time I reach that point, if ever, the technology options will most likely have moved on?

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:01 am

DavidWS wrote:
By the time I reach that point, if ever, the technology options will most likely have moved on?

Possibly a method for a mono audio input detecting individual strings would be to fingerprint each note (all of its harmonics). i.e. the (over)tone(s) on one string's Bb is not the same on the next string over. So possibly you would have to sample all the dry notes on each string for re-detecting. With fast processors possibly only a few msec's detection to playback lag would be possible.
So that's 288 notes for a Grand stick with 24 frets. But - there would probably be all sorts of degradation problems with string age, gauge, tuning and other slop, etc.
An earlier method for the pitch to MIDI detection for hexaphonic pickups was to use all same pitched light gauge strings. That was for pure MIDI playback only, obviously. lot of drawbacks.
There have been all sorts of attempts for sensors and surfaces in use for tactile reproduction, but somehow it seems to always work its way back to the GK type pitch to MIDI thing.
I was/am hoping to see a ROLI Seaboard surface type of tap guitar attempt. The Ztar was an earlier sort of attempt like that - but to me that sort of thing becomes accordion-like button pushing for playback. Which points again towards people just really like playing strings, and for good reason.
GK Pitch to MIDI does work, sorta, kind of - it's just sort of maddeningly inconsistent. One has to be an exacting player. Or not be in a rush. Or not care. It's a lot of fun when the pitch detection is behaving to one's own liking, and one great advantage is that it adds a sustain pedal into the equation. I use MIDI with the Stick a lot but for everything but pitch to MIDI. i.e. patch changes, patch editing, rocker or momentary pedal...for me MIDI is an indispensable tool. So are the GK's.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Hang 12,

Thanks for the detailed info and experience sharing! For what it's worth, I've managed another day of SY-1000 experimenting here and got things a little better. Maybe 85% as good as the GI-10 for my purposes? Feel like I may still improve things there by further settings experiments, but we'll see. My main goal with it is to mostly use "normal input" patches coming from the melody side pickup with occasional gtr to MIDI layering.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of using it in poly mode. I've always done mono, but what you said makes sense. What are you actually using though to do that? My normal live rig for decades (or is it centuries, hah!) has been the GI-10 going to an XV-2020. The XV-2020 certainly has performance modes that could be set to do poly... is that all you would do? And set a pitch range on each channel? Seems like a good idea if you can afford the homework time!

One interesting "maybe" find... I ran the MIDI out of the SY-1000 to the MIDI in on the GI-10 for easy back and forth comparing to trigger an XV-2020. My sense is that notes from the SY were a little louder... like maybe from its sensitivity still being higher, thus higher MIDI velocities being output? I haven't done it yet, but I thought I might record the MIDI data from both the GI-10 and SY-1000 simultaneously in Pro Tools to see what I might see.

On a related note... any suggestions on a MIDI librarian program? I discovered MIDI Quest online which looks good. Any others? (The XV editor from Roland is long dead).

Thanks again for the insights!
Tom

hang12 wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Hopefully this isn't off-topic, but do any of you have experience with the SY-300?

I haven't used any of the other SY-'s, sorry. Not off topic at all. I think anything Roland GK (or not) related is worth hashing over. I'd love to hear about positive experiences. I really dig all of the VG and GP gear, but not for MIDI triggering, which I believe is what Tom was asking about, in general. The dedicated GI-10 and GI-20 still are the best performers IMHO.

Some of the SY-1000 internal synth sounds track well. And sound good. It's like a next generation re-packaged VG-99/GP-10 combo, with more muscle. Functionally eh not so different.

btw in regards to all of the GK set-up stuff - i.e. scale length, level setting, pickup distance from bridge, etc - tweaking is pretty straight forward. It's kind of a 'take your best shot at it, play it for awhile, then set various things at the other end of the scale to see how bad things won't work, then dial it back in'.
I suggest downloading and reading some of the other product related manuals too - sometimes there are insights gained from one manual to the next, or better explained in later generations.

Also - regarding sensitivity settings for 'Per string level' - that I've found to work best - set peaks to around 95%, otherwise crosstalk can occur (with note triggering across adjacent strings) if the levels are too hot. The fatter strings need a lot less gain.

btw - I think this looks pretty amazing - and is probably/maybe covered elsewhere in the forum(?):
https://www.jamorigin.com

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:47 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi David,

Sorry, but I think the answer is no. The SY-1000 has two inputs, a normal guitar jack and a Roland GK-13 pin. Each patch is set to look at one or the other as a source. But... in "normal input" mode, it can still see the GK-13 input to do pitch to MIDI conversion. The only way to see separate strings is to use the hardware GK pickup, but you can do synth-like sounds from the guitar input (the older SY-300 only has a guitar jack input, so its essentially that). The advantage to the GK apart from somewhat questionable pitch to MIDI tracking is that you can do more "analog" type things like alternate tunings. For a guitarist, its setup to make the GK pickup sound like different types of guitars. For a Stick player... something like a nylon string guitar patch sounds pretty (ahem) "interesting" when tapped. But if I strum the Stick I get what they're after ;-)

Best,
Tom

DavidWS wrote:
hang12 wrote:
btw in regards to all of the GK set-up stuff - i.e. scale length, level setting, pickup distance from bridge, etc - tweaking is pretty straight forward.

May I double check my understanding of that.
If I'm I getting it correctly these devices can be taught to identify which string the note is being played on just from analysis of the audio feed, thus allowing 'per-string' MIDI processing and removing the 'per-string' advantage that hardware MIDI pickups used to enjoy? Is so, then WOW! :o

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the detailed reply Tom..

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:43 pm

Sorry Tom - I can't figure out how to address various points via the quote mechanism on this forum - too many embedded thingies. :roll: I hope I can address your thoughts here.

The jam origin site looks interesting, and you'd have to try it to see if it works for you.
That is supposed to deal with poly interpretation. Some other folks on this forum seemed to think it was so-so. Very subjective thing.

GI-10 wise - I would go with mono, multi-timbral operation. each string on its own channel. set the individual note ranges on the XV-2020. I have an XV-2020 still, and the only Roland dedicated editor runs on an ancient Mac operating system, They didn't make it a VST so it's dead.
MIDI-QUEST says they have a XV-2020 profile, I think. I still have not tried MIDIQUEST - that's on the bucket list as well, as I still have a lot of older synths.
I would -not- recommend the old fashioned POLY operation (like on the GI-10) for MIDI, if you're doing any pitch bends.

To be honest my SY-1000 has laid fallow for a while. It's in the queue for a re-visit soon. Been playing more 1/2 fretless NS/Stick in the interim, and it is a good candidate for the 4 string fretted side.

The Roland Integra-7 has a current OS compatible (VST/AU) plug-in editor, and is like an XV-2020 on steroids for sound capabilities. Unfortunately, all of this requires a lot of fiddling (patch changes, ranges, transpositions, etc.) across multiple MIDI channels - and I actually built a MAX based editor for making changes across 6 channels or more (using single controls or patch changes) with the Integra-7. That was a lot of sys-ex homework and effort, and I can't say that I ended up using it a lot because I felt that the Integra-7 balked (glitched) when it received too much MIDI from the Stick and my pedals, sending it e.g. pitch bend and multiple types of CC MIDI messaging. Bottleneck problems...
(incidentally, after doing the Max patcher for Integra-7, I looked at the XV-2020 MIDI sys-ex spec and it was very very similar. and it's a simpler box. I just ran out of energy towards that endeavor)

(edit: I did want to add in that the reason for glitching is because many of the parameters for the older Roland gear are not assigned to specific MIDI CC's and so sys-ex messages are required instead, which hog a whole lot more bandwidth when addressing say the same parameter (like volume or transpose or filter resonance or envelope release) at one time on 6 different MIDI channels)

Comparitively speaking - MPE instruments like Roli can produce multiple MIDI channels of note. pitch bend, aftertouch, and filter (CC74) with one hand of playing and at least two other X-Y pad axes of CC messaging using the other hand, and the receiving software apps (Cypher, Strobe, Equator) don't glitch. If you send an Integra-7 gobs of messages like that (even over USB) it's just not as reliable.

Point being maybe using an MPE plug-in may be better suited in some or most cases for MIDI guitar applications. The new Mac M1 laptops look pretty powerful and many of the music apps are now M1 compatible. pricey though. I'm waiting for the next gen M1 Mac mini which is supposed to have more ports than the current offering. And I got to say, a lot of the softsynths these days sound pretty amazing.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:00 pm