It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

Neural DSP Quad Cortex. 

Post Neural DSP Quad Cortex.
I am a recent recipient of the Neural DSP Quad Cortex. Wondering if anyone else took the plunge?

I got this primarily for my guitars, but a huge perk for me was to have a unit that also accepted the dual XLR/phantom power input for my Railboard. It is a very capable unit with a friendly UI, and I'm taking baby steps to maximize the enjoyment to intimidation ratio. It is fun, but I have a LOT to learn!

Blue Railboard, #7081, DMR

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Neural DSP Quad Cortex.
Was a looper ever added? The biggest complaint I’ve heard about it, considering the processing power exceeds the Helix. Recently discovered it can also model effects pedals, originally I thought it only did amps. Could be a dangerous toy — gives reasons to buy more effects pedals and model each of you favorite settings in each one, thus ditching a larger pedal board when playing.

Love the Helix I have, but the size isn’t always live performance friendly, so I added a Stomp. Bad thing about the stomp is the odd short lengthed power cord with the huge wall wort on it.
The QC looks perfect but the price is high enough to make me question if it’s worth buying. For me Line 6 reverbs and delays are not quite up to par with other manufacturers, but the guitar amps, cabs going into the Powercab solved many issues for me with guitar. If COVID had not happened and I were playing live weekly again I’d likely buy this and sell the Stomp, possibly the Helix if I liked it better.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 am

No looper at this time, but I do believe that feature will be included in future updates. Neural has done a good job improving things, although some feel it was released too early. I am kind of a fly on the wall of the Quad Cortex FB group.

Most common gripes seem to be...
--Wimpy power supply, including wall wart. Sometimes has caused grounding and hum issues. This has not been the case for me.

--No desktop editor yet.

There is a substantial wait on these units (~6 months), so you might be able to score a used one from a few of the disgruntled owners. Beware, some will crank price way up (north of $3000), but many were about the price they paid.

In short, this unit will only get better with updates, but you might wait a few months for the storm to settle down!

Blue Railboard, #7081, DMR

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

starburntsky wrote:
Most common gripes seem to be...
--Wimpy power supply, including wall wart. Sometimes has caused grounding and hum issues. This has not been the case for me.

--No desktop editor yet.

Thanks for the heads up. At that price it’s just not worth replacing the Stomp with. Line 6 recently released a larger Stomp, or I could go with the competing Boss or Fractal FM3 as a smaller platform where the Helix would just be too big to bring. No editor is a bummer, but the Quad has the largest screen of those products, plus the foot switches add more controls. From what I can see of the effects offered, I believe the Helix line offers more choices in eq and compression similar to what’s in Logic. However all of these units have new updates over time which may have changed since the last I looked.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:55 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm married to the Line 6 Helix Floor and have no reason to look around for anything better. 8-)
https://line6.com/helix/helix-floor-rack.html

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:41 pm