It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

Lap Dawg and Alto/SG12 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Lap Dawg and Alto/SG12
Does anyone have experiences using the Lap Dawg with a short scale Stick (Alto or SG12)?
The belt hook is situated lower than on long scale Sticks, on the thickest part, right under the pickup module.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:21 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Lap Dawg and Alto/SG12
As the inventor of that gadget, I've put them on every model Stick that exists. As I recall, on the short scale Alto/SG12, the folded arms extend past the end of the body about an inch on the right arm and about an inch and a half on the left arm. Depending on the case you use there may or may not be a problem. They''re 6061 aluminum and so can pretty easily be trimmed down till they're not a problem. The arms are made to accommodate most body sizes and on people with a slender build could find losing a little excess length perfectly fine - even desirable. A heavy-set fellow might need all the length. Bob Culbertson has a custom one-of-a-kind Tenor Stick that's halfway between a full size Stick and an Alto scale and his lap Dawg hangs off too when folded so he told me the other day when he was in town that he just slid the rubber pads inward, took a hack saw to the ends, beveled the new edges smooth and touched it up with black paint and no problemo. Not an elegant solution I know but it's an aftermarket device engineered around a pre-existing platform with minor variables from model to model. I ran into another guy with a custom flight case for an SG12 and that case accommodated the extra Lap Dawg length no problem just by notching out a bit of foam. If you have any other questions, like exact measurements or whatever, feel free to ask. Here or by private message.
-MIke Johnstone-

Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have used the dawg on both an Alto stick and a SG12. There were no issues

Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Captain Strings wrote:
As the inventor of that gadget, I've put them on every model Stick that exists. As I recall, on the short scale Alto/SG12, the folded arms extend past the end of the body about an inch on the right arm and about an inch and a half on the left arm.

Thank you, Mike!
I have an SE soft case for my Alto, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Captain Strings wrote:
They''re 6061 aluminum and so can pretty easily be trimmed down till they're not a problem.

Actually I use a home made wooden bar which is about 2,5cm shorter than the Lap Dawg on each side. Probably I will trim down the bar ends a little bit.

Captain Strings wrote:
Bob Culbertson has a custom one-of-a-kind Tenor Stick that's halfway between a full size Stick and an Alto scale and his lap Dawg hangs off too when folded ...

I know Bob's medium size Stick, and he told me how it was made by Emmett, and about a year ago I asked SE if it would be possible to order one like Bob's one.
If I remember correctly, Bob does not have a belt hook on this Stick either, and the Lap Dawg is not attached in a conventional way.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:45 am