It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

Recording Interface suggestions for video 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Recording Interface suggestions for video
I’m just about ready to risk putting myself on video. Thus far I’ve used the camera and mic of an ipad, but the sound quality leaves much to be desired. I am using an HX Stomp into a pair of SR Jam amps (one a bass amp.), and sometimes an Aeros Looper and BeatBuddy. I gather I need some kind of audio interface, but lack any knowledge in this domain. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Harry

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Recording Interface suggestions for video
I'm running a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) on my laptop (Reaper). I have had a couple of interfaces. My first was a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, but am now running through a small mixer that incorporates a USB interface. You can see the level blinking on the mixer at the left of the video below.

What I do is record the video and audio both on my phone, but while recording the video, I'm also recording the instrument, through the interface into the DAW on the laptop. I'm running the output from my amp modeler (a Headrush Gigboard, similar to your HX Stomp) into the interface. In the example below, I made a backing track that stripped out the bass part and included a click track count-in, and was listening to this while recording.

I then took the backing track with the audio track that I'd just recorded and rendered the mix out to an .MP3 file.

Next, I load the video from the phone (with the phone's audio track) into some video editing software (I use the fairly cheap Sony Vegas Studio), then load in the .MP3 track I rendered from Reaper. I use the audio track from the phone to synchronize my recorded performance to the video, delete the audio track that came from the phone, and then render the result into a suitable video file (I believe this was rendered as an MP4).

Obviously, if you don't have to work with a "backing track" it is a bit simpler, but even this process took me a total of maybe a half-hour to record, edit and render.

BTW, please excuse the timing at the start. It took me a couple of measures to settle down.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

popstuart wrote:
I’m just about ready to risk putting myself on video. Thus far I’ve used the camera and mic of an ipad, but the sound quality leaves much to be desired. I am using an HX Stomp into a pair of SR Jam amps (one a bass amp.), and sometimes an Aeros Looper and BeatBuddy. I gather I need some kind of audio interface, but lack any knowledge in this domain. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Harry
The main question I would ask is, "are you planning on mixing the audio after the fact or do you want to make a stereo mix that you can just record while you're recording the video? If it is the latter, then you can just use any small mixer that has a USB output and run that into an adapter for USB to lightning or USB C.

You should be able to set your iPad's audio input to receive the signal coming in through the adapter, it will then be synchronized with the camera, and you will also be able to power the iPad with the connection I imagine.

Hoping this is all true...

Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thank you Steve and Greg.

I’m not after any post production to speak of, and Greg’s solution offers the simplicity I need to improve the audio.

I appreciate it, gents.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

popstuart wrote:
I’m not after any post production to speak of, and Greg’s solution offers the simplicity I need to improve the audio.

Here are a couple of products that might help with that, Harry. I was looking for some way to connect my instrument into an iOS device (I have a thread on this going on elsewhere on this board), and these were overkill for what I needed, but just might do the trick for you:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigHD2--ik-multimedia-irig-hd-2-guitar-interface-for-iphone-ipad-mac-and-pc

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRig2--ik-multimedia-irig-2-guitar-interface-for-ios-and-mac

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:12 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

This is actually a really good question, and one which I have absolutely no idea about, as my level of sophistication when it comes to video is a Tascam DA-30 patched into my Panasonic VHS S HD machine via SIMPTE timecode !!

Try not to laugh too hard.....

But seriously I wish there was an easy way to pull off what the original poster is after, that I could actually understand, which coming from a totally analog world, this seems less plausible/possible as time goes on, not too mention I'd be too embarrassed to post any of my work here :( :( :(

*But I am going to watch this thread to see what other suggestions come up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

As you can see, George, there are easy ways to do this, as well as more complicated methods that bring in some additional benefits.

The OP was starting with a single device (an iPad), seemed to be ok with the video quality but wanted to improve the sound.

I’m very limited in my capabilities, but I can ask where you’re starting (what equipment are you using now) and what are you looking to change/improve?

Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:18 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Ha !!

Steve, the equipment I use now is the same equipment I've had for many many years, and before you ask - none of it is computer based or friendly for that matter.

Actually, that would be a lie, as I believe some of my digital tape machines are somewhat computer based and in my mixdown room I have an old school Roland Digital Workstation, which I have yet to figure out.

I also very briefly had a myspace music page up, and I seem to think I was using a Sony MiniDisc machine patched into a real good stereo tube preamp that went into an Alienware Desktop that ran Ubuntu Lynx, but that was back around 2010.

I never got into the idea of posting videos on line, hence why I never got into the technology required to do so.

In fact, just to show how backwards I am with my thinking, I have an original Nagra 1 track machine which syncs to a film camera via a "pilot" and boy, would I love to find a camera that would sync to it.

Same thing with my Tascam 133 3 track tape machine, where the 3rd track is used to trigger a slide projector, I'd love to find a slide projector that is meant to be used with the 133 for art shows.

But seriously, I've gone way off the rails here.

I'll just see how other's are responding to the original posters question, and then draw up my own conclusions.

cheers !!!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:40 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have been considering mixer or interface. And am wondering about these 2:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... th-effects

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... martphones

Anyone have eperience with either of these?

Thanks,
Harry

Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

popstuart wrote:
I have been considering mixer or interface. And am wondering about these 2:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... th-effects

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... martphones

Anyone have eperience with either of these?

Thanks,
Harry
You will probably want more channels eventually than the 2nd one will give you.

This looks promising..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

You do not need a USB adapter, and depending on what kind of connector your iOS device has, you may already have the necessary cable to connect it to that. When using that cable, your evice will power the mixer, which might drain the battery on the device fairly quickly.

Last edited by greg on Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery