It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 pm

Revisiting the StroboClip 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Revisiting the StroboClip
There was a thread on this six years ago:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StroboClipHD--peterson-stroboclip-hd-clip-on-strobetuner-high-definition

At that time only one person gave it a really good review, one indicated his broke, and another said it was no better than a Snark. Others were using something else.

Thought it might be time to see if there are more folks that have tried this and have thoughts on whether it’s worth the price.

Thanks.

PS - I know that @MichNS uses this tuner and apparently likes it as he was the person that brought it to my attention.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Revisiting the StroboClip
Oops! Didn’t recheck the thread, but I have the Stroboflip pedal - a flip top tuner in pedal form, not clip. I also have Peterson’s iPhone app. They make great products. I might get that clip on version though, I recently broke a Snark. Love the way the Snarks work but they are prone to eating batteries. You have me curious about this Peterson clip on.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The Snark is ok, but sometimes seems to have trouble locking onto the fundamental, and sometimes doesn’t pick it up at all. I do find that on a Stick it seems to work better if I clip it at the bottom, below the bridge, than up on the headstock. Trying to decide if the StroboClip will be any better, particularly for adjusting intonation.

Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I love the Snark for guitar. For Stick I've clipped it on my pickup and it seems to work fairly well (much better than on the headstock). Honestly though I would never use a clip-on for intonation adjustments. I have an old Peterson virtual strobe tuner that is way more accurate than any clip-on I've used and since I have it, it's still my go-to tuner. I'd be curious to see if the Peterson clip-on is measurably better than the Snark.

Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
For Stick I've clipped it on my pickup and it seems to work fairly well (much better than on the headstock).

And, aside from anything else, so much easier to see down there!

I very quickly came to that conclusion this morning while doing my first ever Stick tuning. :)

That was just with a 'cheap & cheerful' clip-on that could only find the low bass string if I fretted at 12, a problem I gather the StroboClip doesn't have?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
Honestly though I would never use a clip-on for intonation adjustments

Not surprised. I've used tuner pedals, the tuner built into my amp modeler, clip-ons, and never felt that I was using something up to the task.

A while back I was asking for advice on how to connect my instruments to the iOS tuner app I have (InsTuner) hoping that might work better for intonation. The only thing I found that should do the job to allow me to plug my instruments into my phone to use the app was this little iRig2 interface.

But that (after including the dongle to convert to a lightning connector) is close to $50, and I was thinking that maybe it would be better to pay the extra $20 and get the StroboClip. But you're suggesting that no matter how good the StroboClip is, it likely still wouldn't be good enough to adjust intonation.

I really hate continuing to throw money at problems like this! :D

Peterson makes a clip that is designed to plug into an iOS or Android device to provide input to a tuner app like the one I have, but while that seems better than trying to use the device's mic, I'm sure it's not as reliable/accurate/effective as a direct connection from the pups.

Last edited by SteveS on Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
That was just with a 'cheap & cheerful' clip-on that could only find the low bass string if I fretted at 12, a problem I gather the StroboClip doesn't have?

According to the reviews, a lot of guys are using the StroboClip successfully with 5-string basses, so it's capturing that low "B" which I think is a half-step lower than the Stick's low "C". It shouldn't have any problem with a Stick's bass strings.

FWIW my Snark (an older model, not the newer ST-8 "Super Tight", "Silver Snark" or "Snark One" models), while it takes a moment to pick it up, it seems to have no problem with the low "D" on the 6th string.

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I posted how I just got my iPhone / Peterson App hooked up to my Stick in your other thread. Stereo in too. Absolutely flawless plugged in. Works better than the Stroboflip and I compared the tunings, exact match. The display on the iPhone is much better.

My wife will be getting another bag of candy from Sweetwater, I just ordered the Peterson clip on tuner and the case they offer for it. Less chance of damaging it.

This insane weather we have in Michigan has made tuning instruments a PITA this past week. Gotta try this clip on for quick convenience.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Received the StroboClip HD today. Works best off the bridge. Finding that off the pickup or headstock requires plucking strings 1&2. The Snark does a better job of picking up the vibration of the Stick, but the Peterson is more accurate, does not give any erratic readings, if it can't pick up a vibration, it goes blank. Also has a battery meter. Haven't tried it n my guitars or basses yet, but I'm thinking it will work fine.

The Peterson will work great for me for live performances, comes with a case and the battery display is a must. If you are used to the Snark and it works for you, you might be underwhelmed by the Peterson. But keep in mind once you find the spot the Peterson will pick up, it is far more accurate than a Snark.

If you don't have a good tuner for setups, get one of the higher end Peterson units that you can plug into. Similarly, the clip on attachment from my strobo flip I do not believe I ever got it to work on any instrument, but I never needed to use it. From my experiences the one drawback with Peterson is clip on attachments. Your results may vary,

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
I would never use a clip-on for intonation adjustments

I've been playing with the Peterson iOS app now that I have a good signal path from the Stick to the app (using the Peterson dongle and a lightning-to-TRRS adapter cable). I'm really impressed with the apparent accuracy of this setup (and note that you set the intonation really well on that rosewood 10-string!!)

Do you think this app might be suitable for setting intonation? I have to say it's a huge improvement over anything I've used to-date, so I can't see how using it will make my setups any worse!! :lol:

Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:36 am