It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 pm

Recording from Audio Interface 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Recording from Audio Interface
I can set up Audacity so that it can record anything that goes OUT from my computer through the audio interface (a 2-in/2-out Behringer monitor controller).

I figured I could do the same with Reaper but so far, no luck. Now, I could record via Audacity, then export the track and re-import into Reaper, but since I can make this magic work with Audacity, it would seem that, theoretically, at least, I should be able to work this trick in Reaper too.

FWIW this is the Audacity configuration that allows me to capture the audio interface output. I can set the audio device options similarly in Reaper (WASAPI/Behringer interface) but I get no input on an armed track.

Attachment:
Audacity Settings.png

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Post Re: Recording from Audio Interface
Hello Steve,

I booted up Audacity on my end, and recording worked for each of the available drivers (MME, DirectSound, WASAPI).

One root cause that comes to my mind is a mismatch of the Audacity Project Rate, or sample rate. Unless the audio interfaces sample rate matches the project rate listed within Audacity, then I would get no signal.

Hope this can be of assistance!

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Silhouette wrote:
I booted up Audacity on my end, and recording worked for each of the available drivers (MME, DirectSound, WASAPI).

One root cause that comes to my mind is a mismatch of the Audacity Project Rate, or sample rate. Unless the audio interfaces sample rate matches the project rate listed within Audacity, then I would get no signal.

Hope this can be of assistance!

Thanks for verifying that - Audacity is working for me as well. It’s Reaper that I can’t get to record what’s going out through the interface. The success we’re both having with Audacity shows it can be done, so it feels like it’s gotta be “user error.”

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:40 pm

I apologize for that; lost focus on your actual subject matter.

I don't have experience with Reaper, but could you take a screenshot of Reapers Audio Device Preferences? It may help to get a better understanding of what is amiss.

Is the input of Reaper set to your Behringer audio interface? You're able to import and hear recorded files within Reaper, so your output is configured properly.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Silhouette wrote:
Is the input of Reaper set to your Behringer audio interface? You're able to import and hear recorded files within Reaper, so your output is configured properly.

And the input works fine with an instrument or mic plugged into the audio interface, it just won't work with a signal originating on the PC. Almost like it wants some kind of loop-back, but since Audacity is working ok without a hardware change, it seems it shouldn't be necessary.

I'm not going to pursue this any further unless someone pops in here and says something like "Oh! I had this problem - just make this change..." :lol:

I'm just being lazy and trying to avoid the additional steps in recording the output from the PC through Audacity, rendering it as an audio file, then importing that as a separate track into Reaper. First-world problems! :)

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:04 pm