It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

Overdrive pedals for bass side of the Stick? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Overdrive pedals for bass side of the Stick?
Hello!

Do you guys have any experience with some overdrive pedals for the bass side of the Stick?

I'd like to experiment a bit with some overdriven sounds on the bass strings, but don't have any ideas about what to try...

I just plugged a Boss ODB3. It's pretty convincing on the lowest strings, but the sound become synthetic when you play on the top bass strings. It's a shame because this pedal has some nice controls, like a mix between wet and dry sounds, to keep the low presence and attack of the bass.

So, what do you advise me to try? I've seen some interesting pedals, like the Xotic BB preamp for bass, or the EBS Multidrive, but I'm a bit worried about how these ones sound on the bass top strings. Any experience?

Thanks

Bruno

PS : another request is that this pedal MUST be a little one, not a huge "block", my PB is already too crowded! ;)

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Overdrive pedals for bass side of the Stick?
I have had luck With the Pigtronix Disnortion Fuzz/Overdrive Pedal. It has Both Fuzz and OD wired in parallel and six filter settings for the Fuzz, one of which is specifically made just for Bass. Paired up with the The Pigtronix Phaser/Envelope follower is really nice and funky sounding even with the distortion cranked up. The pedals footprint is fairly small as well.

*Njoy

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey.

Re: the bass side of the stick question. I'm a bass player, but I'm starting to do some research toward the Stick, since I'm looking to move to it here soon. In any case, I use the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI for my distortion/OD, and a Guitar Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi for my fuzz box. The EHX comes through VERY well on the top strings (I play a 5 and 6), and it takes out just enough of the low end from the lower strings to keep the sound from just sounding terribly muddy and such.

I had an ODB-3 for about 3 months before I bought my SansAmp, and I like it a lot, but it's kind of hard to dial in. Keep fiddling with it though, once you find what you want then you'll know it, the problem is that it can take a while to figure out where you need it to be.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I used to have an MXR Bass D.I.+ pedal that sounded great with the bass side. I liked the noise gate and the ability to blend the overdrive with the clean sound.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

On one of the guitar effects websites, they reccommend that you put an eq directly in front of or directly behind all distortions/overdrives. I tried it and really liked it. I used a loop pedal so I could bypass them both when I didn't want the distortion.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery