It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

Wall Rack Redux 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Wall Rack Redux
AnDroiD wrote:
I lean my Stick on a pool noodle w/ a slit in the back to go over the edge of my table that I have my mixer on. And a small divot for the back of the Stick. Pool noodles are a buck apiece @ 5 Below. I use them for everything. Except in the pool.

The same type of foam is used for pipe insulation and it comes pre-slit. Super handy stuff!!

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:17 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
I lean my Stick on a pool noodle w/ a slit in the back to go over the edge of my table that I have my mixer on. And a small divot for the back of the Stick. Pool noodles are a buck apiece @ 5 Below. I use them for everything. Except in the pool.

That's a good idea. I'm clumsy enough that I'd be concerned about the Stick sliding sideways onto the floor, so that "divot" is important! Some carefully cut "scallops" in the front edge would minimize that possibility. Thinking about this led to this idea - your noodle, a little carving with a sharp knife and some 1x3 lumber. You can make it as wide or as narrow as necessary depending on how many sticks you have to accommodate. Note that this design assumes you slip the belt hook over the bottom "rail", so this would either need to be wall-mounted or have something else to lift the bottom sufficiently clear of the floor to allow room for the butt end of the Sticks to extend below that hook rail.

Attachment:
Multiple Stick Rack.png

For leaning my stick against a table-edge, I cobbled these out of a D'Addario bespoke table-edge support for guitars. Removed the "hook" that came on it and epoxied a hunk of plywood and a bit of suede.

Attachment:
Edge Rest 1.JPG

Attachment:
Edge Rest 2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:27 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Viewed all the photos ,excellent job and neatly hug.

Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

SteveS wrote:
That's a good idea. I'm clumsy enough that I'd be concerned about the Stick sliding sideways onto the floor, so that "divot" is important! Some carefully cut "scallops" in the front edge would minimize that possibility. Thinking about this led to this idea - your noodle, a little carving with a sharp knife and some 1x3 lumber. You can make it as wide or as narrow as necessary depending on how many sticks you have to accommodate. Note that this design assumes you slip the belt hook over the bottom "rail", so this would either need to be wall-mounted or have something else to lift the bottom sufficiently clear of the floor to allow room for the butt end of the Sticks to extend below that hook rail.

Attachment:
Multiple Stick Rack.png

Now that's something I could definitely see a need for (at least for me). Greg has something similar except what he has is only the bottom and it sits against the wall. Instead of the belt hook, there's a lip to keep the Stick from sliding forward and there is a notch in the bottom piece where the bottom edge of the Stick sits. So it could conceivably move from side to side but not forward or backward. The Sticks then lean against the wall. I like the way his bottom is done but I'd like to see that combined with the top of what you picture here.

Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
The Sticks then lean against the wall. I like the way his bottom is done but I'd like to see that combined with the top of what you picture here.

Sure. Could easily be done. Definitely more than one way to skin a cat. Personally I’d be inclined to fabricate little “cups” to hold the heel of the Stick, but I do have some OCD tendencies, so take that into account ! :lol:

Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
gpoorman wrote:
Personally I’d be inclined to fabricate little “cups” to hold the heel of the Stick

The SE supplied Stick stand that the previous owner bundled with my bamboo Stick has a felt lined recess for the end of the Stick.

After a week or two I added a line of contrasting tape around the edge of the recess to make it easier to locate when putting the Stick away.

However that stand doesn't get used much now as my bamboo mainly stays attached to its stand.

Just today its moved, but I'll post about that elsewhere rather than divert your topic.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:38 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

SteveS wrote:
gpoorman wrote:
The Sticks then lean against the wall. I like the way his bottom is done but I'd like to see that combined with the top of what you picture here.

Sure. Could easily be done. Definitely more than one way to skin a cat. Personally I’d be inclined to fabricate little “cups” to hold the heel of the Stick, but I do have some OCD tendencies, so take that into account ! :lol:

Maybe. But the notch works and he has it lined with some felt so there's not really any movement at all from side to side. As far as the top part goes, the height would have to be such that it would work for any length Stick including an Alto or an SG12.

Hmmmm. We might have to talk. I'm not a wood worker so if I did it, it would almost certainly look like something somebody's six year old kid tried to make :D

Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
Hmmmm. We might have to talk. I'm not a wood worker so if I did it, it would almost certainly look like something somebody's six year old kid tried to make :D

Ah, you mean like the things I do under the excuse of "It's a prototype". LOL!

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:

:D

Something to think about. Make that rack for a single instrument, then "gang" them together to accommodate as many as you need.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 5.39.05 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:59 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

SteveS wrote:
Something to think about. Make that rack for a single instrument, then "gang" them together to accommodate as many as you need.

Yeah. That's a great idea actually. But I'd prefer just a single rack that holds four instruments. I'm trying to decide how I feel about the foam too. Part of me isn't crazy about it but part of me thinks there might not be a better solution.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery