It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 am

GK pickup users...question 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post GK pickup users...question
DO you actually use the controls etc on the module?
Or do you just pipe the 13 pin to whatever and do the control outboard?

ie Are the controls useful for a stick GK format pickup?

Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:21 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: GK pickup users...question
I have four GK3 pickups. The latest is on my Railboard.
Control can be done from the GK3 module or the GR-55.
I typically control from the GR-55.

This video is what got me interested in this technology.

I bought the wireless Fishman TriplePlay for the same reason.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:43 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

yeah I'm from the 24 pin days - so figured that might skew my perspective

the past
I think the onboards were more importantin the 24 pin day (for that matter, the hex fuzz on the GR-300 was actually in the guitar, so you really needed the guitar to get that second set of, basically, pseudo-oscillators )
I regret getting rid of my 300

and for the GR-700/GK-1 format well, finding the PG-200 was difficult and expensive.
and the 2* continuous controllers on that brick of a control module*made sense back then (performance time, they were typically routed to filter cutoff and resonance), but I think that day may have passed. Or at lest isn't as essential
I do NOT regret getting rid of my 700

in the current era
I have a GK2A on my stick, but I never actually use the onboard controls and the "dry guitar" routing seems particularly useless for stick.
I think the only time I've used the controls is to troubleshoot (the controls actually got in the way, GK vol turned down, etc)
but Y'alls mileage may vary...or maybe not

the future?
and there is the GK-5 now, and it looks like they eliminated all controls off the module...so I was wondering if that's where GK pickups are going and if the use-model has changed- and for stick, I can see the trimness as having some mounting advantages

*the 24 pin actually had assignments for 4 - I think CV3 was never implemented tho,m at least not on roland or ibanez. Guess that was for 'fasture growth'

Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:43 am
Contributor
Contributor

Not only do I not use the GK pickup controls, I connect the GK pickup to a device called the Roland GKP-4 because it has switches on it that disable the GK pickup controls.

The GKP-4 is a 1 input to 4 output splitter which allows me to use multiple guitar synths. It just has the added bonus of being able to disable the GK controls.

This way if the GK3 controls get accidentally bumped it won't unexpectedly change presets or volume. I use a fair bit of technology in my rig so I like to have safety measures built in.

Kevin

Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The Roland GKP-4 has been discontinued, but for anyone wanting something similar, here is a link to a clone version, including schematics for the DIY people. https://www.joness.com/gr300/quadboard.htm
kevink wrote:
Not only do I not use the GK pickup controls, I connect the GK pickup to a device called the Roland GKP-4 because it has switches on it that disable the GK pickup controls.

The GKP-4 is a 1 input to 4 output splitter which allows me to use multiple guitar synths. It just has the added bonus of being able to disable the GK controls.

This way if the GK3 controls get accidentally bumped it won't unexpectedly change presets or volume. I use a fair bit of technology in my rig so I like to have safety measures built in.

Kevin

Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am
Contributor
Contributor

with GK3 which interface have you choise to play?
thanks

Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use the GR-55 and VG-99. I also have a Helix Floor and Kemper Stage that can be combined. The following video shows a guy using a Helix and VG-99 together. The FC-300 Midi control pedal can be use to configure all of these units to work in harmony.
gabrystick wrote:
with GK3 which interface have you choise to play?
thanks

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

"interface" can kind of be a bit of a misnomer I suppose b/c the roland hex pickups aren't really "MIDI" (suggesting an interface) they are just hexaphonic

a lot of things that interface with them aren't MIDI based.
the VG (aka "virtual guitar") series VG-8/8S/88 didn't have MIDI conversion at all -- it was all processing not synth triggering
the VG-99 can do both
the Twin pedals don't to midi
nor does the spicetone 6 appeal for example
or the Antares ATG-1

I bring it up b/c I think it's easy to sort of pigeon hole the tech as synth triggering, but there are other options

Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:06 pm
Contributor
Contributor

i'm looking a pedal board for GK3 easy to setup for the long scale of chapman stick... i bought a BOSS GP10 some time ago but I had a lot of problems in the initial setup.. so i sell it

Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

To properly setup the GR-55 with the Chapman Stick, I had to set it to BASS mode. The calibration on the Guitar mode would not allow for the scale length of the Chapman Stick. In doing this, I lost most of the GR-55's internal modeling features as they were intended for guitar and were not available in BASS mode. However, the tracking calibration was now very accurate.

I route the GR-55 signal to my computer with the Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate software and that solved the modeling problem. I use the same software for my Roli Seaboard Rise 49.

I've purchased other add-on modules such as Spectrasonics Trilian Total Bass Module and Steven Slate Drums. If you are looking for something easy to set up, then this is not for you. All of this gear takes time to set up and program but it's really worth it in the end.

I really like the Heavyocity Damage Module with the Roli SeaBoard. I've purchased the iZotope Mix and Master bundle. I like using the Ozone software the most. I've upgraded my Celemony Melodyne software to the latest full version.

All of this software cost as much as a Chapman Stick but the sonic capabilities make it all worthwhile and the same software is being used for multiple instruments. I've never intended to play for an audience. My primary purpose is to create sound tracks for my cinematic film hobby.

https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/mix-mas ... e-ozone11/
https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne
https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/ ... /index.php
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone.html
https://stevenslatedrums.com/
gabrystick wrote:
i'm looking a pedal board for GK3 easy to setup for the long scale of chapman stick... i bought a BOSS GP10 some time ago but I had a lot of problems in the initial setup.. so i sell it

Last edited by WerkSpace on Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 am