It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:02 pm

GK pickup users...question 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: GK pickup users...question
So GR-55 work only like a interface... you cannot use the internal sound.. right?

Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You can use the internal sounds on the BASS mode side but there aren't as many patch options as the Guitar side. The Guitar side has patch options like piano, saxophone, flute, harp, trumpet section, etc. Many of the really good patch effects are not available on the Bass side, but as an interface you can get as many instrument effects as you want. If you download the GR-55 manual and go to the appendix, you will see the patch lists for both the Guitar side and BASS side. https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GR-55_OM.pdf
gabrystick wrote:
So GR-55 work only like a interface... you cannot use the internal sound.. right?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:51 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
You can use the internal sounds on the BASS mode side but there aren't as many patch options as the Guitar side. The Guitar side has patch options like piano, saxophone, flute, harp, trumpet section, etc. Many of the really good patch effects are not available on the Bass side, but as an interface you can get as many instrument effects as you want. If you download the GR-55 manual and go to the appendix, you will see the patch lists for both the Guitar side and BASS side. https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GR-55_OM.pdf
gabrystick wrote:

By definition, Bass has less Patches and fewer/different types of modeling instruments, but I cannot entirely agree that its possibilities are significantly smaller. The number and type of PCM tones from which you build the Bass patch are the same as in the Guitar version. There is nothing stopping you from playing the Guitar Patch on Bass (without modeling). The manufacturer only prepared fewer of them for bassists. However, the ability to create synth sounds is similar. In theory. In practice, for example, Synth Fretless on Guitar will never sound as good as the same PCM tones on Bass. Other sounds will play better on Guitar. At past I used to use two GR55s. One for each side.

The scale is a real problem. I wouldn't demonize her though. There are many other elements that make it difficult to properly set up Stick with GR. One extra is no problem. Sometimes it's worth a bit of effort to be able to use full guitar modeling.

10-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched Padouk Stick #351 with XXL GK & Stickup
12-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual GK & Custom Pickups
10-String 5↓4↑ Internally A Matched Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with GK & Stickup

Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I understand what you are saying. I'll give it a try.
The Stick scale calibration works properly in BASS mode.

It never occurred to me to try importing saved Guitar patches
into BASS mode. It should work as you have described.
My Railboard GK pickup is on the Melody side,
so BASS patches don't interest me.

I've downloaded the GR-55 PCM tone list.
910 individual tone models to choose from.
I'm hoping that these are all available
in both Guitar and BASS mode.
mahabresq wrote:
By definition, Bass has less Patches and fewer/different types of modeling instruments, but I cannot entirely agree that its possibilities are significantly smaller. The number and type of PCM tones from which you build the Bass patch are the same as in the Guitar version. There is nothing stopping you from playing the Guitar Patch on Bass (without modeling). The manufacturer only prepared fewer of them for bassists. However, the ability to create synth sounds is similar. In theory. In practice, for example, Synth Fretless on Guitar will never sound as good as the same PCM tones on Bass. Other sounds will play better on Guitar. At past I used to use two GR55s. One for each side.

The scale is a real problem. I wouldn't demonize her though. There are many other elements that make it difficult to properly set up Stick with GR. One extra is no problem. Sometimes it's worth a bit of effort to be able to use full guitar modeling.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:31 pm
Contributor
Contributor

so, if a buy GR 55, the correct setup is to set bass mode and that give the change to use the guitar patchs. Right?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

In order to calibrate the Stick scale length, you need to be in BASS mode. Guitar mode is limited in scale length, so the Stick will not track accurately in this mode.

As for the guitar patches, I haven't tested that yet. What the other poster was implying, was that you should be able to create your own patches with the internal options of the GR-55 whether in BASS mode or Guitar mode. I haven't tried this yet either.

I'm busy at the moment building a custom torsion box to use as a stable platform for my OneFinity CNC wood carving machine. I should be able to make my own Sticks with this machine. https://www.onefinitycnc.com/
gabrystick wrote:
so, if a buy GR 55, the correct setup is to set bass mode and that give the change to use the guitar patchs. Right?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am
Contributor
Contributor

WOW!! custom sticks!!!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:35 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

gabrystick wrote:
WOW!! custom sticks!!!

I will only be making a few Sticks for my own personal use.
My main focus is on other products such as 3D CNC art.
https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+cnc+art

I've also designed a briefcase that turns into a stand
for the Chinese cobbler sewing machines.
Millions of these machines were made without a quality stand
or storage system, so I've decided to provide a solution.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese ... ng+machine

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 pm