Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Tue May 26, 2009 4:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Solar Powered PJB Briefcase Amp
If you read the specs they are not that good:
- 1 hour on battery
- the battery is optional so I don't know how much does it adds to the price or weight
- 10 hours in the sun to charge the battery (which will last for an hour)

Daniel.

Tue May 26, 2009 6:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

This is the same
arsacane wrote:
If you read the specs they are not that good:
- 1 hour on battery
- the battery is optional so I don't know how much does it adds to the price or weight
- 10 hours in the sun to charge the battery (which will last for an hour)

Daniel.

Hi Daniel

I did read the specs, but the battery charge life on a normal non-solar Briefcase is also listed at 1 hour. It's the main reason I didn't buy one for busking a few years ago! However, I've since met a couple of people who use these amps at busking volumes (not cranked) and get 3-4 hours easily.

So, I think it's fair to assume that you don't need to charge the full 10 hours every time you want to play for a single hour at moderate volumes. Most rechargeable batteries will run just fine even if they are not charged fully. You will also (presumably) be charging as you play, particularly in places that enjoy a lot of regular sunshine. Yes, I know this is a rare phenomenon in some European countries... ;)

Anyhow, I've always been impressed by PJ's approach. How well this one works obviously remains to be seen.

Cheers,
Andy

Tue May 26, 2009 11:15 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've always loved my Briefcase, and like I've told some people, I have played on the street many times with it, and it has never died on me. The battery does add substantial weight, but compared to others, and the SOUND, it is not bad at all. I brought mine to Europe with me to play, but I was lost/stolen by someone at Air France, and thus my playing has been reduced... Anyway, that's another story.
Anybody thinking about this amp should buy it, I think, and they will love it. The Bass response, the highs, the 5-band eq, it's all great...
The thing I don't like, is that the solar panels add like $500 to the price I think... Crazy...
Take care,

Wed May 27, 2009 6:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adde65 wrote:
Yes, I know this is a rare phenomenon in some European countries... ;)

Well in Brussels it will take you a week to gather 10 hours of sun exposure... :D

Daniel

Wed May 27, 2009 6:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

JaphletBA wrote:
... was lost/stolen by someone at Air France, and thus my playing has been reduced... Anyway, that's another story.
Anybody thinking about this amp should buy it, I think, and they will love it. The Bass response, the highs, the 5-band eq, it's all great...
The thing I don't like, is that the solar panels add like $500 to the price I think... Crazy...
Take care,

Sorry to hear about your amp Japhlet (airlines again!). Hope you have some insurance cover on it?

Solar powered items tend to be overpriced until demand increases, and these amps are fairly expensive to begin with. It will be interesting to see how many of these they sell.

Cheers,
Andy

Wed May 27, 2009 4:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

doesn't sound very practical. wouldn't the heat from leaving it out in the sun damage other parts, like the covering, or the speakers themselves. Out here in AZ., the thing would be melted in 10 minutes! I don't think they will sell any of these things. Was never a fan of any music equipment that's rechargeable or battery powered. I dread the idea of depending on a battery for my sound. Example: 9 volt FX pedals.

Fri May 29, 2009 2:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jim B. wrote:
doesn't sound very practical. wouldn't the heat from leaving it out in the sun damage other parts, like the covering, or the speakers themselves. Out here in AZ., the thing would be melted in 10 minutes! I don't think they will sell any of these things. Was never a fan of any music equipment that's rechargeable or battery powered. I dread the idea of depending on a battery for my sound. Example: 9 volt FX pedals.

Hi Jim,

I've been using a Crate Taxi outdoors for the last 2 1/2 years and it hasn't melted on me yet. Normally I get a full day on a charge - the current draw on a correctly matched SLA battery is much kinder than in 9V stomp boxes. Really hot weather does shorten the battery charge slightly, and we often get days in the 90's-100's over here.

I also use Zoom G2s running on rechargeable batteries; in fact, I'm playing a wedding in the country today without mains power.

Cheers,
Andy

Fri May 29, 2009 4:34 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that in the most recent Bass Player, and I wish I could say it looks good. I've always wanted a PJB, and solar power is fantastic, but that 10:1 ratio is just awful.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:18 am