It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Slow Gear/Frettless 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Slow Gear/Frettless
CurtisAbbott wrote:
Could someone give an example of this sounds you are speaking of?

Any excuse...
here's a guitar tune wot I did featuring my BYOC self-build Slow Gear...it's on almost all of the parts: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5707475

The multi-fx versions of SlowGear are a little more 'capable' (longer, smoother swells)...my favourite so far was the one on the GT-6.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:17 am
Contributor
Contributor

Curtis, (and everyone else) the effect is called "Auto Swell" on the X3 and I'm finding out, it's an effect you have to work with on your attack. If you tap hard, it doesn't work. You have to sort of "sneak" up on the note, not hit it too hard, just "feel" into it. And you can't hurry the notes. Probably why I'm having a hard time withit. On the note, off the note, feeling the phrase. So...it's probably a good effect thatjust wasn't designed to be "off the shelf" easy to use w/ the Stick. And I think I'm answering my own questions here. "Technique"="Practice". (!)

Marty

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The slow gear effect on the Boss SE-70s works quite well without having to worry too much about playing too hard or only playing clean notes, once the sensitivity is set correctly I hardly have to think about it (on the other hand when I had a VF-1 I couldn't get it to work at all). As an example you can hear the synth-like quality it in the beginning of Conscious Stream (and a similar effect using Guitar Rig on Noodle Soup). It's actually the main reason I decided not to get a MIDI pickup this time around, since I realized I could do synth pad type sounds using slow gear and a variety of other effects to "thicken" up the sound.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys for the great examples. Today I picked up a Pod X3 (again) I'll probably keep it this time and use it as an effect educational tool for one initial lump sum, kind of like tuition for effects 101 so to speak.

Rob, just today I was on the phone with Ed from Glasgow, Scotland, who is a new Stickist with 30 years of bass experience and we had the commonality of falling initially in love with the Stick during our first play of 'One Cloud' via YouTube. He bought my PurpleHeart stick from me and I had commented to him on your tasteful mastery of effects use.

Though I just bought this Pod X3, I will try to stay principally focused on the simple learning of this instrument.

I am staying tuned,

Curtis

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:38 pm