It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

Stick Wall Mount 
Post Stick Wall Mount
Gang,

So I always wanted to mount my Stick on the wall so it would be easy to grab and play, but not so easy to accidentally kick over / have the cat start to use as a scratching post, etc. I found really neat guitar/bass wall mounts for my acoustic and bass at various stores & on-line places, but obviously nothing for the Stick.

So last weekend, when holding a standard floor mount aluminum guitar stand, (which I used to keep my Stick on when I had all my axes standing on the floor) - my friend said "Just cut off the legs (tripod) and screw it onto the wall."

I did and it works great. $15 at guitar center, a hacksaw, and $2.59 worth of clamps, screws and it's done. It has a rubber strap-dealy on top so I can snug the top of the Stick against the U-rest and it won't budge. Very stable, and as long as you screw into a stud (I know that sounds kinda funny) or use some really decent anchor bolts (which I did), it works great and it's very minimalist.

I just posted some picks in the Users Gallery.

A very cheap, easy to make solution that took all of 5 minutes to complete.

Randy

Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Stick Wall Mount
Awesome idea.

-Curtis

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:09 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sounds nice (not looked at the pix yet) but won't it collect dust? My house has 6 people in and there is always a lot of dust about if things don't move for a day or two.

I quite like the 'open case and stare at thing of beauty' moment with musical instruments. Maybe I'm just a little weird.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:28 am
Contributor
Contributor

I checked out the pics with a thought toward duplication. Hmm... does it fall off potentially if you bump the bottom bracket that is seemingly supporting it's weight?

-Curtis

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 am
CurtisAbbott wrote:
I checked out the pics with a thought toward duplication. Hmm... does it fall off potentially if you bump the bottom bracket that is seemingly supporting it's weight?

-Curtis

I guess it could - it's not fool proof. Probably not the best thing if you have kids, though in that case I would think the only safe place for a Stick would be in a case.

I do have that rubber strap part on the top really snug against the fretboard, and it doesn't seem to allow any movement. I think that if the bottom holder got bumped, the rubber strap has enough tension on it to hold it in place so you could grab it.

It seems to be able to support the entire weight of the Stick (albeit temporarily)

Twizzle - in my house (w/3 cats) everything collects dust - even my duster!

I did this because:
1) I was tired of having my large flight case sitting around
2) I really like being able to grab it, play a few licks for 15-20 minutes, then put it up
3) Keep it relatively free from any traffic/drunken friends accidentally kicking it/etc

Randy

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:32 am
Contributor
Contributor

Cool, so there is a back-up system on the neck. With five kids and lots of flyer objects, I must think of these things in advance or suffer the consequences.

The other day we had a chili party open house thing. Now granted we have multiple friends with 5-12 children but at the little gathering we had over 50 kids show up and had 40 at one time for a considerable length. It is probably a good thing the family with 12 could make it because we were packed.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I had a couple of those String Swing things for hanging guitars around, so i took one and just bent out the hooks until it was wide enough to hold the Stick. It's been secure on my wall with no issues, even with an occasional light bump. And I have 5 cats!! =)

Kris

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:37 am

Kris said: "I had a couple of those String Swing things for hanging guitars around, so i took one and just bent out the hooks until it was wide enough to hold the Stick. It's been secure on my wall with no issues, even with an occasional light bump. And I have 5 cats!! =)"

Hey Kris, what is actually resting on the mount? The tuners? Please elaborate. Thanks! I'd love to use that kind of mount but I can't imagine how it would work.

Rob Cathcart

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Is this what you mean by "String Swing" ? I use this version, bending the wings out to fit the Stick. Very easy to hang if your wall is wood. If its drywall you need a special screw that springs open. It hangs on the tuners but I have had no problem with hitting the tuners and going out of tune. Image

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Mine doesn't hang on the tuners. It hangs on the headstock, where it starts it's flair back right behind the nut. Works great!

Kris

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:12 am