It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 pm

New StepABout demo video 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: New StepABout demo video
Derek Dallenger wrote:
Hi Greg,
so, if you split a mono signal from an active output there's no loss of signal ? And you wouldn't have to crank the volume or gain up to compensate, and there's consequently no raise in the level of noise or hiss ? Pretty darn sure there would be from my Yamahas... if not from the StepAbout then it could be that it's yet another way that this unit appears to have the edge. (Never tried it hitherto as the Stomps have stereo outputs.)
It's interesting, and something I didn't know at all, although I fully confess that there are many such things. I wonder if there's anyone out there who has both the StepAbout and such a splitter cable who could confirm it ?

...YABBADABBADOO!!! :D

Derek
Hi Derek
I don't have the kinds of cables needed (1 mono to 2 mono) but I have to say I think the effects themselves are probably creating the sound you're looking for.

One interesting little trick I've done is to set up a patch in the SE-70 that has a dry signal on one output panned left and a slightly delayed (just a few milliseconds) full-frequency signal on the right. This can create a spacail panning effect (you don't need an SE-70 if you have an effect that allows you to pan dely and dry signal separately).

Remember that by splitting the signal, you are going into two mixer channels, too. So the perceived level should be the same as a mono signal if they are hard panned.

On Stick Figures, I did some slight panning of the bass and melody signals from each other, just enough to created some separation and depth in the stereo field.

Am I making sense?

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I am thinking too hard on this, but I had been wondering about running a stereo setup with the StepABout as a result of finding a 15" Ampeg cab set out for the trash man. I replaced the input jack and had the cab fired up when I began to wonder how or what you would need to have stereo sound.

I have a two channel power amp that is currently running a 4X10 cab for both bass and melody. The signal from the StepABout travels through the effect chain and into a Tapco 50 4 channel mixer then to the power amp out to the cab. I am wondering what I would potentially need to run stereo and I feel like a dunce, but haven't come up with an solution. Sorry if this has been covered in the thread already, I read through and didn't have a clear picture of what to do. :oops:

For what it is worth, the last pedal in each chain has a stereo out; an EH Memory Man for bass and an Echolution for the melody.

Steve

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again, Greg, thanks once more for persevering with this for me !

Quote:
I don't have the kinds of cables needed (1 mono to 2 mono).

Nor me... does anyone out there ? (If so, what do they normally use them for...?) Anyone out there with a StepAbout and a mono splitter cable...?

Quote:
but I have to say I think the effects themselves are probably creating the sound you're looking for

Even when they are not switched on ? (2 channels panned wide per set of strings still sounds different to me even then... is this an hallucination ? Does nobody else out there see these leprechauns but me...?)
But I guess that if the effects weren't giving me a sound I liked that I wouldn't be using them, that must be true.

Quote:
One interesting little trick I've done is to set up a patch in the SE-70 that has a dry signal on one output panned left and a slightly delayed (just a few milliseconds) full-frequency signal on the right. This can create a spacail panning effect (you don't need an SE-70 if you have an effect that allows you to pan dely and dry signal separately).

I'm not at all sure that I do have such an effect... One thing I've noticed , however, is that if the pan is not as wide as it can go on the 2 channels I use for each set of strings, then it does create a distinctly noticeable phasing effect (or is it 'out of phase' ?) which I don't like at all.

Quote:
Remember that by splitting the signal, you are going into two mixer channels, too. So the perceived level should be the same as a mono signal if they are hard panned.

But it would differ in some way from a normal left/right stereo signal going into 2 channels, right ? ( I have no idea what actually constitutes 'true' stereo, in fact... perhaps I am confounding it with 'double mono' ? Maybe some hard-core techie can set me straight on all this. I wonder if a mono signal split into two would sound 'out of phase' if put through a stereo in/stereo out effect? )

Quote:
On Stick Figures, I did some slight panning of the bass and melody signals from each other, just enough to created some separation and depth in the stereo field.

Yeah, but that's the already-stereo-and-separate bass and melody signals, right ? (And I'm sure it sounds great, like you always do !) If I pan my 2 melody or 2 bass channels only slightly, I get that phasing effect which I don't like.

Quote:
Am I making sense?

I'm sure you probably are - what's in doubt is likely to prove to be my ability to comprehend sense I suspect. Actually, I'm waiting for fellow cave-dweller Brett to get back with his report on his new StepAbout and get the thread back to what it should be about... my apologies for dragging a herring across the scent of it... :oops:

Many thanks again,

Derek

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tenstrings,

You will have seen from this thread that I'm not at all technically clued up, but I'd say you just need to use two speakers to get a stereo sound. Wish I found things like Ampeg cabs in my trash...

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Actually, I'm waiting for fellow cave-dweller Brett to get back with his report on his new StepAbout and get the thread back to what it should be about...

My apologies as well for hi jacking. I did it without so much a thought, too. The thread had sort of evolved and I didn't want to make a new post of something already being discussed.

Quote:
ou will have seen from this thread that I'm not at all technically clued up, but I'd say you just need to use two speakers to get a stereo sound.

That I understand, but the stereo outputs of both delay units is out of phase so there should be some back in forth action going on am I am not getting that. The melody through the Echolution through both cabs is lush, just totally in phase with one another. I am working with it, I think Greg runs a Stereo rig, maybe he can shed some light on this one..

Quote:
Wish I found things like Ampeg cabs in my trash...

No doubt. On a whim I stopped to pick it up. The exterior will need a little work but it sounds unbelievable when used with the bass side.

Steve

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Last edited by Tenstrings on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:47 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tenstrings,

Quote:
the stereo outputs of both delay units is out of phase so there should be some back in forth action going on am I am not getting that

Guess you've tried swapping the cables around on that side ? I keep mine with colour-coded stickers on to stop me inadvertently connecting them wrong... :oops: does it change when you tweak the pan controls ? And your amp is stereo, right ?

(And I'm sure that Greg (and a lot of others )will know much more than me about this for sure, that's why I've been picking his brain on all this...)

Good luck,

Derek

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:06 pm

WOW! the StepABout sounds great!!
So if i understand you all ...this would take the place of the Rane SP-13?
Or is the benefit pick-up specific?
ex: I am using the Rane with the PASV-4

Im a bit of a dull tack when it comes to this side of things hehe.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:20 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yes ... the StepAbout is another preamp so it can take the place of the SP 13. It really all depends on the type of routing options you need and also what you think sounds better. Not to mention the rack mounted vs floor unit aspect.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery