It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 X3 Live inputs 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: X3 Live inputs
Bas has touched on great points. Many folks who get a comprehensive pedalboard like the X3 simply don't understand the product. They'll spend 1/2 hour trying to dial in a sound, get frustrated, then hop onto forums and review sections at websites and declare the board to be junk.

They aren't for everyone, though, that's for sure. If you've got it into your head and heart to get a classic Fender Bassman 50 sound, the Pod probably won't do it for you. Still, lots of good tube bass amp sounds to be had.... ;)

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:02 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'm not a purist who's looking to find a completely authentic, vintage, tube amp sound. I think it would be kind of silly to purchase a unit like the X3 and expect that. Something close will do just fine for my purposes.

It's really nice to have this forum when considering the purchase of gear, since almost all of it isn't designed with the Stick in mind and most reviews found elsewhere are from guitarists or bassists.

Cheers to you guys,
James

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:07 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
There's many people saying that the X3 (or simular products) are crap when connected to an amp, but I guess that most of 'm don't understand that it's an amp and cab simulator, so having amp and cab simulation running and connected to an amp and cab...

Basv, thanks for pointing that out. I was tempted to start a thread basically to discuss amp theory since there seem to be a lot of different approaches. From relying on the amp head a lot to get the sound to pedalboards to all-in-ones like the X3.

What I couldn't understand was that it seemed to me like if you're going to use an X3 that you should pretty much be using it to create your whole sound, but I couldn't find anyone out there saying as much.

Dumb question: Aside from the obvious like going directly into a DAW, what SHOULD you use to amplify and create sound from your instrument when you use an X3? Is this where the Roland keyboard amps make a lot of sense, since I assume they don't color the sound much?

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:05 am
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Dan,

Like most amps, the sound of the Roland key amps can be tweaked quite a bit. You can go as clean as you want , or add the onboard EQ and FX. If you like the amp chorus more than the modeled ones on the X3, you simply kill that effect on the Pod. Lots of choices.

For the last 3 years I've been running my entire rig (keys, guitar, bass) through a pair of powered JBL Eon speakers; keeping those completely clean and letting the X3 and Ableton Live form my sound. If I'm in need of more bottom end, I'll bring along my Trace Elliot bass amp - but that's actually rare. The JBLs (like the Bose) are pretty impressive. Lots of people balk at the idea of putting anything but vocals through powered PA speakers, but I'm seeing it more and more.

The Behringer keyboard amps are also an excellent lower cost option than the Rolands...

The great thing about the X3 is the ability to truly sculpt two completely different sounds for your Stick before heading into an amp. Also, watch out for keyboard amps that may have 2 channels, but only one EQ/FX chain for both channels.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:11 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Aha, yes I guess the powered speaker is more along the lines of what I was thinking when I mentioned the Roland - I was thinking just that a keyboard amp might be less designed to color the tone even though it does have a bunch of effects on it.

I doubt I need a new amp or effects pedal any time soon but I like to be prepared so if I do feel the need some day I can pull the trigger with the research already done. Thanks!

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I typically run my X3 into either a Peavey mixer and speaker, or my Behringer GMX212, or my Carvin AG100D (depending on what size the venue is.) I will run direct into the Peavey mixer direct, with everything set at the mid point on the mixer, or into the effects return inputs on the combo amps to bypass their onboard effects/amp sound. I've been using the X3 since it first came out, and I love it. I have had several problems with it however - if playing outside in sunlight, if the sunlight shines under the expression pedal (say early evening), the pedal no longer tracks correctly - if it is controlling your volume, for instance, it will go from 1 to 10 at the midpoint, back to 1 at the top. It apparently is light sensored. Easy to remedy - put something there to shared the pedal. Unfortunately, I did not know this when the unit crapped out at a wedding I was playing last year and I didn't have anything to back it up. My sound was awful that day. Secondly, the Tap Delay light quit working about two days after the warranty expired :evil: . Not a drastic problem, but kind of bodes poorly for the other switch lights, not to mention that that is disappointing for a $500 piece of equipment.

jstorm

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

If you want that BassMan tube amp sound, you gotta get one on stage and MOVE SOME AIR. If you want that sound w/out setting up in your dining room, GETa POD. They are worth the time and effort to program, and you can sing thru it too.

Peace, Marty

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I see the x3 live has midi sockets. Is this so it can be use with a midi foot pedal or will it act as a midi foot pedal? If so it could be the all in one solution!

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

As far as I know, it can accept and send program change commands, but it might just as well send and receive controller commands.
You can download the manual from the line6 site (line6.com), it should give you the answers :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:26 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the X3 Live will act as a MIDI controller but it's really not built for that. All the stomp buttons and volume/wah pedal send out CC messages, but they are fixed. You can't change what CC # is sent.

Your DAW or MIDI device can be mapped to the X3, but that's tricky because anything you touch on the device already has an onboard function that will activate/deactivate when pressed. In other words, if you want to trigger another MIDI device and hit your delay stomp button, the delay will either turn on or off, lol.

For receiving MIDI messages, it's fantastic. I've set up dummy clips in Ableton Live which, when fired off, will automate my EQ bands for some great sweep FX - or change the timing on delays - turn on/off other FX - etc.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next