It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 pm

What tuner do you use? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: What tuner do you use?
I'm currently using the TC Electronic PolyTune app for the iPhone. When I need to place a tuner into a chain, I still use my old Korg DT-2.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I agree with Eric - the iPhone app is amazing and it's great to have a tuner with you all the time. More accurate than my stand alone Korg or built-in amp tuners.

Jeff Nogee

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:03 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've had good luck with the Peterson StrobeSoft tuner app for iPhone, anyone have thoughts on how this compares to the other iPhone tuners?

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I have been reading reviews for the Peterson and think that particularly for the money that would be the best bet. I really want to buy it, but I have an iPad and wonder first if they won't make an app for it, but I also wonder how well the iPhone version will jive with the iPad. The only other software tuner I have used is for android called g strings, which doesn't do so well with the lower frequencies of the bass side.

Steve

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:43 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The iPhone app is the best electronic tuner I've ever seen....

But it can't replace the tuning fork.

The fork helps you to develop a fine sense of relative pitch, and eventually, once you have internalized that reference pitch, you don't even need the fork any more. Can any electronic tuner teach you that skill?

Similarly, chord diagram books and apps tend to dissuade people from learning essential musical skills. Simply memorizing the circle of fifths and half a dozen rules of chord construction will allow you to quickly construct any chord in any voicing....

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Last edited by mad_monk on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Certainly the ability to tune using your ears is a must. I've run across too many guitarists who are lost without an electric tuner. And I myself used to use only a tuning fork to tune my guitars or Stick when at home. Unfortunately a tuning fork is as useless as a dinner fork in a noisy club.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Tenstrings wrote:
I have been reading reviews for the Peterson and think that particularly for the money that would be the best bet. I really want to buy it, but I have an iPad and wonder first if they won't make an app for it, but I also wonder how well the iPhone version will jive with the iPad. The only other software tuner I have used is for android called g strings, which doesn't do so well with the lower frequencies of the bass side.

Steve

The iPhone version should work just fine on an iPad. Almost all iPhone apps will work on the iPad. The iPad has a built-in mic and I use the ClearTune app on my iPhone and my iPad.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
The iPhone version should work just fine on an iPad. Almost all iPhone apps will work on the iPad. The iPad has a built-in mic and I use the ClearTune app on my iPhone and my iPad.

Thanks, Eric. I have really wanted to buy a peterson for a long time, but could never justify the purchase. For 9.99 I think I would be more than pleased. I just wish I knew whether or not they were planning an app for the iPad as they usually do, though.

Steveoh

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:20 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I bought the Peterson Strobo Stomp pedal tuner, and I was surprised how exacting it was. I got it because I changed the bass side tuning on my SG12. I just wanted to tweak the intonation myself instead of shipping it to SE, so I wanted the best tuner I could get. The Peterson tuners seemed to have a great reputation, so I pulled the trigger on the Stomp model, being that I'm a pedal guy. It served me well for the intonation job, and I really like having it on my board. Expensive, but worth it IMO.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well my Boss TU-3 arrived and I have to say it is very easy to use.

I am changing from DMR to MR tuning on my 12 string Grand - hopefully this will help me to get the intonation right. :mrgreen:

Being 6000 miles from SE, I might have to rely on you guys for help if I get it wrong ..... :o :oops:

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:52 am