It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 am

Boss vs Line6 for a 6-stringer 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Boss vs Line6 for a 6-stringer
Just curious if any of you have done a side by side between the Boss GT-10 and the latest floor-based Line6 POD units for a good old fashioned 6-string electric guitar.

I've always been very fond of the Boss GT units but I've never used any of the Line6 stuff except for the DL4 delay modeler (which I liked quite a lot).

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Boss vs Line6 for a 6-stringer
Nothing to do with sound, but Line 6 have struggled with quality control (the DL-4 is a perfect example; there are a lot of "lemons" in this model) and a poor service record compared to Boss/Roland. For studio use this probably isn't an issue.

Boss doesn't get the best reviews for amp modelling among my 6-stringed friends, but the GTs clean effects are very good, and they seemingly never break down.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks Andy. I've heard similar reports too. I've always been somewhat partial to Boss effects but I think the amp models might be more important than usual ... maybe.

I'm considering re-introducing some guitar to my repertoire but I'd like to do it without having to purchase an amp. In other words, some kind of preamp/effects setup into my Stick rig which is essentially a power amp and my SWR 15" cab with the tweeter. Not sure if that's even feasible or if it would sound like crap.

I suppose I could look at some bonafide preamps with builtin FX also like some of the stuff that Rocktron makes.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

gpoorman wrote:
Thanks Andy. I've heard similar reports too. I've always been somewhat partial to Boss effects but I think the amp models might be more important than usual ... maybe.

I'm considering re-introducing some guitar to my repertoire but I'd like to do it without having to purchase an amp. In other words, some kind of preamp/effects setup into my Stick rig which is essentially a power amp and my SWR 15" cab with the tweeter. Not sure if that's even feasible or if it would sound like crap.

I suppose I could look at some bonafide preamps with builtin FX also like some of the stuff that Rocktron makes.

Hey there, just a suggestion, if you get an old GP-100 (Boss multi-effects + preamp), you may have what you are looking for... or something of that type of effects. There are a bunch for sales out there, and in my opinion it has the best preamp for the price for a guitar. I use it both with my Stick and Warr Guitar, as the punch it gives to the clean sound is unreal. The reason I am pointing this out is that I have used this, with a guitar, with a srw amp and cab with the tweeter and it sounded excellent. I would not have changed that for a JS-120 if I had had it.

Also, if your guitar will be distorted, I wonder if you would like to consider a soft rack.... I've been playing with Guitar Rig (I am Rock guitarist myself, more than a tapper I have to confess) and you can generate a very wide spectrum of sounds.... Just a thought, as this can be reused with the Stick, etc.

I recognized that I have not answered your question... :| . I am definitively a Boss/Roland user, at least I would vote for the Roland product based on years of continuous reliability

Regards

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I haven't spent much time with the new HD 500 and a 6 string, but my impression is that this latest generation of Line6 amp modeling is notably superior to previous versions (particularly the old "bean" stuff) and also now beats out the Boss COSM as well (which would include the GT-10). The amp/cabinet stuff just sounds and feels more alive and "authentic".

The Boss effects are more tweak-able and there are more modulation options (like changing amp/effects path based on playing dynamics) but I like the effects modeling on the POD HD 500 as well, enough that I've converted to Line6 after years of using Boss multi-effects (will still keep my SE-70s!) I find the simpler pedal-style effects options (3 or 4 knobs per effect), plus the good computer editor, helps me to be more productive coming up with useful sounds faster than with the Boss units.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Right now when I want to record guitar I use GuitarRig. All in all it sounds good but I always feel like there is something missing. Plus I'd rather get something dedicated should I decide to use guitar live.

I've heard what Rob said about the latest Line6 stuff. The most popular lines I've heard are that Line6 wins for amp models and Boss wins for effects.

But now I am starting to broaden the search a bit and I've been reading a lot of really good reviews of the Rocktron Prophesy II. Definitely a higher price point than the other units we've talked about but if it sounds that good it might be worth a try.

Anyone ever play through one of these?

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Regarding the Prophesy II, I am also extremely curious as to how the melody side of my Stick might sound through one of these.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sorry to keep replying to my own thread ...

I actually have an email thread going with a support guy at Rocktron and we've gotten onto the topic of the Voodu Valve. I've read some guys saying that they actually prefer this preamp to the Prophesy II and at almost half the price I am intrigued.

Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Glenn,

Sent you a PM on the VooDu Valve.

I own one and it's a very good unit. Felxible. Dead quiet. Has a really warm clean tone. Overdrive is very tweakable with a "pre" preamp EQ section. Very usable unit and a lot of horsepower in one rack space. Reverb section won't do the big open Lexicon type reverbs but will do basically everything else. All other effects are really solid.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Saw the PM. Will debate and get back to you.

The guy at Rocktron basically said the Voodu Valve was a great sounding unit. Basically the price difference between that and the Prophesy is hardware. The Prophesy is a two rack-space unit and has a ton of instant access knobs so that you can tweak on the fly.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery