It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:10 pm

Dr. Froth's Six Minute Century Rig 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Dr. Froth's Six Minute Century Rig
Howdy everyone... it took me a while to get this all bought and put together but here it is....

In the last few years I have really enjoyed my Carvin bass rig (I sold my Ampeg and the SWR stuff...wow...who knew right) so I wanted to stick with them. I got a 4x10 for the bass tones and a 4x12 for the guitar tones. I am running them through the Pod X3 pro because it can process them independantly two seperate outputs all within one unit (hell yeah). Both then get fed through a two channel comp/gate/sonic maximizer unit and finaly out too a carvin BX500 (low end) and a carvin TS100 (high end). I have a line six looper hooked up on the bass side and a whammy and wah pedal hooked up on the high side. It takes two wireless units to make this monstrosity cord free and I have chosen line six again for the digital wireless that does not have frequency degredation issues.

While a bit on the complicates side, this set up allows me to to play solo bass stuff, bass with lead, all lead, or whatever I need on the fly. I'm looking forward to test driving this bastard on our next show with label mates Mindflow in April.

I'm still dialing in all the tones and stuff...but once I'm happy I'll post a vid.

Happy Sticking,

Dr. Froth

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:00 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Dr. Froth's Six Minute Century Rig
Very nice Doc !

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Very interesting. Yes, please post a demonstration vid

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:21 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Rob... I'm mighty proud. Now i just have to learn how to play...hahaha

@Panther...you got it. As soon as I feel I have dialed it in to my liking (theres only a billion combonations...how hard can it be..lol) I will put something up.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nice rig. I'm actually a Carvin fan, both my current basses are 2010 Carvins. An LB70F and LB76! I've never used their amps, I hear mixed reviews in regard to build quality but apparently you've had no issues with yours. (My current bass head is a Markbass Tube 800, amazing and only 6.5 lbs) I KNOW Carvin basses are great, amazing bang for the buck instruments. And that's coming form a bass player who used to be an admitted Alembic bass "only" snob! I sold my 3 Alembics a few years ago, great basses but I had way too much cash tied up into them. Amazing instruments to be sure but NOT great bang for the buck instruments IMO.

Anyway the rig looks great ... please post some videos or sound bites when you have the chance.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Carvin basses never felt quite right for me though they always sounded great and I know several guys that swear by them. The most important thing is to find something that works for you. I always thought they had awesome finishes. I reccomend their amps completely though... great sound at a fraction of the cost. I bought a Pro Bass 300 and a 410 from a guy on criegslist for $300 to use as a back up rig and after I heard it...it became my primary rig. It sounded better than my $2500 Ampeg setup. Holy crap.

I'd love to have an orange quilt top finish on my NS/Stick. Hmm... maybe some mother of pearl jack-o-lantern inlays too....sigh. My only complaint with, what is otherwise, a perfect instrument for me is just the asthetics of it. Oh well...better that than the things that really matter (sound, feel, intonation...etc).

EDIT: ...and I will I'm dreaming of upgrades that will never happen...I'd also like a whammy bar on the bottem bridge...lol

And no worries...I'll post some vids soon.

Thanks guys.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:38 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Must...not...get...gas....
Must...not...get...gas....

..oh no! Too late! :o

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery