It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

non-midi Pads for melody side 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: non-midi Pads for melody side
Oh, MAN!!! That Timeline thing is the coolest effects unit I've seen in quite some time. I'm not even a delay/reverb guy, and I think I'm gonna have to get it. I've gotta figure out some gear to sell to get one... Anyone wanna trade one for a goat?

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Greg you have nailed what I'm looking for. and thanks to everyone else So I wonder if i need separate boxes or an all in 1 effects unit.

what did you use?

Brett
Hi Brett,

I usually just use two SE-70s, one for each side of The Stick. With the StepABout you can run one side through two separate paths. I don't know much about the current crop of multi-effects units, but I would venture there are some that would do a good job on both channels. The nice thing about having two separate devices is that it's easier to alter just one channel if needed.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post non-midi Pads for melody side
The POD X3 and HD 500 have separate inputs and separate channels. I have both an X3 Live and an HD 500, and they both sound good. I have been able to create good pads for either bass or melody with the 500, using Slow Gear, a volume pedal/delay effect, and something they call Particle Verb. I like to pad the bass side, put a little distortion on the melody side, and rock out Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Truly cool. BTW Greg, congrats on the DVD. You should be hearing from me within the week.

Jim

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I do a thing where I use a volume pedal ,delay and a Boss loop Station. I do simple chordal volume swells to a long delay ,send that to the looper and then reverse the loop. fun stuff.Simple.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Greg you have nailed what I'm looking for. and thanks to everyone else So I wonder if i need separate boxes or an all in 1 effects unit.

what did you use?

Brett

Hi Brett,

you might consider a line6 M9 or M13. These boxes include a slow gear effect combined with a delay, and some very nice reverbs that work well for pads. I have an example here: http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn/alligator-peak, The beginning is just the Stick with an M13.

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
So is there something non midi that I can use to get lush pad sounds to fill up sonic space AND still have my articulation?
All recommendations are appreciated
t

Hi Brett, I use a "Freeze Reverb" effect for this and am very happy with it. What I do is to assign an expression pedal to increase volume by one direction and reverb feedback (lenght of the reverb) by the other direction. As you see this makes a tool for "swelling in" (soft violin-like attack) tones/chords and let then hang until the next note is played. Here's an example, although I use that fix more on the flute in this piece - but it kind of gives an idea of what I'm talking about:
[YouTube]http://youtu.be/oKARdo8xLV0[/YouTube]

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:

what did you use?

Brett

One big thing to keep in mind is that the order of the individual effects matters in this application. As you look at different options, keep in mind that not all multi effects units let you re arrange the order of the individual effects.

For what it's worth, I switched over to a Fractal Audio AxeFX II last year. I play a lot of guitar as well as Stick (and some bass). That unit (while costing roughly the same as the military budget of a small country) is off the chart flexible and sounds amazing as a preamp and effects units. Had an AxeFX Ultra before and it was great, but this thing is bonkers. So much processing power, it does these kind of big ambient effects while it files it nails as it's waiting for a bus.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:45 am
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I am surprised by how "hardware" are the answers that you got so far, I believe Per's suggestion is the only software based alternative in the list.

I have had several hardware units (Boss VF-1, Roland GP-100, TC Electronics G Force, some Line 6 units) and none of them have the unlimited flexibility of the software solutions available for reverb. Please note I am strictly referring to reverb, as pre amps, compressors and distortion units are still way better in hardware units in my opinion.

I would suggest these, they work very well:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-guitar-rig/reflektor/

Or Guitar Rig's PsycheDelay, you can set it up to do a lot of reverb tricks.

Peace

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:40 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Karma wrote:
For what it's worth, I switched over to a Fractal Audio AxeFX II last year. I play a lot of guitar as well as Stick (and some bass). That unit (while costing roughly the same as the military budget of a small country) is off the chart flexible and sounds amazing as a preamp and effects units. Had an AxeFX Ultra before and it was great, but this thing is bonkers. So much processing power, it does these kind of big ambient effects while it files it nails as it's waiting for a bus.

Does the AxeFX II still have the limitation that the envelope triggering is not independent in each channel (i.e. if you wanted separate bass and melody ADSRs), or was that improved?

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

robmartino wrote:
Does the AxeFX II still have the limitation that the envelope triggering is not independent in each channel (i.e. if you wanted separate bass and melody ADSRs), or was that improved?

Rob, there are multiple ways to generate an envelope with the AXEII. There are two master ADSR contollers that you could apply to any number of parameters along the signal chain (i.e. you could have an ADSR control the level of a volume or effects block, control the master volume of an amp, contol the mix on a reverb, etc. etc. etc. etc. - too many possibilities to name). Once you have the ADSR values set, you can also change the curve of how the ADSR or other master controllers (including midi cc messages) are applied to any paramater (linear application or any sort of spline curve you want). Basically it'd be one ADSR for melody and the other for the bass side of the Stick.

Alternatively, there are two gate/expanders in the unit. You could assign one each to melody and bass and then set them to different attack times (up to 1 second each I think). This leaves the two master ADSRs to do other things.

May be some other way of doing this also, but these are the two I know offhand. You may enjoy pulling down a copy of the AxeEdit editor program (free) and playing with it. You wouldn't be able to hear anything of course, but it's a good window into the structure of the device and how flexible it can be.

edit: forgot to mention that I run two completely independent signal paths for melody and bass sides of my Stick in the AxeFXII. Each signal has it's own preamp, poweramp, speaker cab, effects, etc.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 am