It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

Experiences with OSX 10.7 Lion ? 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Experiences with OSX 10.7 Lion ?
Hi,

I was just about to update my Macbook pro from Snow Leopard to Lion but read the reviews in the app-store and they made me doubt.
Does anyone have experience with Lion (especially with regards to the music/recording side of it) ?
I did check my vendor sites (Line, Focusrite and Roland) and they all seem to have compatible versions of the drivers and software that I use now with SL.

Cheers,
Bas

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Never change à winning team...

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Experiences with OSX 10.7 Lion ?
Haven't had the guts so far... but if you have Time Machine you can try without too much risk. So, make sure you make one last Time Machine copy, then update to Lion. If Lion gives problems, you can go back to Snow Leopard without losing data.
I think I'll wait till Logic X arrives... then I can do 2 updates at once :-)
Rgeard, Jaap

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm holding off since my professional activities rely on my MBP. When I get some down-time next year I will upgrade - if the reported issues (slow 'n' sloppy) are fixed by then.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Bas,
I am running Lion on my MacBook Pro since it's debut without any problems.
Oliver

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My wife has had all kinds of issues, but I have had none. It has been great for me.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:13 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Painless update for me. I haven't done much with it yet as far as recording but I've fired up various tools just to make sure everything works and haven't had any hiccups. I should also point out that I went from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion all in the same week.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've been following the lion forum on the Apple site since the start and it seems there are potentially tons of bugs with the system. Worse thing is the issues are NOT universal, they aren't the same for everyone, so it's hard for Apple to zero in on the issues and fix them. Some people have no issues at all (like Glenn) and for others users lion is a total total disaster. I've also heard there are issues with Logic using lion, some none Apple plug ins aren't supported and some interfaces don't have the proper drivers for lion. At the very least, if you use Logic or another DAW make sure your interface maker has developed a driver for lion before taking the jump or your daw may be dead in the water. Also older Apple power PC programs no longer work and a lot of Apple users use those extensively. For me, I'm sticking with Snow Leopard until I start hearing better things about lion. Snow Leopard works amazingly well, is stable as a rock on both my Macs and all I'm really missing that lion would give me is the cloud. Most of the other changes Apple has made with lion is really fluff to try to make the program act more like an iphone and ipad to bring those users into the fold.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks for sharing people :-)
I'm gonna stick (pun intended) with SL. I already upgraded once from Leopard to Snow Leopard and got into trouble right away, but that was because of Line6 not having a compatible driver for SL. Of course, that has been fixed now and I can also say that SL is rock solid over here.
And although I have checked all my hard- and software vendors for compatibility (all good with SL), I'm not gonna take the change for now.
Yep, never change a winning team, don't try to fix it if it ain't broke :-)

@Jaap: is there gonna be a Logic X ? I read on several sites that 9 might be the last version (don't hope so..)

Cheers,
Bas.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:24 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Well, on the Apple Logic forum most people do expect Logic X to arrive soon. And there have also been rumors that Apple learned from Final Cut X, so Logic X would probably a less dramatic change. But it's all rumors...

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:56 am